The Student Room Group

DiDA Level 2 ICT Qualification

Our school doesn't do a ICT GCSE as such, but instead opts to enter us for the ICT qualification mentioned in this thread title.

The qualification consists of 25% exam and 75% coursework (pretty sure this is the ratio, not 100% sure though) and I had gained a B on the exam in Year 10. The rest of the coursework was sent off to the examiners back in May, so alongside the other GCSE exams. I therefore had no idea what my coursework grade would be, however I was promised that because of the quality of my coursework, I would overall get either a A/A* depending where the grade boundaries fell.

However, I came out with a C overall. If I remember correctly, my overall mark for both exam and coursework was 44. Everyone else in my school had also got Cs in this subject, even those who were told that they were going to be getting straight A*s.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this qualification and come out with these anomalies. The coursework project was titled 'What's that attraction' if anyone else is unsure whether they sat this qualification or not. School told us all by letter that these results are anomalies, but did anyone else in other schools experience these weird drops in grades too, or is it just my school?
Original post by xEmilyxx
Our school doesn't do a ICT GCSE as such, but instead opts to enter us for the ICT qualification mentioned in this thread title.

The qualification consists of 25% exam and 75% coursework (pretty sure this is the ratio, not 100% sure though) and I had gained a B on the exam in Year 10. The rest of the coursework was sent off to the examiners back in May, so alongside the other GCSE exams. I therefore had no idea what my coursework grade would be, however I was promised that because of the quality of my coursework, I would overall get either a A/A* depending where the grade boundaries fell.

However, I came out with a C overall. If I remember correctly, my overall mark for both exam and coursework was 44. Everyone else in my school had also got Cs in this subject, even those who were told that they were going to be getting straight A*s.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this qualification and come out with these anomalies. The coursework project was titled 'What's that attraction' if anyone else is unsure whether they sat this qualification or not. School told us all by letter that these results are anomalies, but did anyone else in other schools experience these weird drops in grades too, or is it just my school?

Hi Emily,

Sorry to hear about this. As with the nature of coursework, teachers mark it first and sometimes they're too harsh or too lenient. The coursework should have been internally moderated too, if the team of teachers was big enough. This is done to ensure there won't be any big shocks like this when it comes to results day. It looks like your teacher may have been too lenient in marking your work and the exam board has subsequently remarked it. You could ask for the test script back to see what went wrong or if you really want to, a remark. But this is up to you.

A C is still very good, so please don't be too hard on yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
Hi Emily,

Sorry to hear about this. As with the nature of coursework, teachers mark it first and sometimes they're too harsh or too lenient. The coursework should have been internally moderated too, if the team of teachers was big enough. This is done to ensure there won't be any big shocks like this when it comes to results day. It looks like your teacher may have been too lenient in marking your work and the exam board has subsequently remarked it. You could ask for the test script back to see what went wrong or if you really want to, a remark. But this is up to you.

A C is still very good, so please don't be too hard on yourself.

School is currently enquiring as they believe it was a mistake of the exam board as this qualification was only just put out. I think remarks will definitely take place after the enquiring is done, either that or the school has taught the qualification wrong seeing as it's everyone who has dropped in grades. Especially as there doesn't seem to be anything posted online about EDEXCL making marking mistakes.

Its just very frustrating getting told you're overachieving. There may have been other issues why the exam grades were brought down for our school in this particular subject.

Quick Reply

Latest