The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Original post by threeportdrift
The undergrad grades are usually key in the UK because that's the only qualification likely to be offered. However, as I believe law is a postgrad qualification in the US (?) they are likely to be more interested in that study.

Public Policy is quite competitive at both Unis, so moderate grades in your relevant and most recent education will play against you.

I can't speak in detail for Oxford, but Cam tend to take professional experience quite seriously, and usually have some experience of US military applicants (can't speak for Public Policy specifically, but in POLIS they certainly have).

I think it will be up to you to leverage the PP relevance of your professional experience. I don't know what networks you have open to you, but I'm pretty sure there will be JAG alumni on the MPhil/MSt in International Relations at Cambridge. if you can track one of them down, maybe you can get some advice?

Thank you for your response, I'm a bit surprised to hear that my law school grades would be more important for my application than my bachelor's degree grades because the Cambridge website states that the minimum program requirement is a bachelor's degree with a 3.75/4.0 GPA. If my law school grades are what my application would be based on, I would have no chance so that's the only reason I'm asking.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by SadLawyer15
Thank you for your response, I'm a bit surprised to hear that my law school grades would be more important for my application than my bachelor's degree grades because the Cambridge website states that the minimum program requirement is a bachelor's degree with a 3.75/4.0 GPA. If my law school grades are what my application would be based on, I would have no chance so that's the only reason I'm asking.

Well it depends what your undergrad subjects were a little. If your main leverage for the course is the connection between law and public policy, then they are going to be more interested in your more relevant and recent law education. This can to some extent be 'improved' if you can demonstrate the relevance of your professional experience.

If your undergrad grades, not matter how good, are in a range of subjects that aren't particularly supportive of a Public Policy Masters, then they aren't going to be a prime factor.

Websites are written for the majority cases, and unfortunately you fall outside that. You also have a mixed profile of good and less good elements.

If your undergrad was all Public Policy related, and your JAG work can be spun to enhance that, the law qualification could be taken as a blip. But if your undergrad was in say English literature and History, then you have weak grades at PG level for law, leveraging the JAG work is all you've got to convince that you can make a successful transfer to Public Policy.

As always though, you'll never really know unless you apply :smile:
Does anyone know where I can find an example application of people who got in? So I have a general idea of what they desire.
Original post by JDWaugh17
Does anyone know where I can find an example application of people who got in? So I have a general idea of what they desire.

You aren't going to find that. Each course is individual in its requirements and each applicant is individual in what they offer. They are well used to receiving applications and offering places to students who have little support and who come from very different educational contexts in terms of conventions. However, a persuasive academic piece for any written submissions or research proposals is pretty universal. If you are at the top of your cohort, then you should be competitive.
Which prepares you better for a doctorate: MSt/MA/MSc etc. or MPhil?
Original post by musicstudent64

MPhil is a research masters, so I'll assume that would be the best route to take. It's usually packaged as part of a 4 year programme as well. So always look out for highly recognisable MPhil programmes in your subject area.

Original post by UAC
MPhil is a research masters, so I'll assume that would be the best route to take. It's usually packaged as part of a 4 year programme as well. So always look out for highly recognisable MPhil programmes in your subject area.

It's not the name of the degree that's important, it's the structure of the course. You need something that has a research training module and a substantial dissertation.

Degree naming conventions are highly variable, especially at Oxford and Cambridge (and some Scottish Unis) where MA is used for something else, MSt is used uniquely to the institution (only ever met this at Ox and Cam where they are two completely different degree structures).

So you need to understand what each uni is designing the course for, not what the degree name is.
Well, I have studied at that level before already and I continue to keep abreast via TSR as I'm looking to start a PhD programme in the near future. In my opinion, it wouldn't be much of a research master's, without at least one (or perhaps even two research modules) strictly focused on quantitative and/or qualitative research methods - MPhils or 1+3 PhD programmes get better in the second year, where these options are usually explored.

Agreed.

I would just add that, in my opinion, you should watch out for the weights given for grading in the marketing material of the course or the brochure - is the programme graded by exam or coursework or both and indeed is there a significant dissertation component (10,000 - 20,000 words). Many a master's programme in the subject I went into are impressive but can fall short in this crucial area - those Universities typically outside of the Oxbridge/Russel Group crop - are likely to present more succinct (and sometimes more coursework intensive) course structures, so always keep an eye out for details like that.
I've decided to apply to an MSt at Oxford for 2022 entry, and, well, it's daunting! I'm currently at a Scottish RG, and am also applying to Edinburgh and Glasgow. I know wherever I go I will be happy, so if I don't get in to Oxford it won't be the end of the world.

Saying that, the course is so, so well aligned to both my academic interests and my personal interests (by this I mean things I enjoy learning about but haven't had a chance to formally study or be assessed on). I've received firsts in my main subject (pre-honours I did two other subjects which were all either firsts or high 2:1). For my first honours year, which I've just finished (my 4 year Scottish MA has two honours years, equally weighted), I received straight firsts. Half of these were above 80%, and one was the second highest grade. I also received 100% for an essay which is a topic directly related to the prospective MSt. I'm also on a 'talent' scholarship (really feel silly every time I refer to this) due to my entrance grades, which is in total £4000.

My upcoming senior dissertation will be related to my proposed area of research for the MSt. I'm working on my statement of purpose now, but am yet to fully refine the specifics.

I also have personal, lived experience related to my proposal - what I'm wondering is, does anyone know to what extent I should include this in my statement?
It's not the name of the degree that's important, it's the structure of the course. You need something that has a research training module and a substantial dissertation.

Degree naming conventions are highly variable, especially at Oxford and Cambridge (and some Scottish Unis) where MA is used for something else, MSt is used uniquely to the institution (only ever met this at Ox and Cam where they are two completely different degree structures).

So you need to understand what each uni is designing the course for, not what the degree name is.

Thank you @amaya244 and @threeportdrift
The one thing that confuses me is that on Oxford's website, it says that the MSt in my subject area is an "excellent preparation for doctoral research". However, surely the MPhil would be more suited to people who want to go on to do doctoral studies, as for my subject the MSt and the 1st year of the MPhil are exactly the same course, but the MPhil has a second year for dissertation writing. With the MPhil having more research/writing experience as part of the course, wouldn't this prepare students more for DPhil work?
I understand that DPhil students are just as successful with an MSt or MPhil, but I guess it's about whatever suits you as a student?
Please correct me if I am wrong, thank you
Thank you @amaya244 and @threeportdrift
The one thing that confuses me is that on Oxford's website, it says that the MSt in my subject area is an "excellent preparation for doctoral research". However, surely the MPhil would be more suited to people who want to go on to do doctoral studies, as for my subject the MSt and the 1st year of the MPhil are exactly the same course, but the MPhil has a second year for dissertation writing. With the MPhil having more research/writing experience as part of the course, wouldn't this prepare students more for DPhil work?
I understand that DPhil students are just as successful with an MSt or MPhil, but I guess it's about whatever suits you as a student?
Please correct me if I am wrong, thank you

If Oxford says its 'excellent preparation' then it's excellent preparation, who are we to question that?
If Oxford says its 'excellent preparation' then it's excellent preparation, who are we to question that?

Hi there,

Many apologies. I don’t question the MSt’s capabilities in preparing prospective doctoral candidates. I myself am looking at both courses and both seem great. I wanted to ask about the second year MPhil and what makes students opt for this course rather than the MSt, as they both have an identical first year structure
Hello everyone, I have a case. I am an international student due to start an MSc in January 2022 and to end by December 2022. However I wish to begin another by September next year 2022 because the course runs only from September. How do I manage this. The second MSc is my dream course of study. it will be a case of my first masters running into the new masters for a lag of 3 months (September to December) please how do I manage this as an international student. Please all your inputs are welcome.
Hi! I did my LLB from a non Russel group uni, basically a not so well reputable uni due to finances being an issue but got a first class.
Then, I did the BPTC, secured pupillage, and now working as a lawyer in my home country. I'm not British.

I was wondering if I stand a chance at Oxbridge, and if not, any tips on how to boost my chances for a masters at oxbridge?

That being said, Finances are still an issue. I'm unable to afford the international tuition fee/living costs in UK. So, I would need funding/scholarships.

I'm still paying loans for my undergrad so money is tight. Alternatively, even distance learning masters, at ox-bridge, is a possibility, given that the costs would be greatly reduced since I wouldn't need to pay living costs.

Any tips are welcomed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Just posting in here in case it's of any use. I've looked at the links in the first post in this thread, and they are of mixed quality, so I think a lot of people will still have questions that need answering even after consulting those links.

I recently completed a master's degree in ancient history (Faculty of Classics) at Oxford. I also know people who are doing doctoral degrees in the faculty, and people who did master's degrees in other subjects, whom I can ask for advice. I didn't do my undergrad at Oxford, and plus I didn't come straight from my previous uni (I worked for several years), so I had to learn a lot about how the application process works.

I was privileged enough to win full scholarship funding from Oxford, and was also offered a place and funding by Cambridge. (This came as a pleasant surprise to me: you can still get funding for a master's degree in the humanities! Although it's harder than it used to be)

Therefore, and since this thread has been quiet recently, I wanted to offer my services to people who have questions about a) doing a postgrad degree in the Classics faculty b) doing other master's degrees at Oxford c) getting in to Oxford for postgrad study generally, and d) getting funding for a graduate humanities degree at Oxford and Cambridge. I'd especially welcome questions from people who are at the early stage of thinking about doing it and are not sure what to do (as I remember what that was like). You can reply or DM.
(edited 7 months ago)
In addition to Mu-tron's reply, I wanted to add that in the 2020/21 application round I managed to get a fully-funded Clarendon Scholarship for my current DPhil at Oxford in Clinical Neurosciences (also got a fully-funded DTP PhD offer at Cambridge) after applying three years prior and receiving 10 rejections! This community was really helpful to me back then so now I'm sharing my insights on a thread you might find useful. 😊 Please feel free to check it out, comment, and share your experiences and I'll do my best to respond to any questions there too!

I got fully-funded PhD offers to both Oxford & Cambridge - here's my advice!
Good move. Three years ahead. How's it going?
Original post by clairebergjo
In addition to Mu-tron's reply, I wanted to add that in the 2020/21 application round I managed to get a fully-funded Clarendon Scholarship for my current DPhil at Oxford in Clinical Neurosciences (also got a fully-funded DTP PhD offer at Cambridge) after applying three years prior and receiving 10 rejections! This community was really helpful to me back then so now I'm sharing my insights on a thread you might find useful. 😊 Please feel free to check it out, comment, and share your experiences and I'll do my best to respond to any questions there too!

I got fully-funded PhD offers to both Oxford & Cambridge - here's my advice!
Can someone explain how the college system works for postgrads? How do they place you at a college if you don’t get your preferred choice? What are my chances of getting into a hall…
Does anyone know how common it is for international students to stay in Oxbridge accommodations during breaks?
Original post by 123abroadnow
Does anyone know how common it is for international students to stay in Oxbridge accommodations during breaks?

Postgrad accommodation tends to be rented to you for the full year so most students will stay in the breaks, international or not. It’s very different from the undergraduates who have to leave between terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending