The Student Room Group

Driving test eye test

Hi, I haven't booked my test yet because I'm worried about the eye test with the distance of the number plates. I wear glasses and had my eye test back in March, with new glasses and everything, but I am worried because I can't see 20 damn metres.

My instructor says it's 5 car lengths and I should be okay, but I'm dubious and scared.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds further away than it actually is, number plates are big enough to read pretty easily (or else they'd be pretty rubbish for use by the police!). Practice when you're walking along a street, see how close you have to be to actually read the plate.
Reply 2
Original post by judging
That was one of the things I was worried about but honestly it's so easy in the test, the number plate isn't far at all.

Your prescription is less than a year old so you should be fine. Just get someone to make you read number plates that are 5 car lengths away. If you can't read them I suggest going for another eye test (Tesco do free ones) to put your mind at rest.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Hoping to do mine before the new ones that come out in April, I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Luneth
It sounds further away than it actually is, number plates are big enough to read pretty easily (or else they'd be pretty rubbish for use by the police!). Practice when you're walking along a street, see how close you have to be to actually read the plate.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that.
Original post by Smileygal
Hi, I haven't booked my test yet because I'm worried about the eye test with the distance of the number plates. I wear glasses and had my eye test back in March, with new glasses and everything, but I am worried because I can't see 20 damn metres.

My instructor says it's 5 car lengths and I should be okay, but I'm dubious and scared.

Thanks in advance.

I'm echoing what the others are saying, practice reading number plates when you're further away. If you're find you're struggling, then I'd suggest to go in for another eye test and get a new prescription. Good luck! :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ohhello92x
I'm echoing what the others are saying, practice reading number plates when you're further away. If you're find you're struggling, then I'd suggest to go in for another eye test and get a new prescription. Good luck! :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 6
Keep guessing until you get it right

I got it wrong 5 times during the test i passed, its just a formality.

Thanks in advance.

I have an astigmatism and i feared the same as you but really, its not too far at all. But its different for everyone obviously :biggrin:
Thank you!

You're welcome:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by William2813
I have an astigmatism and i feared the same as you but really, its not too far at all. But its different for everyone obviously :biggrin:

I'll definitely get my instructor to test me after I park on the side.
(edited 7 years ago)
Far be it for me to state the obvious but...get a tape measure and a long piece of string. Measure 20.5 metres from one end of the string and tie a knot at that point. (Of course you can always just use a long tape measure if you happen to have one that is long enough - few people do) Then, go out with a friend, choose a car, your friend walks towards it with one end of the string and you stay at least 20.5 metres away holding on to the other end. When you are 20.5 metres away, stop and read the number plate.

The eyesight test can be carried out in dull weather when it is more difficult to read it. Make sure you pick a similar day. (I had a pupil fail the eyesight test once because on her previous tests it was sunny (she just passed) and the final test it was dull (she failed).
I need help I have the same problem but I have been to so many opticians and have told me there's nothing that can do
I love driving it's unreal
Reply 12
I thought I'd update you all. I have booked my test and it's next month!
I thought I'd update you all. I have booked my test and it's next month!

Tell us how you get on, and I hope all goes well for you - good luck! :h:
Reply 14
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Tell us how you get on, and I hope all goes well for you - good luck! :h:

Thank you! Let's hope I pass 1st time haha
Hiya! I wanted to know if you passed or not? im so scared about the eyesight tests aswell!! please let me know how you got on :smile: my test is next month!!
Reply 16
Original post by Pretty_Muniii
Hiya! I wanted to know if you passed or not? im so scared about the eyesight tests aswell!! please let me know how you got on :smile: my test is next month!!

Hiya! I've passed. And honestly, don't worry about the eyesight test. It's not bad at all. I just got myself worked up over it.

Next time you're out with your instructor or a family member, practice by reading number plates of cars in front of you.

Good luck!
Thank You hunny!!:tongue: Its made me feel a lot better honestly!
Yeah thats good to hear then!!
Haha! Ill let you know how it goes!
How many minors? && Well done🙌🏽🎉

Thanks and i got 3 minors. Just for using De mister incorrectlt. So auxiliary controls and i sped up early when it said a new speed limit and 1 more which I forgot lol.
Reply 19

I got 2 minors.
One for not signalling on time, it was legit a right turn after the previous right and I anticipated the signal staying on. 😂
Second one for stopping for a pedestrian. I was told to never stop, even if the car opposite stops. Ah well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending