The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Transport services in Durham? Living off campus...

Hi

I'm going to be at Durham in a few weeks time for my postgrad and will be living off campus on private student accommodation. Its on Ainsley Street Durham DH1 - this seems quite far to campus and depending on where your lectures are, could be 40-50 mins walk to your lecture. I lived on campus at my previous university - yet still felt I had a long ways to walk some days....

I read somewhere that buses are free in Durham for students is this true, if not how much are they? And are there any bus stops near where I live? Also I'm a night owl most of the times - especially when I have little to no lectures during the weeks and in the morning resulting in my sleeping pattern never being consistent so would like to know if buses run at night too - especially towards or near the 24hr libraries.
There's tons of roadworks in the city at the moment. It's a nightmare to drive into.

How about a bike? It's only a 10 minute cycle.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
You are right in student land and will find loads of people walking. You are not far from North Road and the bus station. Honestly Durham is small. A taxi driver told me a lot of business comes from students.
Original post by bobking
Hi

I'm going to be at Durham in a few weeks time for my postgrad and will be living off campus on private student accommodation. Its on Ainsley Street Durham DH1 - this seems quite far to campus and depending on where your lectures are, could be 40-50 mins walk to your lecture. I lived on campus at my previous university - yet still felt I had a long ways to walk some days....

I read somewhere that buses are free in Durham for students is this true, if not how much are they? And are there any bus stops near where I live? Also I'm a night owl most of the times - especially when I have little to no lectures during the weeks and in the morning resulting in my sleeping pattern never being consistent so would like to know if buses run at night too - especially towards or near the 24hr libraries.

What course will you be doing? If it's an arts course you'll most likely be at Elvet Riverside, which is probably a 15/20 minute walk from Ainsley Street. If it's science, the science site (where the main Bill Bryson Library is situated) would take about 30 minutes to get to. So that's doable if you don't mind walking. Plus, in Durham you can usually find short-cuts to take which are nice (through the forest, by the river etc. - although if it's dark I'd recommend sticking to the main roads).

In terms of public buses, I've just checked the university website (https://www.dur.ac.uk/greenspace/travel/public/bus/) and it apparently costs £1 to get around Durham, provided that you show your student ID card. The ticket is for unlimited travel throughout the day. The University also runs a "night bus" service, so if you were staying at the library late at night, you could use that. I've never used it because I've always lived close to the library, but if you live further away it would be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest