The Student Room Group

Is it a bad choice to not go to a Russell Group university?

So I have received 3 offers so far, one being a non Russell Group university (Loughborough) for the course I wanted with even lower grade requirements than they asked for on their website. However, I am still waiting on 2 replies from my university that I would most like to go to which is a Russell Group. So what I am asking is would it be frowned upon if I went to a non Russell Group university? As Loughborough is in the top 10 universities in the country currently... I'm just a tad confused. Help please?
No, not at all. There are quite a few very good non Russel Group Universities. Russel Group does not necessarily mean that it is an absolute top uni. As an example I'd consider St Andrews a better uni than many "Standard" RG Unis.
The rankings are more important than the question whether it's RG or not and your personal preferences are extremely important as well. Try to choose the Uni and the course that fits you best. Then you'll be more likely to succeed (and in the end, that is what matters most).
Thank you for that, really appreciate it x

Original post by GermanIRhopeful
No, not at all. There are quite a few very good non Russel Group Universities. Russel Group does not necessarily mean that it is an absolute top uni. As an example I'd consider St Andrews a better uni than many "Standard" RG Unis.
The rankings are more important than the question whether it's RG or not and your personal preferences are extremely important as well. Try to choose the Uni and the course that fits you best. Then you'll be more likely to succeed (and in the end, that is what matters most).
Hi,

It depends on what degree it is... I plan on going to Loughborough for Sports Science so that would count for a lot in itself instead of going to a russel group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah makes sense, I want to do Politics and Econ and I received an offer from there. They're in the top 10 for that course so I guess it's good too.
Original post by chloeematthews12
Hi,

It depends on what degree it is... I plan on going to Loughborough for Sports Science so that would count for a lot in itself instead of going to a russel group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelssuck_
Yeah makes sense, I want to do Politics and Econ and I received an offer from there. They're in the top 10 for that course so I guess it's good too.

A university where you think you'll be happy and where the course content and teaching suit your interests/strengths will always be better.

Your success will depend mainly on what you get out of your time at university. Wasting 3 years somewhere you're unhappy ir can't reach your full potential for the sake of "prestige " (which normally doesn't reflect the universities respected by employers) is a poor choice.
Thank you x

Original post by PQ
A university where you think you'll be happy and where the course content and teaching suit your interests/strengths will always be better.

Your success will depend mainly on what you get out of your time at university. Wasting 3 years somewhere you're unhappy ir can't reach your full potential for the sake of "prestige " (which normally doesn't reflect the universities respected by employers) is a poor choice.

Quick Reply

Latest