The Student Room Group

8 Cs at GCSE to a target university - AMA

Long story short, I have managed to go from a completely poor academic background, into a target university. I don't usually share these kind of events, as I hate to draw attention to myself, especially when people may perceive it as "bragging", but I know that many people want to get into the industry, despite not having the best grades, so I am giving some of those individuals an opportunity to see how I managed to pull this one off.

Ask away. (I may not be able to respond to every question, but I will try my best) Eventually I will close this thread, and request a delete.

Scroll to see replies

What was your carbs: protein ratio and how many calories did you consumer per day? Also whats ur bench?

Thanks
What subject are you studying?
What were your a levels and grades?
Finally, out of interest, what other universities did you apply to? (I assume the target is Warwick as in another thread you said you firmed it?)
What university do you study at and what subject?
What were your A-level grades and what subjects?
Why did you under perform at GCSE?
What's your future plan?
Original post by LifeIsFine
What subject are you studying?
What were your a levels and grades?
Finally, out of interest, what other universities did you apply to? (I assume the target is Warwick as in another thread you said you firmed it?)

A levels were in Economics, Business, Russian & IT - Achieved A*AAA. At the same time, had a C in English Language and Mathematics, self taught both English and Mathematics to A - close to A* actually, while doing my A2 levels.

Warwick, CASS, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham - all offers except UCL, where I received a rejection.
Original post by glebp
A levels were in Economics, Business, Russian & IT - Achieved A*AAA. At the same time, had a C in English Language and Mathematics, self taught both English and Mathematics to A - close to A* actually, while doing my A2 levels.

Warwick, CASS, UCL, Manchester, Nottingham - all offers except UCL, where I received a rejection.

So you are studying econ?
What made you choose Warwick over UCL?
Original post by grassntai
What university do you study at and what subject?
What were your A-level grades and what subjects?
Why did you under perform at GCSE?
What's your future plan?

Mentioned in my previous post, about the grades.

I was a rebellious teenager, completely rejected the idea of education. I was also in a very bad social circle which has adversely affected my attitude. In addition, I did not grow up in the best area.

My future plan is work within the investment banking division, but I am assessing which area would suit me the most.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LifeIsFine
So you are studying econ?
What made you choose Warwick over UCL?

I have been rejected from UCL. I study at Warwick Business School and I am doing International Management.
Why not resit the GCSEs? I mean, if you can utterly destroy A levels like you have, doing GCSEs would be a breeze.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Why not resit the GCSEs? I mean, if you can utterly destroy A levels like you have, doing GCSEs would be a breeze.

Mathematics and English are the only GCSEs you really need. I believe that retaking things like sciences won't add a lot of value to my application. There is an opportunity cost here, which is time. I am currently self studying mathematics at A level, which takes up some time.
Original post by glebp
I have been rejected from UCL. I study at Warwick Business School and I am doing International Management.

sigh, Sometimes i think im blind :tongue:
Original post by glebp
Mathematics and English are the only GCSEs you really need. I believe that retaking things like sciences won't add a lot of value to my application. There is an opportunity cost here, which is time. I am currently self studying mathematics at A level, which takes up some time.

Well, the workload of GCSEs compared with A levels is quite minor, and A level maths has a lot of GCSE maths in it, so you could probably study both no problem.
What were your AS grades?
Reply 13
How'd you revise for a subjective subject like History? I did economics but I did pretty badly at it. Can you give me some tips on how to completely ace a subject like History?
Original post by 999tigger
What were your AS grades?

AAAA
Original post by Dnkz7
How'd you revise for a subjective subject like History? I did economics but I did pretty badly at it. Can you give me some tips on how to completely ace a subject like History?

Never done History, so could not give you advice. Each subject needs its own niche methods.
Reply 16
I received a B in English and C in maths, starting AS this September and hope to go to a Russle group uni, do you think I should retake Maths as well and make that a B?
Original post by glebp
Long story short, I have managed to go from a completely poor academic background, into a target university. I don't usually share these kind of events, as I hate to draw attention to myself, especially when people may perceive it as "bragging", but I know that many people want to get into the industry, despite not having the best grades, so I am giving some of those individuals an opportunity to see how I managed to pull this one off.

Ask away. (I may not be able to respond to every question, but I will try my best) Eventually I will close this thread, and request a delete.

How many hours did you do per day to get those A-Level grades?
5-6

Weekends - 8

I also had rest days, and I burned out plenty of times, which forced me to go on a holiday for 5-6 days, while bunking lessons, was fun.
Reply 19
What was you schools pass rate at GCSE?

Also congrats..for getting into a good uni!!.Proof of hard work

Quick Reply

Latest