The Student Room Group

Journalism

Basically due to my **** AS performance in English Lit, they are advising I drop it. I don't want to but if I have to then I'll have to take on another AS subject.

On the Sheffield Hallam website, on the Journalism undergraduate page, it said I need 240 points, but of which 80 need to be from a "relevant subject". It listed History & Psychology as relevant subjects, which I'm taking onto A2.

Do you think it'd matter if I didn't do an English A2, and would I be able to get onto a Journalism course without it?

And a random question also, does General Studies go towards my final points required? :smile:
Reply 1
plenty of people don't do English at A-level and end up in a Journalism career. I'm planning on doing theology/Religious studies at uni which is totally unrelated yet I want to have a career in Journalism. I think the thing about Journalism is that you don't have to be able to write particualarly elaboratley, you have to write well but simple and straight forward so no I don't think that you dropping English is going to prevent your chances of having a career in Journalism or getting onto a Journalism course at uni.
If it doesn't say you need English - I think you might but I'm not entirely sure - then you should be fine and depending on the uni but if you have two of the subjects listed then you should be fine. Again I think it depends on the uni to see if General Studies is accepted or not. But for applying without English, just make sure you're personal statement is very enthusiastic and screams out to the unis that you REALLY want to do it. That should give you a much better chance where more people will have english.
Reply 3
dont mean to sound patrionizing if u know all this already just thought id give my 2 cents if you didnt :smile:

im applying for journalism this year too.....just wondered if journalism is something you definitely want to go into? pretty much if you want a job in journalism, particularly newspapers, you need to do the National Council for Training of Journalists qualifications (exams in law, shorthand etc)..thus no point doing a degree in it if it isn't accredited by the NCTJ (look on the NCTJ website it lists a load of courses which are)..or alternatively you can do an NCTJ accredited post-grad course. this is because these courses will include the NCTJ exams in the syllabus whereas, as far as i've researched, non accredited courses dont really bother with them.

just what ive been told when ive done work experience etc..there are lower grade universities (i.e. southampton solent) which aren't particularly considered as good unis but their courses are pretty respected in terms of journalism. specifically solent because its also accredited by the BCTJ (broadcast) and PTC (magazines).

again, this is only what i've been told by people i've done work experience with so i wouldnt worry so much about not having english! unless u jus fancy doing a degree in an interesting subject and aren't so bothered about career prospects..then ignore all of what ive said haha.

also sorry if this doesnt make sense its late..ha.

Latest

Trending

Trending