The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Exams?

Hi,

I really want to do medicine at Oxford, and I'm hoping my grades will be good so I can apply, but I was wondering what the exams are like? At the end of the 6 year course (and in between obviously), you have to take exams. What sort of format are these in? Are they long answer e.g. essays, short answer, multiple choice etc. Also, what is the timing? I've tried to find information about this on other websites as well but I can't find it anywhere.. Are the exams strictly timed and how long are you looking at for what sort of exam? Are they the sort of rush to write fast enough, or not?

Thanks!
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Hi,

I really want to do medicine at Oxford, and I'm hoping my grades will be good so I can apply, but I was wondering what the exams are like? At the end of the 6 year course (and in between obviously), you have to take exams. What sort of format are these in? Are they long answer e.g. essays, short answer, multiple choice etc. Also, what is the timing? I've tried to find information about this on other websites as well but I can't find it anywhere.. Are the exams strictly timed and how long are you looking at for what sort of exam? Are they the sort of rush to write fast enough, or not?

Thanks!

Previously you mean? You do more than 35 exams in the 6 years so giving one answer is hard. In the first three years there are essays and multiple choice. In the next 3 there's a combination of short answer and multiple choice (in various formats) plus practical (OSCE) exams. They're between 1 hour and 3 hours generally, strictly timed of course yes, and yes for some you need to write fast. The multiple choice ones generally aren't time pressured as much no but you still need to work fast. As to what they are looking for... obviously depends on the topic. Good base knowledge and an understanding of the topic. It's probably a bit less semantics than other med schools but I've no idea what the actual differences are.

Now that there will be a national finals exam by the time you graduate things might be changing. What's described above will probably mostly continue but I don't know what changes will come about.
Original post by nexttime
Previously you mean? You do more than 35 exams in the 6 years so giving one answer is hard. In the first three years there are essays and multiple choice. In the next 3 there's a combination of short answer and multiple choice (in various formats) plus practical (OSCE) exams. They're between 1 hour and 3 hours generally, strictly timed of course yes, and yes for some you need to write fast. The multiple choice ones generally aren't time pressured as much no but you still need to work fast. As to what they are looking for... obviously depends on the topic. Good base knowledge and an understanding of the topic. It's probably a bit less semantics than other med schools but I've no idea what the actual differences are.

Now that there will be a national finals exam by the time you graduate things might be changing. What's described above will probably mostly continue but I don't know what changes will come about.

Okay thanks so much! I realised my question was very vague considering how much variety there is, but you have me a rough idea of how it works. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending