The Student Room Group

Is it ok to lie in your personal statement ?

I mean, providing you have "evidence" to back up for the lie.

I don't morally - because I'm not going to take that into consideration.
As long as you don't get caught. I was going to exaggerate but I'd had done more Haskell programming than I actually had done , but I took it out on the last draft. Then I got interviewed by one of the people who designed Haskell.
No! Of course it isn't!

The only person you're cheating is yourself. You shouldn't have to lie on a personal statement, if you are then interviewed about your lie and you slip up... you'll look terrible to the interviewers. It's just not worth it. Be true to yourself. You shouldn't even consider this option, let alone ask the question.
as long as you can make a convincing case that you're not lying, go for it
I mean, it's a tough world of competition out there - you're going to be facing many, many people who're lying on their resumes. it's basically a state of equality if you can also lie - you just need to lie and make it seem like fact.
Reply 4
To outright lie, eg. 'I've done Gold DofE', when you've only done a bronze practice is out of the question. However, if you've done a Gold practice, intending to do the real, accredited one, then I guess it's permissible.

One thing I like to do is to 'embellish' instead, if you were to lack confidence and not like talking to people and crowds then say you're a 'good and attentive listener' instead.
Don't just make things up but 'rebranding' (as someone else has mentioned above) seems ok eg. 'I enjoy new people and places' (even if you're a bit shy) or 'I am very goal-centered although I balance this in accordance with other demands in my life' (even if in the past you've occasionally missed deadlines or freaked out and panicked over a getting a task done).
Yes. Especially when there are no interviews.
If there are no interviews you can lie about EVERYTHING. For example i talked about books i'd 'read' and things i'd 'done' related to my course. Capitalism at its finest right here.
Reply 7
Original post by Kush008

Yes:colone:
And what if your reference contradicts your lie without you realising? It's not worth the risk. Unis can withdraw offers if they find out that you're lying
Reply 9
Thanks guys. After taking everything into consideration - I think I'm going to exaggerate the truth.
Reply 10
I didn't because I'm rubbish at remembering when I lie, I also apparently have a very obvious tell and I had to attend interviews. I didn't want to fluster and get mumbled over words etc.
If you have to lie or exaggerate to make a case for how much you enjoy the subject you're applying for then have a long hard think about the 3+ years of extra effort you'll need to put in to stay motivated.

It's a false economy. If you can't be arsed to do the reading/super curriculars now (generally a handful of evenings effort) that means you're going to seriously struggle to do the self directed work during your degree.
Original post by Kush008

I agree with a lot of the other posters- I think embellishing the truth is OK, but I definitely wouldn't write about books that I'd read if I hadn't read it because that's just silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, no. Its a criminal offence. Manufacturing "evidence" is a separate offence. Not worth the risk.
Reply 14
I wouldn't lie on a personal statement because if your not very good at lieing and they call you for an interview then they'll see right through you. However i think making something sound a little better than it was (enhancing the truth) is okay.
Hey, aside from the ethical issues, which I am sure you will make your own mind up about:

- If do lie on your UCAS application you can end up having your applications withdrawn and being banned from re-applying that year.

- If the University realizes, then your offer with then would be null and void, and they may not accept future applications from you.

- If you actually enroll onto a programme, an it comes to light that you lied on your application, then the University may withdraw you from the programme even if you are part way through.

It can be viewed really seriously, so be aware. There is also a difference between lying (where there is an intent to deceive) and things not working out as planned (where circumstances mean you haven't done what you said you will, such as not gaining some work experience you had planned because you broke your leg) - the later is understandable.

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Yeah I kinda lied when talking about books I read. In reality I skimmed through a few and picked a few themes to talk about. I also exaggerated what I actually did on work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending