The Student Room Group

Bristol vs UCL, whos more likely to make you an offer?

I want to do psychology, and the average offers are:
UCL - AAA-AAB
Bristol - AAB-ABB

Then why have I seen people get rejected from bristol but made an offer by UCL?

Is it really because Bristol hate private school kids? (like me..)

I mean.. when i sent them a formal email requesting a tour of the uni, they replied with "hi Kat", (im Katherine.. hate "Kat"), and i thought they might be patronising me for writing a formal email... :frown:

What do you all think? Will i be more likely to get an offer for UCL?
(I got AABD at AS level, and dropping the D, and hoping to gain the 6 marks needed on the B to get another A (so maybe I will have AAA, not AAB)
Reply 1
I think, in clearing especially, UCL will be more likely to let you in if you haven't made the grades.

Bristol is generally considered one of the best unis outside of Oxbridge, so those applying to Oxbridge tend to put it as their insurance choice. But those who perhaps aren't quite good enough (or don't want to go to) Oxbridge put Bristol as their Firm choice.

Ergo, you have both those who put Bristol as their firm, and those who didn't make the grades for Oxbridge taking up offers from Brizzle. So they have fewer places to offer to others. Whereas, UCL (i THINK) don't have this problem as much, despite being just as good university.

But during the initial application process, universities won't discriminate against you because you went to a private school. Admittedly they are being pressured to take more state school students, but they won't discriminate against you just because of where you went to school.
Reply 2
You can't really generalise in that way. An investigation prompted by these claims showed little to no evidence of anti-private bias, although government quotas encourage them to take more people from the local area, as with all unis. I would have said the opposite, that UCL would be more picky, but noone here is qualified to give a clear answer. The truth is that both basically seek the best applicants, and with AAA you shouldnt have any bother with either. My Bristol offer for languages was BBB, whereas UCL's offers were all higher. Good luck anyways, and remember to apply to where you want to go, rather than where you think will let you in.
Reply 3
stolenstars

I mean.. when i sent them a formal email requesting a tour of the uni, they replied with "hi Kat", (im Katherine.. hate "Kat"), and i thought they might be patronising me for writing a formal email... :frown:

ROFL I sent emails to some universities too but they never sounded patronising or anything. Don't bother applying to Bristol if you feel that it may not be the best place for you.
If anything, UCL should be harder to get an offer from because they ask for higher grades. There are always rumours about certain unis being pro or anti private or state school students, but there's never any proof and I doubt any uni would reject you if you were a good enough applicant just because you go to private school. Apply to whichever you'd actually prefer to go to.
r4e1988
Admittedly they are being pressured to take more state school students, but they won't discriminate against you just because of where you went to school.

They're honestly NOT being pressured to take more state school students.

Bristol's admissions policy has a section where they'll make lower grade offers to applicants from schools with a lower A level average (regardless of who funds the school) - so if everyone in your school gets As then you're unlikely to get the ABB offer from Bristol.

Latest

Trending

Trending