The Student Room Group

Gap Year Thread 2016/17

GAP YEAR THREAD 2016/17

I'm interested in chatting to other people who are taking a gap year in 2016/17. I would love to hear what everyone else is going to be getting up to this coming year!

I myself have a few plans that I am happy to share:

-I am doing Project 365 and so for 365 days (from the 1st of September) I will be uploading a photo every day to my Facebook account.
-I am doing some work experience in a local school after a change in career plans (from engineer to teacher...)
-In light of the career change I need to reapply to university, oh the joys of personal statements again!
-I am completing my Girl Guiding Leadership Qualification hopefully!
-Get a second job (preferably as a lifeguard) to earn some money
-I am my hockey club's publicity officer for the year so I want to increase our social media presence
-I have applied to AmeriCamp and hope to get #plACed to go to America next summer.
-Get fitter... well given my fitness level is virtually non-existent that shouldn't be too hard but I do want to try!

What is everyone else up to?

On a different note: Are parents charging you "rent" if you are living there for the year? Mine haven't specifically asked other than for me to help out around the house however I feel that once I have a steady wage I will be contributing willingly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

I started a gap year thread but just found yours so I thought I would come and say hi :smile: My name is Cher and I am taking a gap year after not liking any of the universities I applied to (haha!) and not feeling ready yet.

I really want to get a job this year and earn my own money to go on some holidays in summer! I'm applying to uni this November to hopefully go next September to study Graphic Design.

I live in London, whereabouts do you live?

Are all your friends going to uni this year, all but one of mine are and I know it's gonna be pretty hard at the beginning to get used to feeling a bit lonely and left out. Are you feeling like this too? Please tell me it's not just me haha!

You sound like you have a crazy and exciting year ahead :biggrin: the 'getting fit' part of it is something that pops into my mind from time to time but seems to be something I push to the back of my mind haha!

It would be great if we could have lots of people talking on this thread, might make us all feel less alone (or maybe just me haha!)

xx
Reply 2
Original post by Stecher
X

Hi Cher!

I live in Somerset and yes, all of my school friends are off at uni this year and are going to be spread across England and Wales which isn't too great (for me I mean, for them it is awesome!) However, I am very lucky that I am part of a hockey club and a Guide Unit and so have lots of friends at different ages who aren't off to uni so I am not going to be completely on my own but yes I do feel a bit lonely and left out xD

My school friends and I have already organised to meet up when they are all back at Christmas so that should be awesome and is something to be looking forward to!

I definitely need to get fitter and fortunately get free gym use with my job which is awesome!

What else have you got planned this year?

I hope that we can get a lot of people talking on this thread, it will be nice to have a social group and bounce ideas of off one another for what to do this year!

Bryony xx
Reply 3
Original post by BryonyG98
Hi Cher!

I live in Somerset and yes, all of my school friends are off at uni this year and are going to be spread across England and Wales which isn't too great (for me I mean, for them it is awesome!) However, I am very lucky that I am part of a hockey club and a Guide Unit and so have lots of friends at different ages who aren't off to uni so I am not going to be completely on my own but yes I do feel a bit lonely and left out xD

My school friends and I have already organised to meet up when they are all back at Christmas so that should be awesome and is something to be looking forward to!

I definitely need to get fitter and fortunately get free gym use with my job which is awesome!

What else have you got planned this year?

I hope that we can get a lot of people talking on this thread, it will be nice to have a social group and bounce ideas of off one another for what to do this year!

Bryony xx

Hey Bryony,

Ah you're lucky that you still have lots of friends at home. I know I'll make friends at work and through other things I will do throughout the year but the next few months will be pretty crappy :frown:

But yes! Christmas will be great and me and my friends are planning our second holiday together in Greece next summer so I will have something to look forward to :smile:

Hahaha that's cool, I think I might just have to stick to my local park for morning runs...or jogs...or walks :biggrin:

I really want to start up my own business before the end of the year selling products I've designed myself and start selling them throughout next year and hopefully have a stall on a market in the summer and spring. That would just be so fun and I'm really excited to start ordering some stock soon. Gotta start designing my website for that soon too, so a lot of my year will be me getting it all ready and set up.

My bestfriend has applied for Americamp and is sooo excited, I wish you both luck in getting chosen! How long are you going for, my friend is going for 3 months but I know others who have done 2.

Can't wait for this group to get bigger :biggrin:

xx
Reply 4
Original post by Stecher
X

I'm sure you will get through the next few months just fine; if you live in London I'm presuming the social scene is pretty good (I live in a village and the nearest city is 40 minutes away). What about your one friend that isn't off to uni? What are they up to?

My and my friends had a group holiday to Cornwall, not sure what everyone else is planning on doing next summer though! Although one has said they are coming out to America to travel with me after camp (if I get placed!). I'm hoping to do 13 weeks so just over 3 months of which 4 would be travelling! I can't wait already, in fact this weekend I need to film my video!

I would go running, but I don't run... I tend to use the cross trainer/bike/rowing machine xD My knees don't particularly like impact and so I'm having to work up to running, particularly on concrete.

What sort of products do you design and could I see a few?

Me neither, I hope that with us chatting in here, people will see it and join in (:
Reply 5
Yeah I'm sure I'll be alright, I have a few friends still in London but they will be pretty busy year with work, uni and college. But my best friend is working this year and is planning to go to America like you but I'm sure I will see her a lot this year and meet up with my friends when they come back home to London. Yeah that is true, it is pretty lively in London, have you ever been?

I love Cornwall, been twice and it's the best! Me and my friends went on holiday to Portugal this summer for a week and it was the best week of my life! If you and your friends decide to go on holiday in the summer I couldn't recommend Portugal (specifically Albufeira) more :smile:

That's so exciting! What kind of thing do you have to say in your video?

The cross trainer is fun but that's as far as I will go XD I think I just need a bit of motivation haha

Phone cases, compact mirrors, notepads, T-shirts, prints etc. that kind of thing :smile: of course! I'm working on a few things at the moment but haven't ordered any stock yet :frown: I'll be sure to post some of my work on this thread once I get them all sorted, would love to know what you think of them!

YES! Would be so nice to create a little gap year community!

xx
Reply 6
Original post by Stecher
X

I've been to London a few times although never gone out in London as such, mainly just shopping trips!

I went to Portugal with my family this year, it was amazing! Is it bad that I half hope that they don't go on a group holiday without me! Obviously I wouldn't tell them not to as it is my choice to go to America but it would be slightly annoying...

In your video you have to display your personality and also show off your skills from your application (: Has your best friend done hers yet? You should try and get her into our community!

Same, I wish the motivation was there, right now I'm sat at home and working every evening which is kind of annoying! I just want to get a second job sorted out (applied to Currys yesterday!) and then I think I will have a bit more enthusiasm for everything!

It'd be awesome to see them when your done (: I would love to be kept up to date. Might even order a few!

xx
Reply 7
I've been to London a few times although never gone out in London as such, mainly just shopping trips!

I went to Portugal with my family this year, it was amazing! Is it bad that I half hope that they don't go on a group holiday without me! Obviously I wouldn't tell them not to as it is my choice to go to America but it would be slightly annoying...

In your video you have to display your personality and also show off your skills from your application (: Has your best friend done hers yet? You should try and get her into our community!

Same, I wish the motivation was there, right now I'm sat at home and working every evening which is kind of annoying! I just want to get a second job sorted out (applied to Currys yesterday!) and then I think I will have a bit more enthusiasm for everything!

It'd be awesome to see them when your done (: I would love to be kept up to date. Might even order a few!

xx

Yeah London is great for shopping haha! And the clubs I've been to in London are fun too :smile: I've never been to Somerset before but it looks really pretty.

I am definitely going back to Portugal in the next few years, I already miss it haha! And no I completely get it, I would feel the same! Maybe you could book a holiday with them before you go to America, for a week or even a weekend?

Oh that sounds scary! Hahaha! How long does the video have to be? Yeah for sure I'll talk to her about joining this thread, strength in numbers and that!

Where are you working at the moment? I think I'm going to work full time, well hopefully! Good luck with Curry's! Let me know how it goes :smile:

Awww thank you! That's so sweet, I'll be sure to send you a link to my website when it's ready :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Stecher
X

Somerset is quite a nice part of the country (from what I know) and the beaches certainly increase it's appeal!

Depending when I go I could be going mid May (which would be before they get back) but either way I should get to spend some of my summer with them! I think I definitely suffer from fomo, even though I would be having I good time myself!

I think about a minute and a half. I don't mind doing the video its just the fact that I think it goes on youtube so ANYONE can view it that scares me a bit!

Definitely talk to her about joining, strength in numbers is definitely a thing and I hope we get a decent community going here (:

I am currently a lifeguard/sports assistant at a local leisure centre. What about you? Where have you previously worked? I think total it would be about full time but not really because it would be two different jobs...(does that even make sense?) I will definitely let you know when I find out! I was actually told be a member of staff in store to apply and use his name so hopefully that may help a bit!

What universities did you apply do last year and why didn't you like them? Also have you thought about where to apply this year and how is the application process going without college to help?
Reply 9
Somerset is quite a nice part of the country (from what I know) and the beaches certainly increase it's appeal!

Depending when I go I could be going mid May (which would be before they get back) but either way I should get to spend some of my summer with them! I think I definitely suffer from fomo, even though I would be having I good time myself!

I think about a minute and a half. I don't mind doing the video its just the fact that I think it goes on youtube so ANYONE can view it that scares me a bit!

Definitely talk to her about joining, strength in numbers is definitely a thing and I hope we get a decent community going here (:

I am currently a lifeguard/sports assistant at a local leisure centre. What about you? Where have you previously worked? I think total it would be about full time but not really because it would be two different jobs...(does that even make sense?) I will definitely let you know when I find out! I was actually told be a member of staff in store to apply and use his name so hopefully that may help a bit!

What universities did you apply do last year and why didn't you like them? Also have you thought about where to apply this year and how is the application process going without college to help?

Awww it sounds lovely! I wish there were beaches in London haha, although I am a city girl for sure :smile:

OMG! Fomo is definitely kicking in today, said bye to 3 of my best friends today and they are all going to the same uni so MAJOR fomo today :frown: miss them already haha! Ah that's nice, at least you get to spend some of your summer with them, and you will be having the best summer in USA!

Oh that's not too bad then but yeah that is a bit scary haha! Good luck with it :biggrin:

Yeah for sure, I hope some more people join in, especially because most people are heading to uni and other people might be feeling as **** as me haha or having fomo like the both of us!

Oh wow that sounds so cool! Yeah I get you haha! Practically full-time. I'm not working at the moment I have to work on my portfolio in the next couple months but once I finish I will start applying for jobs, will be my first job! Yes please do :smile:

I applied to Kingston, Falmouth, Loughborough, Surrey and Southampton. The course at Surrey was not at all what I wanted to study, I convinced myself Falmouth and Loughborough were too far, didn't get into Kingston because my portfolio was practically empty XD and Southampton was too quiet for me as it was actually in Winchester which is a big change from London. Where have you been looking?

I really like the look of Leeds and Loughborough (as I am not worried about moving far anymore) but as we can apply to as many as we want, I have lots of research to do. I think I'l just have to research everything to make sure I don't miss deadlines and stuff. But my sixthform are great so I'm sure they would be happy to help if i needed it. Hopefully haha! How about you, you must have to write another personal statement eurgh!?

xx
Reply 10
Original post by Stecher
X

I think I am a bit of a combination however I have ruled out any university that doesn't have grass!

OMG I definitely get it so so much! 2 of my friends are going to the same university but I have already organised to go up and see them. They haven't headed off yet though. Its was saying goodbye to my best friend yesterday that hit me hard. You should try and organise to go up and stay with your friends, kip on their floor or something. (:

Thank you, has your friend done hers?

I applied to Loughborough too and absolutely loved it but unfortunately didn't get the grades to go there for engineering, might have a look for teaching though. I also applied to Exeter and loved it but that is only 40mins away so a tiny bit close. I still hold a place at Brighton however I will probably be withdrawing from there.

I have definitely decided on a campus uni and so far have really liked the look of Edge Hill but I still have a lot to look at! How come we can apply to as many as we like? I thought the 5 still applied although correct me if I am wrong.

Yes I am having to write a brand new personal statement which kind of sucks but I guess is also a good thing because it is about something I really like. I think that my sixth form are going to help me out too, just with checking it over etc.

xx
I'm on a gap year :smile:
Applying to universities this year as well, though unlike you guys I never applied in the first place!
I'm spending most of my time working and studying, but hoping to go travelling after my exams in June - literally no idea where I want to go to atm though tbh
Reply 12
Original post by k.russell
I'm on a gap year :smile:
Applying to universities this year as well, though unlike you guys I never applied in the first place!
I'm spending most of my time working and studying, but hoping to go travelling after my exams in June - literally no idea where I want to go to atm though tbh

Hi (:

Is there any reason that you didn't apply last year?

Have you thought about whether you want a campus or a city university?

What are you studying this year (I am presuming an A-Level retake with the mention of June exams however I could be wrong)

Have you already got a job or are you still trying to find one?

Bryony (:
I wasn't happy with my AS grades really, my college where quite strict about not predicting higher than achieved AS grades, so I wanted to wait as I knew I could do better than predicted.
I haven't really thought too much about that, I've been focussing a lot more on the sort of course I want to study.
I'm applying to UCL which is obviously a city uni lol, Durham which is sort of both I guess? Bath which is in a city, but a bit of a boring one lol (though very pretty) it is close to Bristol though and Cambridge which is basically a city in itself, there's not a lot else going on in Cambridge apart from the uni really but I'm not really likely to get in there lol so not worrying about it too much.
This year I'm studying for an AS in further maths and I am considering resitting one chem exam cos I was really close to the A* boundary, but may not bother as it's unlikely to matter much even if I did manage to get it up. Studying is also referring to related reading to my course, which is something I am trying to find time for.
I do have a job, I work in a restaurant and have done for 18 months. I used to just wash up, but have been promoted to a junior chef (kinda).
I've been kind of lucky I guess, in that hardly any of my friends did A levels and even fewer are going to uni so not losing out too badly in terms of that (I have one friend moving to London for uni and another for work). It does mean that I often have to turn to TSR for academic discussion and to chat about stuff like gap years though lol
I am from Brighton btw!! saw you have an offer from there, but if I was you I would maybe try and go for Sussex instead (if you like the area) it has a much nicer campus
Reply 14
I think I am a bit of a combination however I have ruled out any university that doesn't have grass!

OMG I definitely get it so so much! 2 of my friends are going to the same university but I have already organised to go up and see them. They haven't headed off yet though. Its was saying goodbye to my best friend yesterday that hit me hard. You should try and organise to go up and stay with your friends, kip on their floor or something. (:

Thank you, has your friend done hers?

I applied to Loughborough too and absolutely loved it but unfortunately didn't get the grades to go there for engineering, might have a look for teaching though. I also applied to Exeter and loved it but that is only 40mins away so a tiny bit close. I still hold a place at Brighton however I will probably be withdrawing from there.

I have definitely decided on a campus uni and so far have really liked the look of Edge Hill but I still have a lot to look at! How come we can apply to as many as we like? I thought the 5 still applied although correct me if I am wrong.

Yes I am having to write a brand new personal statement which kind of sucks but I guess is also a good thing because it is about something I really like. I think that my sixth form are going to help me out too, just with checking it over etc.

xx

Yeah it's really hard :frown: and I'm staying with them overnight in 5 days so I'm excited! Then staying with another friend in 2 weeks so I have that to look forward too!!

You're welcome :smile: no I don't think so but I'm sure she's getting ready for it soon!

Ohhh that's good, what's Loughborough like? I am going to be visiting it soon. I was looking at Brighton too, I love it there anyway and apparently has good student life.

Oh I'm not sure now, a few friends in the year above said you can apply to as many as you want but I guess that might not be true if you still have to use UCAS.

Yeah I'm sure this one will be better anyway :biggrin:
Reply 15
I'm doing a gap year after graduating (I graduated in July) in order to save up for a masters.*

I have a part time job at the moment, I'm hoping to get some more lab experience.

I've sent off 5/6 applications and have already received one unconditional and an interview :redface:*
Reply 16
I wasn't happy with my AS grades really, my college where quite strict about not predicting higher than achieved AS grades, so I wanted to wait as I knew I could do better than predicted.
I haven't really thought too much about that, I've been focussing a lot more on the sort of course I want to study.
I'm applying to UCL which is obviously a city uni lol, Durham which is sort of both I guess? Bath which is in a city, but a bit of a boring one lol (though very pretty) it is close to Bristol though and Cambridge which is basically a city in itself, there's not a lot else going on in Cambridge apart from the uni really but I'm not really likely to get in there lol so not worrying about it too much.
This year I'm studying for an AS in further maths and I am considering resitting one chem exam cos I was really close to the A* boundary, but may not bother as it's unlikely to matter much even if I did manage to get it up. Studying is also referring to related reading to my course, which is something I am trying to find time for.
I do have a job, I work in a restaurant and have done for 18 months. I used to just wash up, but have been promoted to a junior chef (kinda).
I've been kind of lucky I guess, in that hardly any of my friends did A levels and even fewer are going to uni so not losing out too badly in terms of that (I have one friend moving to London for uni and another for work). It does mean that I often have to turn to TSR for academic discussion and to chat about stuff like gap years though lol
I am from Brighton btw!! saw you have an offer from there, but if I was you I would maybe try and go for Sussex instead (if you like the area) it has a much nicer campus

Hey!

What's your name? Thanks for joining! Was getting a bit lonely with just me and Bryony haha :biggrin:

Junior chef? That's so cool. What courses have you been thinking of taking? Picking the right course is the hardest thing, I guess you can't know if it's the right course till you get to uni and actually study it.

I heard Sussex is really nice too :smile:
Original post by lilGem
I'm doing a gap year after graduating (I graduated in July) in order to save up for a masters.*

I have a part time job at the moment, I'm hoping to get some more lab experience.

I've sent off 5/6 applications and have already received one unconditional and an interview :redface:*

where have you applied?
what's your masters topic gonna be?
what sort of lab work are you gonna do?
what work are you doing?
Original post by Stecher
Hey!

What's your name? Thanks for joining! Was getting a bit lonely with just me and Bryony haha :biggrin:

Junior chef? That's so cool. What courses have you been thinking of taking? Picking the right course is the hardest thing, I guess you can't know if it's the right course till you get to uni and actually study it.

I heard Sussex is really nice too :smile:

my name is Kieran, I'm going to be doing natural sciences, which is basically a flexible, broader science degree. I'll be focussing on chemistry and the life sciences. I am pretty sure I have the right course, I certainly hope so - it's fairly similar to what I've been studying at college but in more depth and I liked all my A levels.
Sussex is great, it's got a nice little campus outside of Brighton in the downs. People can live there and it has a bus stop and train station, but it's spacious and not too urban (there are trees n ****). Then when you want to mix it up, town is a 10 minute train ride away and there are busses running til really late back to the campus from town. I would deffo apply there, if I wasn't from Brighton
Reply 19
where have you applied?
what's your masters topic gonna be?
what sort of lab work are you gonna do?
what work are you doing?

I have applied to Leicester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Nottingham and Cardiff but I'm also applying to Birmingham when applications open.

My masters area is Cancer therapeutics and translational oncology (I've applied for a mixture of MRes and MSc)

I'm hoping to return to the lab where I did my second year internship on characterising mechanisms of resistance in chemotherapy.

I'm currently working in WH Smiths*

Quick Reply

Latest