The Student Room Group

When you enter a relationship, do you get tested for sti's or not?

When you entered a relationship with your bf/gf did you both get tested for sti's? Did you get tested with previous relationships? If you didn't why was this?

Was just wondered what people tend to do with regards to sexual health and how many people tend not to get tested etc.
Reply 1
No

But would practice safe sex at first, but yes is a good idea get tested as you enter a relationship

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
When you entered a relationship with your bf/gf did you both get tested for sti's? Did you get tested with previous relationships? If you didn't why was this?

Was just wondered what people tend to do with regards to sexual health and how many people tend not to get tested etc.

No for me. I have had one physical relationship and we were both virgins befor that so not really any need to.
I would generally say it's not needed unless you or your partner are at risk (engage in unprotected sex with various people, etc). Can't hurt to get yourself checked occasionally though. If you're at uni or college there's normally a drive at some point for people to get tested. Do it then- you get free stuff. :P
Reply 3
If we're going to stop using condoms, then yes. I've always been safe and never suspected I had an STI, but it's proof for your partner.
Reply 4
I always use protection (including condoms) so don't see the point in it. If I was planning to do it without then I would insist on both of us getting checked. Also getting checked out once in a while is a good idea. Although if you haven't been having anything sexual for a while then there's no need
It depends on expectations. IME, starting a 'relationship' doesn't necessarily have a clear dividing line between 'in' and 'not in'. There will be a series of conversations about sex, including safer sex, in that time. Testing may or may not be part of that, depending on what's happening with who.
Reply 6
No, me and my boyfriend didn't get tested as we were both best friends beforehand so we knew each other were virgins but if I ever did get into another relationship, I would expect us both to get tested to give each other peace of mind and start with a clean slate.
Nope
Reply 8
So my bf is right then, most people just seem to trust each other. He has had a lot of partners though with being a lot older and mentioned not liking wearing condoms. I suppose sti tests dont really outrule things like herpes and hpv anyway.
What other people do doesn't matter.

If you're not happy being sexual with someone who 'doesn't like using condoms' then don't do it. If you want him to test before you do so, or if you do not trust him to be monogamous, stick to your boundaries.

Yep, in the UK, tests are unlikely to include HPV - 'a lot of partners' means he quite probably has it, so have you had the vaccine? - and HSV is diagnosed when cold sores appear.
Original post by unprinted
What other people do doesn't matter.

If you're not happy being sexual with someone who 'doesn't like using condoms' then don't do it. If you want him to test before you do so, or if you do not trust him to be monogamous, stick to your boundaries.

Yep, in the UK, tests are unlikely to include HPV - 'a lot of partners' means he quite probably has it, so have you had the vaccine? - and HSV is diagnosed when cold sores appear.

Ive had the vaccine yes had to pay for it myself. I dont tend to respond to them though. A occupational health nurse did a blood test for work and said i hadnt responded to the mmr vaccine, ive no scar from the tb vaccine either lol. Yes he gets cold sores apparantly i have a 'hang up' about them because i suggested not kissing when he had one. He says that as long as its scabbed over its fine, I prefere waiting until its gone completely. I do worry a lot about health/disease though, im the same with colds i will do what i can to avoid them. Itsdifficult to know how to balance being as safe as possible with living a normal relaxed life.
You've posted about this relationship before, haven't you?
Original post by unprinted
You've posted about this relationship before, haven't you?

Ya Ive probably posted about it several times.
It did seem rather familiar and I see he's still trying to privilege his penis over your legitimate concerns.

If he hasn't changed in the months you've been asking about this, he's unlikely ever to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest