The Student Room Group

What do couples do together?

Ok I know this sounds like a stupid question but hear me out...

I am 21 and have never had a girlfriend and as things stand I have no chance of getting one in the near future. But I have always wondered what do couples do together or talk about? I know there is the obvious i.e. sex but what else?

I've never understood what I would do/talk about with a woman whilst in a relationship, the fact I am not a very social person doesn't help either.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Things me and my partner do together are - play video games together, watch TV shows/ movies together, go for days out, cook together, do little every day things together like shopping, exercise such as walking or swimming, generally just have a laugh doing the most mundane things.

Things we talk about range from personal things involving the relationship such as the wedding to our interests to what is going on in our lives or those we know, we talk about the old times and a lot of the time, its just general every day chit chat but it becomes interesting or funny. Conversation should come naturally in a relationship.
(edited 7 years ago)
In an ideal relationship; you do/talk about the same things as you would with your best friend. Plus sex.
Reply 3
Bonk
Reply 4
....... have sex, go out, have sex, have row, have makeup sex, go out .......
shopping. argue. sex.

not necessarily in that order.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Ok I know this sounds like a stupid question but hear me out...

I am 21 and have never had a girlfriend and as things stand I have no chance of getting one in the near future. But I have always wondered what do couples do together or talk about? I know there is the obvious i.e. sex but what else?

I've never understood what I would do/talk about with a woman whilst in a relationship, the fact I am not a very social person doesn't help either.

We watch movies and TV, play board games, explore towns/cities, go for walks, play sport, go to the cinema and do typical days out kind of stuff (ten pin bowling, zoo, beach). When we chat on Facebook we talk about our day, what we want to do in the near future and distant future, and random stuff.

The easiest thing to do is make friends with girls through learning how to communicate. Making the conversation flow is the key step, asking relevant questions to what she says to show interest and most important sympathising with her; showing empathy is key.
Love each other.
Reply 8
I've always wonderd the same thing. Everyone in my A level class except me have girlfriends and i always wonder what i'd do with one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
#relationshipgoals :lol:
Thank you for the replies everyone! :smile:

It just feels so weird doing things together with someone else lol, I was brought up in a way to be completely self sufficient and never to have to rely on another person. I guess it just comes with a a relationship, I am trying to make myself more social but its hard :s-smilie: and it takes time.

Another thing I want to ask is what kind of stuff do you people talk about on dates? The only thing I watch on TV is the news :colondollar: so that is pretty much ruled out...
Original post by Spock's Socks
Things me and my partner do together are - play video games together, watch TV shows/ movies together, go for days out, cook together, do little every day things together like shopping, exercise such as walking or swimming, generally just have a laugh doing the most mundane things.

Things we talk about range from personal things involving the relationship such as the wedding to our interests to what is going on in our lives or those we know, we talk about the old times and a lot of the time, its just general every day chit chat but it becomes interesting or funny. Conversation should come naturally in a relationship.

That's so sweet :heart:
I love that photo of you guys with the Halloween makeup!
Original post by Precious Illusions
In an ideal relationship; you do/talk about the same things as you would with your best friend. Plus sex.
Totally :moon:
Original post by honour
That's so sweet :heart:
I love that photo of you guys with the Halloween makeup!

Yes it is nice, she's right though, conversations should come naturally in a relationship. You need chemistry for it to work.

OP all it is, is chemistry between you and that person like that understanding. Dont read the BS in mens magazines about friends zones and how to pick up women asking leading questions, your not taking an interview off her lol.
Original post by redleader1
Yes it is nice, she's right though, conversations should come naturally in a relationship. You need chemistry for it to work.

OP all it is, is chemistry between you and that person like that understanding. Dont read the BS in mens magazines about friends zones and how to pick up women asking leading questions, your not taking an interview off her lol.

Thanks. Yeah I see what you mean, I have read plenty of articles on how to approach women but sometimes they just sound stupid.

I have always had the worry on what to talk about on a date, because I don't watch much tv, don't have many friends, I am just a very basic university student lol. :h:

So could you (or anyone) advise me on how to make a date as enjoyable as possible?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Yeah I see what you mean, I have read plenty of articles on how to approach women but sometimes they just sound stupid.

I have always had the worry on what to talk about on a date, because I don't watch much tv, don't have many friends, I am just a very basic university student lol. :h:

So could you (or anyone) advise me on how to make a date as enjoyable as possible?

Like I said articles are BS DONT read them. If you both 'click' its fine if not your just move on and find someone else. Everyone is different there's no specific rule. Just be yourself.
Reply 16
It's basically like your best friend. You talk about a lot of deep stuff together, trust each other with the info we give each other. We regularly go out (I personally prefer to go out to different cities by train just so to decrease the chance of bumping into a family member/friend).
lol im exactly the same except im a bit younger and im a girl LOL i have no idea about any relationship, just thinking about it gives me anxiety and makes me wonder what do these people even do in relationships hahaha and i can be very antisocial and independent too so dw you're not alone
Original post by Imzy010
lol im exactly the same except im a bit younger and im a girl LOL i have no idea about any relationship, just thinking about it gives me anxiety and makes me wonder what do these people even do in relationships hahaha and i can be very antisocial and independent too so dw you're not alone

Haha it's weird lol, I guess it's one of those things that will come with time, like once you get a partner you'll probably wonder why you felt like you do now. But until that time comes we shall remain confused. :h:
*Starts 'shipping OP and Imzy010*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending