The Student Room Group

Need a book for prizegiving

I've just finished year 11. I got a prize in ICT, and the head of year gave us all a chat about it. He said we should get something that we wouldnt just read once then throw away. What kind of book is that? I don't want to get a textbook or something and look like a real geek infront of my school, but then again i don't want to look like an idiot with something really simple. Most of my friends have got peoples biographies..like derren brown and peter kay.. is this suitable? Arrrrgh
Reply 1
Do you play any instruments? I find sheet music a good idea, or instructional books and the like. If not, just get a book which has something to do with your interests.
Reply 2
Did they specify whether it was meant to be fiction or non fiction?
Reply 3
I play piano but can't think specifically of what i would get. I didn't do GCSE music and don't have any involvement with the school musicwise.

They didn't specify, but they hinted towards nonfiction i suppose
Get Margaret Thatcher's book 'The Downing Street Years'

That'd go down well!
Reply 5
I got a book as an academic prize this year 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich'

(if anyone knows what happens to this hitler chap in the end don't spoil it for me)

anyway... I think you should get a classic book of either Fiction or non-fiction, something like 1984 or war and peace, you will probably keep this kind of book and re-read it. Then again, what do I know? Get something that interests you.
Reply 6
cuth
(if anyone knows what happens to this hitler chap in the end don't spoil it for me)

:rofl:
Reply 7
nicketh
I play piano but can't think specifically of what i would get. I didn't do GCSE music and don't have any involvement with the school musicwise.

They didn't specify, but they hinted towards nonfiction i suppose

What level are you at? I've had months of fun out of Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies (the book is 500 pages and was about £12 on Amazon) and they are probably a couple of years past grade 8 level.
Reply 8
For my VI Form Prizegiving I went for a book that would be useful for my course (I made the Librarian work hard and import it from the US). The text was certainly not a 'throw away', neither was it 'easy'. I don't see the point in wasting it on some rubbishy pulp-fiction or 'celebrity biography' seeing as most biographies have all the credible content of a Wikipedia entry.
Reply 9
Personally, I just got a book token and used it when I remembered I had it. Ironically, I bought "The dictionary of Human Geography" with it. It was a prize for achievement in geography :p:
I chose 'Literary Theory - An Anthology' for my 6th form prize... and I use it often.
Reply 11
What are you going on to do (or planning to)? If it's something specific a subject encyclopaedia may be a good idea :smile:
A poetry anthology? That'd be a keeper. Or a classic as someone suggested like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights? I would avoid a modern novel, but a biography would also be a good idea.
Reply 13
I would go for a book on you subject, i.e. when my Electronics AS-Level prize came up I bought Horowitz and Hill.
Reply 14
Well it's really something YOU are going to reread, so maybe a classic or biography that you've always wanted a copy of.

Latest

Trending

Trending