The Student Room Group

Decision Time!!

hi, am in the middle of a tough decision. I start next year in lower sixth but i can't decide which school i should go to.

School A-will be studying Bs,ICT,Geography and maths + i know all the poeple and teacher and have a strong chance of head boy in upper sixth

School B-will be studying Economics,ICT,Maths and geogrpahy + it is a very well repsected school but i will no no-one and the teaching methods are very differnent

Was wondering what you thought as i have to order my uniform inside the next week.
Reply 1
What do you want to do at uni? If you want to do something economics/finance related, I think you'd stand a better chance with Economics rather than Business Studies.

Being Head Boy is all good and well, but it won't be a decisive factor in your application really - it's more about your grades and your potential.
gcse guy
hi, am in the middle of a tough decision. I start next year in lower sixth but i can't decide which school i should go to.

School A-will be studying Bs,ICT,Geography and maths + i know all the poeple and teacher and have a strong chance of head boy in upper sixth

School B-will be studying Economics,ICT,Maths and geogrpahy + it is a very well repsected school but i will no no-one and the teaching methods are very differnent

Was wondering what you thought as i have to order my uniform inside the next week.

I went to my old schools 6th form so already knew everyone and the teachers. The benefit of this is that you're with people you already know and like which is always pretty cool, and that you don't have to worry about getting to know new people. I also got to know people who I previously had misconceptions about or who I had not really spoken to before, so there's a kind of getting to know people element as well. However, having known everyone for so long, you can get exceptionally sick of them particularly if they're on more than just one of your courses.

As for the courses, practically the same really. Bs = Business Studies yeah? Having done both, I found Economics to be a lot more interesting but also a lot more challenging at the same time, which can be good or bad depending on how well you cope with it. I did Applied Business which takes theory and uses real life examples, and basically you apply the theory to it, advise on changes and errors etc. The business course was mostly coursework, whilst Economics was 100% exam. You might find people may criticise Business for being disrespected by universities. Unless you're hoping to go to the top top universities it shouldn't make much difference to your application.

Put your happiness above what's good academically. The 'better' place might not suit you, might not fit your interests strengths and might lead to you being unhappy. In which case, you're likely to be better off at the other place where you can achieve more through positivity and a willingness to work.
Excalibur
What do you want to do at uni? If you want to do something economics/finance related, I think you'd stand a better chance with Economics rather than Business Studies.

i'm thinking of some sort of business course maybe economics, the unviversity i will be going to says that economics is not required(have spoke to the course director) for an economics degree so i am leaning towards school A,
Reply 4
If you want to do Economics at a top university having both Business Studies and ICT may cause some problems as universities such as Cambridge and LSE have a blacklist and they advise you to only take 1 of the subjects combined with 2/3 non blacklisted ones and both Business Studies and ICT are on the blacklist.
right, but i am not really aiming for LSC as the require like 9A* at gcse, i am happy to go to my local university since they have a brilliant business and economics section, (as an economics degree is the same no matter what university you get it from)
Reply 6
If you’re aiming to go to your local university to study Economics, and they don’t have a problem with the combination you would have at School A, then you may as well go there if you’re really keen on staying with your friends and the teachers you know.

Also, you’re wrong in saying an Economics degree is the same everywhere. Like other subjects, the content and rigour depends greatly on the institution.
Don't take ICT. Believe me.
Why, whats wrong with ICT?
Reply 9
There is a lot of coursework.
ICT has an massive workload for a subject that universities look down on.
<(+_+)>
ICT has an massive workload for a subject that universities look down on.

kirstinx
There is a lot of coursework.

Exactly not worth it imo that's why i didn't do it, but a very close friend of mine did and the coursework is UNBELIEVABLE!! - trust me (but if you can put in the work for it then its all good)

I did GCSE ICT but thats because it was worth it as it counted as 2 GCSE's :biggrin:
Reply 12
From what you've said, I would pick school A for definite.:smile:

Latest