The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ignore her.

my teacher told me to say something about my A2 subjects and i had a sentence or two about them, but I wouldnt have put it in if I hadn't thought it sounded quite good, heh.
Reply 2
Er she's right actually. You need to show what doing science alevels have taught you skills wise, and how these relate/prepare you for medicine!
Reply 3
Don't know if I would right a third about it though..just one sentence on each subject is enough.
Reply 4
Hmm, i don't feel its necessary to do so. I did devote a few lines to AS biology however as i am studying the SNAB course and the course content is particularly relevant to a career in medicine as it involves studying the causes, symptoms and treatments of cardiovascular disease and cystic fibrosis.

It's up to you what you include. It is after all a personal statement.
Reply 5
I would ignore her, sounds like nonsense. More like spending a third on "why medicine" and what your work experience taught you.
Reply 6
I didn't talk much about my actual subjects, but I did write a paragraph showing my interst in science 'cos I researched something after going to a conference...it *kinda* fits. But in terms of actualy subjects, I just talked about liking studing things in depth and absically how everything fits together, rather than one particular aspect because I love everything.
Reply 7
I've been told (over and over) that a lot of people fall into the trap of not making their personal statement academic enough.

You need to be able to show that you've gained from your AS and that you enjoyed it (like people said); but if you feel like you've gained more from other areas I personally would advise that you could make it a bit less than a third. At the moment, my personal statement has about 1000 characters of 'academic' stuff.

Disclaimer: I suck at writing personal statements
I have spent say, one long-ish paragraph on that, mainly because I want to explain why I did Bio, chem and Eng....instead of say bio chem and maths/physics.

Tbh I think its more important to comment on your experiences and why that has motivated you to do medicine, as other people have said.

x
Reply 9
I have about 1000 characters on academic stuff, including some extension research on varicose vein surgery that I conducted upon my own initiative.

it should be less about what your subjects have taught you, but more about how your subjects have led you to become more interested in teaching yourself more stuff etc.
there's no formula for it tho. i mean one person can say you need x y and z to get in but there's no guarantees. you're just trying to express yourself through a short passage of text and it's near impossible. there are other places on your application that let a good academic record shine. your ps is for the other bits.
also jus really curious sunspoon about why you're applying to liverpool with 3 really traditional unis??
The advice given to the OP is ludicrous. Seriously - don't bother writing about your subjects. Your tutor will write a reference for you detailing the academic side of things so there really is no need to dedicate ONE THIRD of your statement to writing about your subjects. For degrees such as history and french then I understand you may need to write about how the studying of those subjects has led you to want to do a degree in it, but medicine isn't the same. Meh. Whatever.
Reply 13
I really don't see the point in stating your subjects within the PS. There are other parts in your application that will allow the tutors to see what you've studied/are studying. It's therefore a total waste of space, IMO.
What could you possibly say about the subjects most applicants take that would make you stand out?

Having said that, I did mention one of my subjects in my PS because I got to choose a topical issue for my coursework for it, and learnt about a fair few ethical dilemmas.
I've been told (over and over) that a lot of people fall into the trap of not making their personal statement academic enough.

You need to be able to show that you've gained from your AS and that you enjoyed it (like people said); but if you feel like you've gained more from other areas I personally would advise that you could make it a bit less than a third. At the moment, my personal statement has about 1000 characters of 'academic' stuff.

Think about it. Your UCAS form has all your academics, grades, subjects etc. Your PS is to show off your passion for wanting to study medicine, commitment, understanding of what it involves etc. If you starting talking about your largely irrelevant chemistry, or biology...moving the focus away from TAKE ME! I REALLY WANT TO STUDY MEDICINE! to Hmm, I seem to be talking a lot about chemistry, is there a possibility this person might be more suited to chemistry instead?

Or talking about what your subjects taught you...can you honestly say that an A level biology coursework taught you research skills?

Stick to showing your enthusiasm for medicine in your personal statement, rather than academics...academics is only the smallest hurdle to get over, considering that everyone applying is predicted AAB in most circumstances.
Reply 15
I would say that you should only mention your subjects if it is because there is a particular topic that you have studied which has really interested you etc. In mine i mentioned an essay I was writing for geography on the influence of the physical environment on the development and spread of malaria. A third is far to much to use on this and deffinately don't just say "chemistry and biology have taught me to have an analytical mind" You have no idea how many people say things like that and the admissions tutors know what is basically covered in these A-levels so stating that won't really gain anything.

Might be worth posting a copy in the PS helpers section to get another oppinion when you have written a draft.
Reply 16
;no; I devoted almost nothing of my personal statement to the sciences that I did for A level. I believe I related my choices to a deep interest in science, and that was about as far as it went :smile:. The more crucial things you should mention are reasons why you think you're suited to medicine, and work experience you've done that shows your commitment and interest, and also what you learned from each experience.
Reply 17
Wow! My head of year said not to even mention A-level choices, because that would be a waste of space! Oh well - I still got three interviews, whilst my friend got four for medicine. The reason I didn't get the fourth (yes I phoned them to ask!) was because I got a B in AS Chemistry - nothing to do with PS. Do what you like!
Reply 18
Ribbons
What could you possibly say about the subjects most applicants take that would make you stand out?
But not everyone takes the same subjects. And if you didnt take bio, chem, maths, physics, further maths.. you might want to explain why or how it makes you a better candidate.

For example I think someone with Bio, chem and english is more likely to be a better doctor than someone with bio, chem and maths, because of better communication skills etc..

anyway each to their own.
what does taking an english a level say about your communication skills?

Latest

Trending

Trending