The Student Room Group

Are 7A*s and 3A*s good enough for Ivy League?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in the uk and on track to get 5 A*,2A and 2B at gcse .The A* are in maths physics chemistry biology and history. I have a us passport I'm hoping to get into an Ivy League University such as Princeton I also may be going to a sixth form in Singapore I'll need to go to sixth form first but what levels should I be getting at sixth form and is their any other steps I should take to have a better chance at going to an Ivy League uni?
Original post by ccmar15
I got 7A*s at GCSE and was accepted to Princeton last month, so I don't know why you're so certain.

Hey i hope you dont mind me asking but what were ur extra curriculars? Thank you
Original post by ccmar15
I got 7A*s at GCSE and was accepted to Princeton last month, so I don't know why you're so certain.

He's hurt cos he got rejected, allow him :frown:(
ivy league is like the russel group of england! would love to go to yale!
The Ivy League is definitely not like the Russel group. The formation of the groups and the calibre of schools in the groups are quite different.

Roughly, in terms of relative prestige and intelligence of student body, Ivy League = Oxbridge.

Why would you love to go to Yale. What about other schools like Amherst, Columbia, Rice and Stanford?
Original post by Coolkitkat23
ivy league is like the russel group of england! would love to go to yale!
dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn cause i know someone who went there, but comparing ivy league to oxbridge, being asian thats why my aunt made a huge deal when her daughter got into 3 ive leagues holy moly
Original post by bant_bus
The Ivy League is definitely not like the Russel group. The formation of the groups and the calibre of schools in the groups are quite different.

Roughly, in terms of relative prestige and intelligence of student body, Ivy League = Oxbridge.

Why would you love to go to Yale. What about other schools like Amherst, Columbia, Rice and Stanford?
Hi!

why Princeton, exactly?

Your GCSE's are definitely not strong enough. I'm at Columbia and kids here on avg have 10A*s at GCSE. Princeton's a little bit easier to get into, but still, you'll need at LEAST 7/8A*s to put yourself on the map. A-levels are much more important. Lowish a4ademics (A*A*AA) for Ivies need to be made up for my extra-curricular activities. these need to shine, shine and SHINE. Kids with 13A*s at GCSE, $A*s at A-level and great ECs get rejected too. Happens all the time

Original post by Spoon££££
I'm in the uk and on track to get 5 A*,2A and 2B at gcse .The A* are in maths physics chemistry biology and history. I have a us passport I'm hoping to get into an Ivy League University such as Princeton I also may be going to a sixth form in Singapore I'll need to go to sixth form first but what levels should I be getting at sixth form and is their any other steps I should take to have a better chance at going to an Ivy League uni?
dudeeeeeeee that sucks i want to get 5 grade 8's at gcse and 7's, well done for columbia though
Hi!

why Princeton, exactly?

Your GCSE's are definitely not strong enough. I'm at Columbia and kids here on avg have 10A*s at GCSE. Princeton's a little bit easier to get into, but still, you'll need at LEAST 7/8A*s to put yourself on the map. A-levels are much more important. Lowish a4ademics (A*A*AA) for Ivies need to be made up for my extra-curricular activities. these need to shine, shine and SHINE. Kids with 13A*s at GCSE, $A*s at A-level and great ECs get rejected too. Happens all the time
The 'best' are actually Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale
Original post by cambio wechsel
no. It would be very unusual if the top universities in that huge country happened all to be (relatively) close enough to each other that sports teams could travel between them even a hundred and more years ago.

The best, better 'best regarded', 8 universities in the United States would be (and only in the order that I call them to mind)

Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, Yale, Berkeley and Chicago.
Hi, universities in the United States look at the four years of high school, so they will consider your choice for IGCSE subjects. However, your A-levels will matter the most.

Getting into MIT or in fact, any top engineering school in the United States such and Stanford or University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (these are top engineering schools in the world and in the US) is significant, I mean significant by a longshot, harder to get into than universities in the U.K due to the holistic admission process and the sheer number of applicants. Just take a look at the acceptance rates. If you are applying to these schools make sure you have some solid backup plans.
Original post by SilentSword
Are 7A*s and 3As good enough to compete for international places in US unis such as MIT, Harvard and Stanford?

Error in the title.
wait someone could work in the us??
the "Best" you have named depend on what criteria. Take engineering for example, the top schools are MIT, Stanford, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, and University of California, Berkeley. The ivies don't even make it to the top 10 in that. The Ivies are just a sporting conference and a lot of their programs cannot compete with the universities I mentioned above.
The 'best' are actually Princeton, Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale
Do people from the UK use agents to support them with the application process, admissions tests prep, Visas etc.?
You could use an agent but I suggest you write the essays yourself because the US application asks you if you used help, and if you did, that reflects poorly on your application.
Original post by bcfcopie
Do people from the UK use agents to support them with the application process, admissions tests prep, Visas etc.?
Original post by solidcashmoney
You could use an agent but I suggest you write the essays yourself because the US application asks you if you used help, and if you did, that reflects poorly on your application.

Ahh ok. So best to do it on your own? My school doesn’t know anything about applying to US unis so could be quite daunting ahaha
Yes do it on your own. I was in exactly the same situation as you, but I managed to get accepted to University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, College of Engineering, as an International student (it is harder for international students to be accepted). I could give you some advice, if you like. STart early on your essays
Original post by bcfcopie
Ahh ok. So best to do it on your own? My school doesn’t know anything about applying to US unis so could be quite daunting ahaha
Yes do it on your own. I was in exactly the same situation as you, but I managed to get accepted to University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, College of Engineering, as an International student (it is harder for international students to be accepted). I could give you some advice, if you like. STart early on your essays

Will do! Thank you
No that's wrong. The 'best' is where you have a combination of the MOST INTELLIGENT STUDENTS, best professors, most resources (which boils down to money), best connections, best alumni networks, and places where the top companies come for career fairs the most. the smartest kids are at ivies so it would make sense to hit up columbia for engineers over UMich ann arbor, even tho Umich ann arbor has a lot more engineering students and a bigger department.

The students intelligence is probably the most import factor. It is a direct indicator and predictor of how empolyable the graduate from that colleg will be. Going by the incoming GPAs and SAT scores of all the schools mentioned so far, it goes as follows:

MIT
Columbia
Princeton

University of California, Berkeley
Stanford
Georgia Tech,
Carnegie Mellon
University of Michigan Ann Arbor

the "Best" you have named depend on what criteria. Take engineering for example, the top schools are MIT, Stanford, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, and University of California, Berkeley. The ivies don't even make it to the top 10 in that. The Ivies are just a sporting conference and a lot of their programs cannot compete with the universities I mentioned above.
A breakdown of admission rates across the Ivy League for the Class of 2023:

Harvard - 4.5%
Columbia - 5.1%
Princeton - 5.8
Yale - 5.9
Brown - 6.6
UPenn - 7.4
Dartmouth - 7.9
Cornell - 10.6
Reply 39
What A level predictions did you have?

Quick Reply