The Student Room Group

Journalism

is anyone studying this course at University or are getting sponsored etc? This has been a course that i have been considering doing and was wondering what A`level subjects would be best to keep on.
At the moment i'm doing politics, media, english lit. and history, but was thinking of dropping media. Would that be a smart move? What work experience do i need behind me, does anyone know any good websites for courses such as these?

any advice would be great:smile:
The only thing I can suggest is to do as much work experience as you can possibly get. Much more important than the actual A-levels you do. Politics, Eng lit and History sound good, broad subjects to do if you're hoping to get into Journalism - and are probably more "reputable" than Media.

Bear in mind, though, that a Journalism degree isn't a direct route into the industry, and most newspapers and magazines require employees to have a year diploma-type thing with the NCJT as well, web address is http://www.nctj.com/
Reply 2
PrincessKaty

Bear in mind, though, that a Journalism degree isn't a direct route into the industry, and most newspapers and magazines require employees to have a year diploma-type thing with the NCJT

Really? that's interesting. Why do people take journalism as a course then? I am really stuck on what course i want to do. I like travelling and i definately don't want to be working in a 9-5 job, stuck in the office!

thanks for your help:smile:
I think a degree in Journalism is quite theoretical, and concentrates more on actual writing. NCJT courses are short (6 or 9 months) and really intense, you take classes in law, public affairs, writing and shorthand. And you have to do loads of work experience during NCJT courses, so it's quite vocational. I think employers like applicants to have passed the NCTJ course because it's so difficult, they know they'll be fit for anything!

If you do decide to go into Journalism, you will need some NCTJ books on law, public affairs and shorthand. I have such books you can buy :biggrin: I started the NCTJ course in 2002 but it wasn't for me.
Reply 4
How much are journalists salaries these days?
Start out pretty low!
Reply 6
PrincessKaty
Start out pretty low!

i would have thought that. But isn't that the same for most jobs? the more experience you get and effort ypu put into the job, the more your salary will increase.

About journalism, yes, i do have a short-hand book and my mum's very good at it, so she could help me there :rolleyes:
I currently do politics, so that should help me on the current affairs part and funnily enough, i was thinking about putting law down as a course option.
RyanW
How much are journalists salaries these days?

Shit. Journalists don't do it for the money, it's all about job satisfaction...

Starting out on a national paper or as a BBC trainee you'll be on £20k. Starting as a junior writer for a local paper you'll be on a measly £12k, £15k in London. And this is typically after having done a degree and maybe also an NTCJ qualificaion. For freelancing it's maybe £200/article for a national paper or magazine, and as low as 10p/word for music journalism and eZines.
Reply 8
Jools
Shit. Journalists don't do it for the money, it's all about job satisfaction...

Starting out on a national paper or as a BBC trainee you'll be on £20k. Starting as a junior writer for a local paper you'll be on a measly £12k, £15k in London. And this is typically after having done a degree and maybe also an NTCJ qualificaion. For freelancing it's maybe £200/article for a national paper or magazine, and as low as 10p/word for music journalism and eZines.

That's really below standard level!

Latest

Trending

Trending