The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neverest
Thanks!! every view helps :smile: what do you mean exactly by career-focused culture? I've been seeing it around but can't imagine entirely what is meant.

Well there's a general view that people at LSE tend to be more competitive in terms of securing internships/job offers while at uni, while my friends at UCL have done more typical uni things like clubs and societies. My friend who's in UCL Law right now says that people there tend to be more chill, and less uptight compared to their LSE counterparts about attending things like career events (though there are still a lot of those offered in UCL). Of course this is a gross over-generalisation as there is still a good mix of both types in both unis! But that's the sort of 'vibe', to put it simply. Honestly not that important when you look at the big picture, but it's somewhat interesting to consider.

I would also recommend looking at the course structure as they are slightly different across both unis. And keep in mind that you have to do LSE100 if you pick LSE, which might be a bonus or a negative depending on the sort of person you are haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
What does everyone think about/know about KCL?
In terms of reputation, graduate prospects with London firms, social life, general vibe?
Original post by Aleena_S21
What does everyone think about/know about KCL?
In terms of reputation, graduate prospects with London firms, social life, general vibe?

I've got an offer from kings
Repwise its good, very good. 21st in the world and known by all transnational firms
KCL will get your foot in the door with london firms, but your grades will be what secures you TCs. But you will get oppertunities to network at KCL with the big firms etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm, while we're (kinda) on the subject of universities and their general rep, what do you guys think of Durham? ☺️
Would you consider inferior or equal to the London universities and is it as posh as people say? 🤔
What is Durhams Rep for law? I don't know which to pick between KCL and Durham so trying to find out more about it
Reply 1985
Original post by ob-hockey
What is Durhams Rep for law? I don't know which to pick between KCL and Durham so trying to find out more about it

I think Durham's just as (if not more) prestigious as/than KCL for law. However, KCL may be more internationally known than Durham. London universities (in my opinion) are slightly overrated, for obvious reasons. I only applied to one university in London (UCL) as I don't think the city life is for me yet. In the case of receiving an offer from UCL, I'd still probably firm Durham! :smile:
Reply 1986
Is anyone still waiting to hear from The University of Leeds?!

I've received all my 4 other offers from York, Edinburgh, UCL and Manchester but still waiting for Leeds?!!
Applied on 16th December and would consider putting Leeds as by insurance as I really liked the uni when I visited.
Original post by EB1st
Is anyone still waiting to hear from The University of Leeds?!

I've received all my 4 other offers from York, Edinburgh, UCL and Manchester but still waiting for Leeds?!!
Applied on 16th December and would consider putting Leeds as by insurance as I really liked the uni when I visited.

What are your predicted grades? I'd love to get an offer from Edinburgh :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1988
Original post by nataliejuliette
What are your predicted grades? I'd love to get an offer from Edinburgh :biggrin:

Hey :smile:

I'm a mature student so currently completing an Access Course and predicted 45 distinctions.
I did my A Levels many years ago and got ABC (was not interested in being in education at the time cearly), and I have terrible GCSE's haha I think I got 2 A's, 1B and 3C's... but I've done a lot since leaving education so think my overall appplication must be quite good.

Sorry I'm probably of little help to you.
Ok, so just got rejected by LSE due to my personal statement (had been waiting since October!). Will be firming King's now. I need some advice though regarding my insurance. Do you guys think I should insure Bristol or Warwick?
Original post by gadgetmaniah
Ok, so just got rejected by LSE due to my personal statement (had been waiting since October!). Will be firming King's now. I need some advice though regarding my insurance. Do you guys think I should insure Bristol or Warwick?

What's there offers? Personally I think Warwick has a better rep but its down to location as well
Original post by qwerty505
What's there offers? Personally I think Warwick has a better rep but its down to location as well

Warwick is AAA and Bristol is AAA/A*AB. Reputation wise as far as I've heard they're both pretty close but location wise I've heard Coventry is a pretty dull place in comparison to Bristol.
Original post by gadgetmaniah
Warwick is AAA and Bristol is AAA/A*AB. Reputation wise as far as I've heard they're both pretty close but location wise I've heard Coventry is a pretty dull place in comparison to Bristol.

If you 100% would be happy with living and going to Bristol if you missed Kings then go for it :smile:
Is anyone still waiting for Bristol/know when they may answer? I applied on the 18th of October and still haven't heard anything?
Original post by lot1313
Is anyone still waiting for Bristol/know when they may answer? I applied on the 18th of October and still haven't heard anything?

I applied around the same time as you and was rejected about a week ago. I reckon the fact that you haven't heard yet is a good thing:smile: good luck !x
Original post by lot1313

Same. I applied on the 11th of October and haven't heard anything either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1996
Finally heard back from King's about English Law with French Law and got an offer! Wait finally over :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lawperson123
Same. I applied on the 11th of October and haven't heard anything either.

I was rejected a week ago for Law. Think the wait will be a good thing for you:smile: good luck!x
I got an offer to study straight law at Warwick today! I've been waiting ages so I'm really glad- they gave me a ABB offer:biggrin:
Original post by Aleena_S21
My top three are KCL, Bristol and Nottingham (received offers from all)
Not sure what to firm and insure - ik Bristol has the lowest grade boundaries of the three but I think I may have liked it the most.
But in terms of overall course, reputation, graduate prospects - which do you all think I should go for?

They're relatively the same in terms of course reputation, graduate prospects etc. Nottingham has done better in the most recent years for employment awards etc, but public perception won't change just because of a single year.

I think you should place greater emphasis on the location, culture, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending