The Student Room Group

The Mixed Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Why did Kendall stand with Rivera?
Because he thinks that because he cuts ridiculous weight so he can fight smaller guys, he actually stands a chance of beating them.

Picks for UFC 81.

Sylvia, although I will be pulling for Nog very hard.
Mir, and I will be pulling for him.
Marquadt
Belcher
Griffin
I think Nog will win, but I think your other picks are solid.
Lesnar will run through Mir, just you watch
JordanLUFC
Lesnar will run through Mir, just you watch

You don't think a BJJ black belt and one of the best sub guys at HW will get a guy on his second pro MMA match?

I think you're crazy... but ok :p:
ForeverIsMyName
You don't think a BJJ black belt and one of the best sub guys at HW will get a guy on his second pro MMA match?

I think you're crazy... but ok :p:

Nope. I think Lesnar will be too powerful for Mir to submit, Mir had his day, he's a gatekeeper, and a poor one at that.
Lesnar is the favourite with the bookies :redface:

Lesnar might well panic if he ends up losing the standup, which has a very good chance of happening, which will probably get him subbed. Everyone talks about Lesnar's strength and power but Mir is not exactly puny at 240#. I can't imagine he will be training any less than 100% for a fight with this sort of publicity, and is this really the look of a weak man?

When has Mir ever been a good stand-up fighter?
Against Sims. When has Brock?
Hahahahahahaha... true enough.

I expect Brock to go for a takedown instantly, and get it. Mir will go for an armbar/triangle instantly, and get it. No way is Mir going to get pounded out by Lesnar, and Lesnar aint gonna survive 15 minutes in Mir's guard.

Sig bet, Jordan?
Oh dear, against Sims? Oh well, if that's what you're basing it on, that's a shame, because that fight his stand up was horrible, and Wes Sims isn't a good fighter. Mir has had 1 win against a top opponent his entire career. And I never claimed Brock was good on his feet

The referee will stop Mir being pounded into oblivion, Either 1st/2nd round TKO for Brock
JordanLUFC
Oh dear, against Sims? Oh well, if that's what you're basing it on, that's a shame, because that fight his stand up was horrible, and Wes Sims isn't a good fighter. Mir has had 1 win against a top opponent his entire career. And I never claimed Brock was good on his feet

The referee will stop Mir being pounded into oblivion, Either 1st/2nd round TKO for Brock

I never claimed Mir was good on his feet, just that he has a good chance of being better than Lesnar.
They both looked good at the weight ins. Joe Rogan... not so much.
Do you ever find that you enjoy training yet dislike actually watching the fights?
Oh well.... I guess the ref did stop Mir from getting a beating... :confused:

Nice win for Mir, really wanted Lesnar to win, but alas, nice kneebar.
Good card. Tim really solidified himself as a top HW after turning Nogs face into a hamburger for 10 minutes, even if Nog is clearly a better fighter.
Reply 216
What can I say? That was a good card, I stayed up 'til 6am streaming it and it was well worth it. Lesnar was good, however, it is clear he is inexperienced and has holes in his game as he made careless mistakes leaving his limbs free. Perhaps he could've won with a different game plan (i.e. keeping the fight standing), he clearly had the strength and SPEED advantage. Mir did an excellent job, taking advantage of Brock's lack of sub. defence experience - keep slapping on the submission attempts, sooner or later he'll get caught, and indeed he did.

Sylvia fought well too, had good handspeed and utilised a range of punches. Maybe he could've committed himself more in the stand-up exchanges as it was clear he had the edge. Nog was patient, going along with Tim's gameplan for a while, but once Sylvia got caught in Nog's domain, it was all over. Nogueira could've put Tim away in the 1st round I reckon (not taking anything away from Tim's performance).

Griffin/Tibau - from what I've read, there seems to be some controversy with the judging. Honestly, I have to say I agree with the decision, I had Tyson winning every round too, he landed bombs in every round, clearly the aggressor. Sure Tibau scored a few takedowns but Griffin did an excellent job getting back onto his feet. I'm absolutely sick of the bias towards takedowns, if you don't do anything after the take down, then it doesn't count for ****. This time the judges saw through that, and I'm glad.

Heath/Boetsch - wow, this was absolutely incredible, Heath was thoroughly dominated. What's even more impressive is that Boetsch has a wrestling base and Heath is supposed to be the striker! Boetsch demonstrated a very good arsenal of strikes - low kicks, front kick (landed 4 times), high kick (blocked by Heath), knees, and of course some bombs courtesy of his hands. And did you see that throw at the end!? Ridiculous. I'm sick of seeing wild looping haymakers (carelessly executed) all the time, remember Lambert being caught at UFC80 due to being careless? It's nice to see some precise striking once in a while.
Reply 217
NOG vs TIM
BJJ ruls
Reply 218
Mir is the man!!!

I remember when he broke Sylvias arm and the fact that he didn't realise it after a while made it worse, ouch!
Holy Goddamn the upcoming cards look incredible. Really ****ing good.

Event name: UFC 84
Date: May 24, 2008
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: TBD

Rumored Bouts

Sean Sherk vs. BJ Penn
Lightweight Championship Bout
Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida
Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva
Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry
Goran Reljic vs. Wilson Gouveia
Rumoured - Keither Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva.

Quick Reply

Latest