The Student Room Group

How much do you expect to be paid as a Graduate?

So a lot of people will be applying for graduate schemes/jobs at this time of the year, how much do you expect to be paid in your area of work?

Those who already have jobs feel free to comment!
Original post by Desi_Scotsman
So a lot of people will be applying for graduate schemes/jobs at this time of the year, how much do you expect to be paid in your area of work?

Depends on the job one gets.

I don't really expect anything - just whatever I'm able to land. Atm, the focus is on investment banking or top technology firms. But I may well end up in a more humble destination post-university so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Depends on the job one gets.

I don't really expect anything - just whatever I'm able to land. Atm, the focus is on investment banking or top technology firms. But I may well end up in a more humble destination post-university so who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for your case- "investment banking or top technology firm". You would be expecting to earn at least 30k/year?
Reply 3
£30000 or above would be good
So for your case- "investment banking or top technology firm". You would be expecting to earn at least 30k/year?

I-banking is £50k base salary + either a pro rata bonus of £12-16k or a full bonus of £20-45k + signing bonus of £4-6k.

Top tech is ~£40-60k base (tho, Palantir and a few algo trading firms are around £80-90k or so) + £10-25k in stock grants a year + 10% bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

To be honest in my own opinion if you have no experience whatsoever, you should really expect a a low wage (at least £13,000).
If you see job adverts, most salaries nowadays are negotiable and is not affected by your degree classification. In other words, you need to prove you are worth that salary.

I've been in 3 jobs since graduating from university and have seen my pay packet increase gradually because I have proven to myself and employers that I can work hard and can learn in a quick pace.

NOTE: Please don't quote and attack me as I have my own opinions and very much entitled to them! :smile:
Original post by Boreism
To be honest in my own opinion if you have no experience whatsoever, you should really expect a a low wage (at least £13,000).
If you see job adverts, most salaries nowadays are negotiable and is not affected by your degree classification. In other words, you need to prove you are worth that salary.

I've been in 3 jobs since graduating from university and have seen my pay packet increase gradually because I have proven to myself and employers that I can work hard and can learn in a quick pace.

NOTE: Please don't quote and attack me as I have my own opinions and very much entitled to them! :smile:

This. I'd even go as far as to say that if you have no experience then you should expect absolutely nothing as far as employment goes.

Depends what degree you're graduating from.
I will be finishing next year and qualifying as a nurse.
Safe to say I'll have no experience as a nurse but will be guaranteed a job due to the mass shortage.
If I work for the NHS I'll start the bottom of a band 5 or if I choose privately I can expect to earn near the top of a band 5 nhs wage.
Both pays are decent pays for a graduate. However, in my opinion, not good enough or reflective enough of the responsibilities a nurse has. In particular now with the introduction of a band 4 wage.
However, I have not gone into the career for the pay. But to know if i can one day be financially stable would be lovely.

Most careers however would like you to have the experience and to show you have used your university time wisely.
I have done this on top of my degree as every little helps and it has also helped massively in regards to my job prospects already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending