The Student Room Group

Mentioning university names in personal statement

Everyone I have spoken to has said to avoid putting university names in my personal statement, but would it be okay to put in the name of the place I went to summer school in?
Original post by mattiebunny
Everyone I have spoken to has said to avoid putting university names in my personal statement, but would it be okay to put in the name of the place I went to summer school in?

There is no problem with this.

What they mean is don't say why you are fascinated with the course at X or have always wanted to study at Y when you are applying to five universities four or which are not the university you have name-checked.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius

What they mean is don't say why you are fascinated with the course at X or have always wanted to study at Y when you are applying to five universities four or which are not the university you have name-checked.

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius

What about if you only apply to one?

That's fine but make sure you get it right.

University staff WILL notice if you call "University of x" "x University" (or get the name wrong in a similar way). It's a 30 second job to visit a uni website to find out their preferred and legal name.
would it be okay to put in the name of the place I went to summer school in?

Of course it would but, bearing in mind PQ's sage advice to get the name right, the fact that university names are often very long and the need to save space in the PS, why mention the university's name at all?

Surely it is enough to say you attended a university summer school on street newspaper selling (as long as you then go on to say that it taught you the importance of standing in a prominent position for passers-by)?

Why do you need to waste space by stating "I attended the University of the Dartford Tunnel's summer school called 'Newspaper Selling and Social Justice in the Twenty-First Century' ...". Is pointing out that you attended that course in preference to going to the University of East Anglia's "Newspaper Selling and Keynesian Economics" going to significantly enhance your story?
Original post by Fenice
What about if you only apply to one?

What happens when that one rejects your application and you then have to apply to another?
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
What happens when that one rejects your application and you then have to apply to another?

That is a separate issue but some people will only use their one-shot loan of £9k a year to attend their first choice university; not as silly as you make it sound
Reply 8
Original post by Fenice
That is a separate issue but some people will only use their one-shot loan of £9k a year to attend their first choice university; not as silly as you make it sound

Wouldn't it's make more sense having to first choice university and 4 back up universities? Just in case, they don't get into their first choice. This will save them the hassle of reapplying, getting refernces again and payment.
Original post by Fenice

Some people then change their mind.
Reply 10
Original post by Ishax
Wouldn't it's make more sense having to first choice university and 4 back up universities? Just in case, they don't get into their first choice. This will save them the hassle of reapplying, getting refernces again and payment.

There isn't any point in applying to universities you have no intention of attending, and only applying to your first choice allows you to tailor your PS to that single course, which in itself advantages your application
Original post by Fenice
There isn't any point in applying to universities you have no intention of attending, and only applying to your first choice allows you to tailor your PS to that single course, which in itself advantages your application

I guess that's true, but it's good to also keep options open also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending