The Student Room Group

A Level Maths

I am taking A Level Maths this year and the teacher who had taught me for the past 3 years has left:| he was head of maths and now we have like 3 teachers who teach us, 2 who are new and don't know how to expalin anything:| I really think I am going to flop this year, we have a class of about 35 students and the room can barely fit 30 and also the teachers are so bad. I was wondering is the course mostly self taught I got an A* at GCSE but the teacher was also good at the rate this class is going I doubt I'l get a C :|
Reply 1
I find that a lot of it is self teach. I had 2 teachers for maths, one was brilliant and the other was the 2nd worst teacher I have ever had.
I stopped going to his lessons as he spent most of his time gossiping.
In turn I spent most of my lunch times with my other teacher who explained in 20 mins what I should of learnt in that 1 hour lesson.

I would suggest that you get as much help as you can from your good maths teacher and spend a lot of free lessons on the stuff that you should of done in class.

If you ever need help go to that maths help section. They are pretty helpful
Reply 2
I'd say they were generally quite self-teachable, but you'll still need a teacher, or someone with more mathematical experience who can explain things well, to check youre on the right lines with everything and you're getting through the content fast enough. People on TSR are very usually more than willing to help with specific problems and giving general advice. Make the most of it.
Reply 3
The textbooks normally have lots of examples and explananations of how to do stuff so you can learn it yourself.
Also there are lots of questions normally with answers so you can also test yourself to see how well you are working
Reply 4
Hi, im a mature student and I taught myself AS Maths last year (and got an A!)

I find that self teaching actually worked quite well for me, for example if you get a different answer to one in the back of the book instead of asking your teacher for the answer you actually work though the question and see the right answer for yourself.

Plus to do well at maths you really just need to do loads of practice questions, and when it comes to revision do as many practice exam papers as possible.

I did OCR syllabus and used this series of books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/level-Maths-OCR-C2/dp/0748794549/ref=sr_1_12/203-0520644-2918354?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189748151&sr=8-12

However i've started at college this year and for A2 we are doing the edexcell syllabus and are using this series of books which seem to be equally as good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0435510975/ref=s9_asin_image_1-1966_g1/203-0520644-2918354?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0ZDM3310Z941PW9PKWDR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=141221691&pf_rd_i=468294

Good luck, it is definately possible to self teach a level maths (don't think it will be easy though). If you do need any help feel free to PM me.
Reply 5
why arte people on this forum always complaining about teachers.At this stage i.e. as/a2 yuo should really be an independent learner and only use your teachers when your really stuck.Last year i had to do as maths and as f.maths without c3/c4-our teacher didn't mind though she expected me to read up on the useful parts of c3 and c4 and in doing so it really helped me to develop my mathematics.

Anyway if your teacher(s) are bad that doesn't mean your gona flop-you justve to put in more effort.
Reply 6
Self teach topics before the teacher goes through it, that'll definitely help. If not just do it all by yourself. Ask the teachers for the Solution Bank, that helps a lot.
Reply 7
majority of it can be self-taught...ask for help when you need it though

Latest