The Student Room Group

1st week of eng lit and I'm struggling

I started college this week and I've had about 4 english literature lessons, but I'm really struggling. We're studying the Duchess of Malfi and had a huge contextual research task to do, which I found fine. However, today in class we started analysing the text. We've only looked at the first page of act 1 scene 1 and I don't understand it at all. I'm really struggling to get to grips with the text and I have no idea what is happening, and I'm terrified that it'll get worse since this is only the first page.

Would someone be able to explain everything going on in the first page (up to the end of Antonio's first speech) and I also really need advice on how to cope with a text when you have absolutely no clue what is happening.
Have you tried sites like sparknotes and litchart? They have detailed summaries and analysis of almost every academic text out there.

Don't worry the first few lessons are always the hardest, eventually you'll ease into it and it'll become much more doable.
Original post by DaisyTwilight
I started college this week and I've had about 4 english literature lessons, but I'm really struggling. We're studying the Duchess of Malfi and had a huge contextual research task to do, which I found fine. However, today in class we started analysing the text. We've only looked at the first page of act 1 scene 1 and I don't understand it at all. I'm really struggling to get to grips with the text and I have no idea what is happening, and I'm terrified that it'll get worse since this is only the first page.

Would someone be able to explain everything going on in the first page (up to the end of Antonio's first speech) and I also really need advice on how to cope with a text when you have absolutely no clue what is happening.

It's very, very normal to not understand a text AT ALL the first time you're looking at it. It takes a while to get into it for some people. It always took me a bit of time and, though I say so myself, I was something of an English Lit. prodigy (full marks at GCSE in both englishes, lost one mark at AS). Don't worry about it!:smile: Just take a read through some of the info on Cliffsnotes or Sparknotes or whatever so you know roughly what's going on. You'll get into it, I promise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same thing happened to me, I dropped it this year after getting B in AS. There are many revision guides online, in TSR and York notes helps but the English work load is ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest