The Student Room Group

Jardine personal statement

Hi everyone, I am applying for 2017 undergraduate course entry. Has anyone of you applied for the Jardine foundation scholarship before? I would like to know if there's a word limit for the personal statement required. I couldn't find relevant information about it online :frown: thank you very much in advance for any replies!!

Scroll to see replies

What are the uni requirements? If they're unclear email and ask.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
What are the uni requirements? If they're unclear email and ask.

Hi alleycat393 thx for your reply! It's a scholarship for oxbridge applicants. I've contacted the foundation last fri but have yet to get a reply from them..so just hope to know if anyone here knows about it :biggrin: thx again
Original post by nyxing
Hi everyone, I am applying for 2017 undergraduate course entry. Has anyone of you applied for the Jardine foundation scholarship before? I would like to know if there's a word limit for the personal statement required. I couldn't find relevant information about it online :frown: thank you very much in advance for any replies!!

Hi I'm applying for Jardine Scholarship too! I was only informed about it by my college this week, so I'm still preparing all my documents etc. From everything that I've read, I don't think there is a word limit, unless you've found out more info on it?
Reply 4
Original post by czhang1998
Hi I'm applying for Jardine Scholarship too! I was only informed about it by my college this week, so I'm still preparing all my documents etc. From everything that I've read, I don't think there is a word limit, unless you've found out more info on it?

Hi czhang1998 nice to meet you! I've checked, there is NO word limit :smile: which country are you from? Just curious :biggrin: I'm from Malaysia
Original post by nyxing
Hi czhang1998 nice to meet you! I've checked, there is NO word limit :smile: which country are you from? Just curious :biggrin: I'm from Malaysia

Awesome thank you!! I'm from mainland China but I'm studying in the UK rn :biggrin:
Reply 6
Awesome thank you!! I'm from mainland China but I'm studying in the UK rn :biggrin:

No problem! Good luck for your application! :smile:
Original post by nyxing
No problem! Good luck for your application! :smile:

You too!! Which college are you applying to by the way? And which course?
Reply 8
You too!! Which college are you applying to by the way? And which course?

Peterhouse. Natural sciences course :smile: how about you?
Original post by nyxing
Peterhouse. Natural sciences course :smile: how about you?

Nice! I'm applying to Trinity for architecture :h:
Reply 10
Nice! I'm applying to Trinity for architecture :h:

Wow great! Good luck to both of us !! :biggrin:
Original post by nyxing
Wow great! Good luck to both of us !! :biggrin:

Yes fingers crossed for both of us :crossedf:
Hi there! I've applied for the Jardine foundation scholarship as well, I handed in all my documents two weeks ago. My personal statement was just slightly over 1 and a half sides (Arial, 12, normal margins) but that's already pretty long - I reckon it should be less, I didn't have time to really edit it down since I'm currently prepping for my IB exams. My counselor told me it should be about the length of a PS, or slightly less. I'm applying for Psychology at Magdalene Cambridge!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kokopelli
Hi there! I've applied for the Jardine foundation scholarship as well, I handed in all my documents two weeks ago. My personal statement was just slightly over 1 and a half sides (Arial, 12, normal margins) but that's already pretty long - I reckon it should be less, I didn't have time to really edit it down since I'm currently prepping for my IB exams. My counselor told me it should be about the length of a PS, or slightly less. I'm applying for Psychology at Magdalene Cambridge!

Yes another fellow applicant!! Which country are you from btw?
Yes another fellow applicant!! Which country are you from btw?

Sunny Singapore :smile:
Sunny Singapore :smile:

Hahah very nice!! Best of luck with your application!
Reply 16
Good luck to all of us! :smile:
btw i just have a quick question on the personal statement: did you guys start off with your subject choice/career goal, or did you start with your extra-curriculum activities? I am struggling a little here...:frown: Thanks for you help in advance!!
btw i just have a quick question on the personal statement: did you guys start off with your subject choice/career goal, or did you start with your extra-curriculum activities? I am struggling a little here...:frown: Thanks for you help in advance!!

This isn't a rule, but I think it would be wise to avoid repeating anything that you've already mentioned in your PS. So if you've already gone on a fair bit about your passion/goals for your subject, you shouldn't waste words trying to bring the point across again. I started off with a small paragraph about my personal philosophy, before going into detail about my extracurriculars, and tying it all back to my passion for psychology.

By the way, I don't mean to scare you, but hasn't the deadline for Jardine already passed (20th October)? Is the deadline for candidates from your country different?

Good luck! I had to rush my essay as well haha (wrote it in 2 days!! gah)
This isn't a rule, but I think it would be wise to avoid repeating anything that you've already mentioned in your PS. So if you've already gone on a fair bit about your passion/goals for your subject, you shouldn't waste words trying to bring the point across again. I started off with a small paragraph about my personal philosophy, before going into detail about my extracurriculars, and tying it all back to my passion for psychology.

By the way, I don't mean to scare you, but hasn't the deadline for Jardine already passed (20th October)? Is the deadline for candidates from your country different?

Good luck! I had to rush my essay as well haha (wrote it in 2 days!! gah)

Thanx so much for the advice!!!! And yes I was informed by Trinity's admission tutor that the deadline for Cambridge applicants are extended to 31st Oct, so I've still got a few days😅

Quick Reply

Latest