The Student Room Group

How to force myself to wake up early

I'm trying to get back into a routine, but whenever I set my alarm for early I just wake up, turn it off and sleep again!

I'm trying to sleep earlier to help but often when I do this I just end up waking up in the middle of the night or just lying in bed not able to sleep until really late :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Set multiple alarms.... buy a rooster, idk
Original post by davidguettafan
I'm trying to get back into a routine, but whenever I set my alarm for early I just wake up, turn it off and sleep again!

I'm trying to sleep earlier to help but often when I do this I just end up waking up in the middle of the night or just lying in bed not able to sleep until really late :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trying exercising to the point of fatigue from hard training during the day/night before bed, so when it comes to bed time, you'll sleep like a baby and when you get quality sleep, it's a lot easier to get up.

Also make sure you sleep at the same time every day.
(edited 7 years ago)
I saw an alarm clock somewhere in which when it goes off, it literally takes off and flies around the room. The only way to stop the alarm from going on is to chase the clock around the room, catch it and put it back onto its base. You could try something like that?
Original post by UWS
Set multiple alarms.... buy a rooster, idk

Lol a rooster

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact you're waking up during the night is probably not helping.

Try going to bed, starting off quite early, seeing what time you wake up. If it's too early, try adjusting it slightly, adding an extra 15 mins or so, until you're comfortable enough to wake up near the time your alarm would go off.

Also as suggested, set an alarm but set it at the other side of the room. Having a phone near your bed encourages the snooze button and distracts your sleep if you check your phone in the middle of the night.

Good morning routine: open curtains first thing. Broad daylight is usually what I need first thing and water; that being through showering, splashing water over you or drinking water.
If you don't wake up early I'll kill you.
Make an appointment or schedule something for 8am, that way you'll have to get up early
I'm trying to do this exact same thing. Set alarm for 9, get up and turn it off, back to sleep, wake up at 11. I know it's because I fall asleep so late but it's just a habit I have to really really REALLY ****ING try to break.

I used to do squats while brushing my teeth to get my body up and moving quicker and doing stretches after. I will try this again.
Original post by New_Frontiers
If you don't wake up early I'll kill you.

Seems legit :holmes:

Spoiler

Original post by ForestShadow
Seems legit :holmes:

Spoiler

I feel in the mood for cyanide. :holmes:
Reply 11
Set two different alarms multiple times every 3 minutes
Keep your curtains open while you sleep- the light will natually wake you up
Whatever time i go to sleep i wake up around 8 because i have my wimdow right next to me
Reply 13
Use the SleepBot app or http://sleepyti.me/

Edit: plus the above post, as sunlight really kicks your sleep cycle into the correct rhythm. It helps if you go outside for sunlight during the day, with exercise coming as a bonus. It might not be the best idea in the height of summer though as the sun will probably disturb your sleep too early and also keep you awake too late.
(edited 7 years ago)
Set an alarm on your phone and put your phone in your pillow case. Then when it goes off you'll be like wth where is my phone?!? By the time you find it and turn it off you'll feel a bit more awake.
stop being so lazy
Have a noisy and annoying alarm which is placed away from your bed so that you have to get up to turn the thing off...the more annoying the better otherwise you will be able to ignore it.

I find if I go to bed early (anytime before midnight), I am awake 2-3 hours later. My usual bed time is around 1.30am and and I am up for 7am, on nights when I don't need to be up at 7, bedtime is very elastic (last night was 2.30) but I am always awake and up by 8am (somewhat annoying when I have struggled to get to sleep but my body just will not allow it!)

I blame baby sitting duties and an early morning paper round when I was a teenager for my sleep patterns, I have to be very ill to have any semblance of what is called an average night sleep and even then, I still can't manage the magic 8 hours!
I struggled with sleep patterns for years; You've just got to force yourself to stick with it. If you're really tired from waking up in the night, then the next night you might have a better chance of sleeping anyway!

One trick that really helped me was, when your alarm goes off, force yourself to at least sit up, even if you just stare out of the window sleepily for the next 10 minutes - at least you're unlikely to actually fall asleep sitting up!
Dont do it. Tiredness can Kill
Reply 19
For going to bed early, try and stay away from screens (TV, phone, laptop, tablet) about an hour before you intend to go to bed. For example I'll either read a book, do some push ups or something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending