The Student Room Group

Which Msc in Management after Msc in Information Systems?

Hello here!!

I will finish my msc in Informarion Systems next year, and I want to come to UK, in order to study for a Msc in Management or Economics. My grades are quite high, so I am about to apply to all top unis there.

BUT the problem is, that I want to stay in UK, and work there for 3-4 years, pursuing a carreer NOT as a software developer/engineer, but as a consultant or something like that. I know very little things about business, and this is why I started this thread.

What are the job prospects in UK for such a case as mine? Do you think that an Msc in Management from i.e LSE would help me much in the direction described above? Or will be a waste of time?

Thank you all for reading this, I hope it will grow to an interesting conversation here about Masters in Management for CompSci and Engineering undergrads. :tsr2:
Reply 1
No one ? :frown:
Reply 2
they will probably reject you on the basis that you already have a masters degree in information systems. Information systems is a technology management degree so i dont think you will get accepted by the top unis such as warwick/lse -. They run management programmes as conversion courses, so you need a degree from a different field for them to consider you because they are looking for students who are motivated by 1)career or 2)research. I think you will only get in if you convince them that you want to do a PHD. This is because they are more likely to favour a undergrad with a different degree who wants to study management because he/she is more likely to benefit from the course.

The best route would be to do a masters in economics, at least it is different. Better still, just apply for a work permit and try and get a job in London.
Reply 3
the_beast

The best route would be to do a masters in economics, at least it is different. Better still, just apply for a work permit and try and get a job in London.

Thank you for all the information! I would like to study in London, and then work there for a couple of years. So you think a masters in economics would be better for me... Interesting opinion! A masters in pure management perhaps? Like the one in Tanaka business school or the one in LSE? What about it? In my course of Information Systems we did VERY LITTLE things about management. The course had a more tech direction. So I hardly know anything about business and management, and this is why I would like to do a masters in management/economics. Or a masters in Technology Policy from Cambridge, or the ADMIS in LSE, which covers the social aspects of Information Systems. Will any of them provide me with good enough job prospects for a job in London?

Thanks again!
Reply 4
Its a waste of time, if you get a job in a company such as IBM and accenture they will always train you in the latest database technologies such as ITL. This is why they are not too bothered if you have an IT/business degree.

You have already got an IT degree, infact a masters. IMO the admissions will just think you are only applying to LSE because you just want the name on your CV. The ADMIS course is essentially an IS degree and given the fact that you already have an IS masters, it just seems a bit weird as to why you would actually want to do the same degree in again. In truth they would rather offer your place to a maths (or from any other subject) ug who wants a degree in IS to boost his career chances in the IT industry.

If you want to do a masters then you should. IF you want to do a masters in economics you need to have studied it at UG. If i was you id just do a computer masters at UCL/kings college london - that will be good enough for you to get any IT job given your background.

If you want to do management masters then apply to LSE/CASS/TANAKA.

at kings they do a MSC in management which covers social aspects as well, might want to look into that.
With respect to the_best you are talking total rubbish! I'm a graduate of LSE and my first degree is technology, I did an MSc in New Media, Information and Society. An interdepartmental degree between media and communications and Information systems.

LSE is about SOCIAL science, they don't teach programming. LSE is a great place and if you get accepted you will love it.
I don't see the problem here. An MSc is a completely different discipline from an MBA, which is what I recommend you consider if you want to develop the skill set you have described in your post. Most of the major consultancy firms are always keen to recruit good MBAs, and I don't think that having one of the big name business schools on your CV would do your job prospects any harm at all.

I suggest you look at the possibility of doing an MBA at one of the top UK business schools. There are other threads that discuss the relative merits of all of them - my personal preference is for Warwick Business School, but that's because that's where I did my Masters, rather than any empirical reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending