The Student Room Group

'real gap' experiences, in particular thailand.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ive booked a trip to sri lanka with them next july for a month
to work at an orphanage project
and it doesnt seem pricey at all
the cost of the trip is £599..without flights
so with flights it will be around £1200
which is a bargin for one month
when i went to zimbabwe with my church for 3 weeksit cost me £1500

and i personally like the fact that its all organised and it feels safer

im going alone and i cant wait

gonna be immense

xxxxxxx
Reply 21
monica7790
hey im thinking of going on the real gap thailand experience in 08 for four weeks. has anyone been on any real gap experiences? were their any problems? how would you rate it overall? and most of all has anyone done the thailand experience? many thanks

Hey, actually....i've just booked the thailand experience with real gap!
I'm going at the end of October 2008
I just got my info pack thing through today :]
Theres some reviews on the real gap website and theres the video.
It is pretty expensive...but my mum would rather fork out alot of money that trust me to survive in Thailand by myself...
Reply 22
awh wow! thanks for replying, good luck on ur trip! xxx
Reply 23
66_crush
but my mum would rather fork out alot of money that trust me to survive in Thailand by myself...

ahaaha i think its the same with mine
lol
but im paying for it..somehow
Hi

I am the Product Quality Manager here at Real Gap. Kateyrib and 66crush I hope you guys have an amazing time in Sri Lanka and Thailand - remember to give the team a shout if you have any questions before heading off!

Monica7790 - if you would like any further info about our programmes then please drop us an email or give us a call. Remember that along with all your food, accomodation and activities you also have the benefit of knowing that everything has been well organised for you, and you have access to lots of assitance prior to, and during your trip.

Thanks,

Felicity.
Funny, I thought this website was called 'The Student Room', not 'The Product Quality Manager Room'...

Still at least you didn't pretend you were a student giving their own opinion.
I met her ^^ at the GAP YEAR SHOW at the Excel in London - very helpful actually.
Reply 27
im going with them on sunday!
they have been brilliant..everything is sorted..replied to all emails..gave me extra time to pay..and i know im going to be safe..all my food and accomedation is sorted and paid for, plus there is the advantage of meeting other people going!
the accomedation is with a sri lankan family..so you get a more cultural experience, also the programe is orphanage work, where your time is so valuable..its important that these comapnies run programmes like this because it means that the orhanage and schools for example have a constant supply of support and workers. It may be pricey, for someone like me who only wants to go for a month and doesnt have the time to organise a project like this.its brilliant, they are a reliable company and im soo excited, dont dismiss them, because yess they are there to make money, but the project do also benefit the people!..and its perfect..im only 17..so its good that im going be safe etc
x
Reply 28
They charge you **** loads for what will cost you way way less if you do it yourself. Total thieves the lot of them!

In regards to border crossings above, I don't think it matters how you get there, all the border crossings are pretty horrendous into Laos. I heard the Vietnamese borders are the worst, because the only way is by bus which takes absolutely ages.

EDIT: LOL, just read one of their pages "Each bathroom has a shower and the water is always cool – nice and refreshing in the heat." - way to go on creating a positive spin, on what is essentially a negative fact.
Reply 29
Ewan
They charge you **** loads for what will cost you way way less if you do it yourself. Total thieves the lot of them!

They are pricey and you would save alot of money doing in on your own, but a few people on this thread planning on going seems to be around 17, and just left school, and are probably used to travelling with parents or friends, and understandably the prospect of travelling to a foriegn country alone is daunting, the advantage with companies like real gap, have everything planned and set out, and offer some things you can't do if you plan to go on your own.

Basically I think Real Gap and similar companies are good (if you have the money) for younger adults not quite comfortable enough to travel completely solo yet, and want to experience an interesting and completely different country, knowing they are looked after by people trained for and used to that sort of thing.
Reply 30
Zanik
They are pricey and you would save alot of money doing in on your own, but a few people on this thread planning on going seems to be around 17, and just left school, and are probably used to travelling with parents or friends, and understandably the prospect of travelling to a foriegn country alone is daunting, the advantage with companies like real gap, have everything planned and set out, and offer some things you can't do if you plan to go on your own. GAP years imo, are about growing up, learning new skills, coping on your own, and experiencing new places.

Basically I think Real Gap and similar companies are good (if you have the money) for younger adults not quite comfortable enough to travel completely solo yet, and want to experience an interesting and completely different country, knowing they are looked after by people trained for and used to that sort of thing.

I was 18 years old when I went on my GAP year, and I went alone (to these countries - SEA + China & Japan). I wasn't feeling confident, I was scared at the start, and lonely, but I was fine. I grew up a lot in those 7 months, and had to learn a lot myself, with noone elses help. Its useful not to have someone there to help you, when I was at home I just got my parents to do everything.

They take advantage of you, because your right, it is daunting at first. The thing you don't realise is this all changes when you get on the road, but by that time its too late. If they had been travelling before they wouldn't be going with Realgap (unless they were loaded), because they'd realise that they aren't required to have a good time. Sure thing's are easier, but not enough to warrant the large amounts they charge. I was spending 10 POUNDS a day in Thailand, 10 POUNDs (all incl of travel, accommodation, food, and activities), with what they offer you, it would cost £5. They don't offer you totals in the site incl of food etc, so I have to reference another GAP year company that charge 1469 for 4 weeks. Thats 52GBP per day, now considering for a lot of that you'll be living in villages on less than 2 GBP per day, its a lot. I think paying 500% of the cost per day, for what is essentially organisation is a little ridiculous, & that doesn't even include all food.

I mean its up to them at the end of the day, I just try to paint another side to the story & show that its not impossible or that difficult to survive without help. If you've got the money go for it, but they do charge a lot for what they do.
Reply 31
Glad this thread is here, I was going to post something similar.

I'm thinking of doing a combination of the China/Vietnam/Thailand trips on Real Gap. It does seem like a lot of money but it does include lots of activities/trips and all your accommodation and meals as well. I personally am terrible at organising such things and think it would be so stressful to do it myself so for people like us I think it's great :smile: Plus you have the confidence that you'll actually be meeting people doing the same thing as well.
Reply 32
Ewan
I was 18 years old when I went on my GAP year, and I went alone (to these countries - SEA + China & Japan). I wasn't feeling confident, I was scared at the start, and lonely, but I was fine. I grew up a lot in those 7 months, and had to learn a lot myself, with noone elses help. Its useful not to have someone there to help you, when I was at home I just got my parents to do everything.

They take advantage of you, because your right, it is daunting at first. The thing you don't realise is this all changes when you get on the road, but by that time its too late. If they had been travelling before they wouldn't be going with Realgap (unless they were loaded), because they'd realise that they aren't required to have a good time. Sure thing's are easier, but not enough to warrant the large amounts they charge. I was spending 10 POUNDS a day in Thailand, 10 POUNDs (all incl of travel, accommodation, food, and activities), with what they offer you, it would cost £5. They don't offer you totals in the site incl of food etc, so I have to reference another GAP year company that charge 1469 for 4 weeks. Thats 52GBP per day, now considering for a lot of that you'll be living in villages on less than 2 GBP per day, its a lot. I think paying 500% of the cost per day, for what is essentially organisation is a little ridiculous, & that doesn't even include all food.

I mean its up to them at the end of the day, I just try to paint another side to the story & show that its not impossible or that difficult to survive without help. If you've got the money go for it, but they do charge a lot for what they do.

You went solo? Thats sounds pretty interesting, how did you plan, and what sort of things did you do? I am about to start a gap year, but I think i'm ruling out any Gap companies due to the fact i'd save more money and be alot more daring and exciting to go solo.
its true that january and Feb might be the best months to visit Thailand but I guess it will be great anytime as long as you are provided with good air-conditioning. lol but even there is no air-con , i would still LOVE thailand.
Reply 34
^ You won't get aircon in villages, from May onwards it will be very hot, 33-40 degrees.

Zanik
You went solo? Thats sounds pretty interesting, how did you plan, and what sort of things did you do? I am about to start a gap year, but I think i'm ruling out any Gap companies due to the fact i'd save more money and be alot more daring and exciting to go solo.

Planning is made easy by the 247589758375 tour companies out there which will organise anything you could possibly want to do, for you. I didn't do that many activities, I mean I did the regular stuff like canoeing, snorkeling, jungle hiking etc. These things are there for you if you want them though. White water rafting, elephant rides, teaching children, trekking to minority villages (and sleeping there), rock climbing etc etc can all be organised very easilly out there. Your probably looking at about £15 per activity or 1000 baht, for an entire day all incl. You don't ever plan anything on your own, you always get a company to do it, unless you can speak Thai. Travel agents in Thailand are so god damn cheap though, because of the fierce competition.

Mostly I just did the tourist thing, traveling around seeing the sights. Guidebooks are brilliant for this, and will tell you anything you need to know. Traveling is actually very easy once you get there. Seems like a terrifying thing now I know, but once you get there you will think "why the **** was I worried about this so much?". People will quite literally do anything to help you, for money, and with it being a poor country, not a great deal of it.

EDIT: I didn't go on tours but they are available everywhere. I completely despise tour travel, I think its the eq to a cholesterol build up in your arteries. They stand there in huge huddles obstructing the view for everyone else, while some dude shouts in a loud microphone in chinese pissing everyone off.
Reply 35
I agree totally with Ewan. I'm always bemused by people who pay to go volunteer. The best thing to do is to travel, you get to see first hand where your help can be most effective. An orphanage will rarely turn your help down, usually they will be so happy you turned up! I've also heard stories of people paying to go build a school in Africa, only for it to be knocked down when they leave to be built by the next group of paying volunteers!
Reply 36
monica7790
hey im thinking of going on the real gap thailand experience in 08 for four weeks. has anyone been on any real gap experiences? were their any problems? how would you rate it overall? and most of all has anyone done the thailand experience? many thanks

hey there, Ive booked up for jan 09, have you been yet?! i know there are some bad remarks about real gap but I think they are alright and thailand does look amazing!! just dont expect anything, then whatever happens will be mint! :smile:
Reply 37
Hey,
I was considering going with RealGap,
Doing conservation an comunity work in south africa

Anyone done this? Had an bad experiences with realgap?
Any Advicee... other companies you would suggest are better?
Reply 38
Bob-J
Hey,
I was considering going with RealGap,
Doing conservation an comunity work in south africa

Anyone done this? Had an bad experiences with realgap?
Any Advicee... other companies you would suggest are better?

hey!! there are loads of mixed reviews about real gap out there...but im going to thailad with them, should be good :smile:
if I were you...look around at other companies providing the same thing and see how they compare in price.etc.
Reply 39
Yeah, I did most of my gap year on my own but i went with a company, not real gap; they don't do the place i wanted to go, when i went to the middle east.

When you're 18 and have just left school, or even if you're older and travelling alone for the first time, it's great to have back up of being able to phone people who know the area and can get people to come and help you.

As for volunteering, it may make more sense to go straight to the charity so that they get all of your money but that would probably restrict the charities that you could go with - non-international charities may be difficult to contact or communicate with and not have places for international volunteers - particularly forr those who can only give a month or two.

As for realgap, there are a lot of reviews saying that they're crap, clearly some people have had a bad time on their programmes but people who had terrible times are more likely to go on things like this and complain about them than people who had a good time. Still I haven't been on any of their programmes....

Quick Reply

Latest