The Student Room Group

Probably an extremely stupid question but one I'd just like to clarify.

So I'm taking FSMQ Add Maths this year, and I was wondering whether we'd have to state our answer in a certain form (or whether in can be in any form and the markers know what they're doing and understand that some answers are different but mean the same thing).

For example, let's say the answer book says the answer is 'a-b=5' and I wrote it as 'a=5+b'. They mean the same, but would the examiner look at it and say 'Oh, the answer book says this different thing, so this must be wrong' or would they know that they're just different ways of expressing it?

Again, this is probably a stupid question but I'd just like to make sure.
Original post by Leon_Baratheon
So I'm taking FSMQ Add Maths this year, and I was wondering whether we'd have to state our answer in a certain form (or whether in can be in any form and the markers know what they're doing and understand that some answers are different but mean the same thing).

For example, let's say the answer book says the answer is 'a-b=5' and I wrote it as 'a=5+b'. They mean the same, but would the examiner look at it and say 'Oh, the answer book says this different thing, so this must be wrong' or would they know that they're just different ways of expressing it?

Again, this is probably a stupid question but I'd just like to make sure.

Markers will usually have some background knowledge in the field they're marking, and so they will be able to interpret your answer, if it's in a different form, to see if it matches.
Original post by AlexFam
Markers will usually have some background knowledge in the field they're marking, and so they will be able to interpret your answer, if it's in a different form, to see if it matches.

That's good to know. Thanks a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest