The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

mr_maniac
Right, erm - apologies if already asked before, but I have a question!!

I live a very long way from Durham, but it's likely to be my first choice Uni having got an offer. The question is - do you have to move you, and/or stuff out of your room at the end of every half term/term (i.e. how often do you, or your poor parents, have to jaunt up/down the country bringing all your stuff to/from the place)?

Any info much appreciated as my parents are stressing about how we're going to manage such a big distance! Obviously international students have a bigger trip to make, but at the best part of 300 miles, it's not exactly a short trip down here either!

Cheers

mr_m

i have the same problem...

yes i think you clear your stuff out for all holidays (it varies from college to college presumably so double check)

apparently there is limited storage available (prioritised though, for international students) which you can pay for... or i guess you could get an extended let and just stay in Durham... or pay for external storage, you might want to check costs.

I am probably going pay to store my stuff and fly home from Newcastle as its the cheapest option for me! alternatively i will force my parents to drive up every holiday and collect me and all my things...!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
On a slightly related note, anyone have any suggestions about how to get one's stuff to and from Durham without a car?

Damn parents and their lack of being able to drive...
Reply 1982
[quote='Flo[ProActiv]']On a slightly related note, anyone have any suggestions about how to get one's stuff to and from Durham without a car?

You can buy things like your duvet, bed linen, towels, toiletries and stationary here, so don't bother dragging that up. Essentially, you want your clothes and electrical stuff plus anything like sports kit or musical instruments. If you think really hard about everything you need when packing, it should all fit in a suitcase and a rucksack. You can always go home mid-term and bring another load up - a lot of people go home for food and central heating once a term! Then pick the public transport of your choice (train, coach, plane to Newcastle than trains/taxi to Durham). I know it's not far to walk, but if you've got a heavy suitcase you can easily get a taxi to college and it'll cost you about a fiver.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv]']On a slightly related note, anyone have any suggestions about how to get one's stuff to and from Durham without a car?

Bring the bare minimum with you - clothes, toiletry, little things - and send the rest by post. It'll be heavy, so don't send useless stuff you could find in Durham. Or you could try to get a friend to drive you there?
Just concerning the question I asked a couple of days ago (and a few posts back) - I've just been able to get in touch with an old friend, who is studying at Van Mildert in her first year - I asked her the same questions I asked here, and it appears (in case anyone else is also wondering about this!) that (at this college anyway), if you get the basic 29-week let, you can leave your stuff in the room over Christmas, and you get significant under-bed storage at Easter - enough to leave almost all your things there during that break as well - meaning you only have to transport stuff away from the place at the end of the year - although she's living in a house with some mates in the second year, and they get the keys to that just a week after term finishes in july :biggrin:

Hope that's useful, sorta answers my own original question hehe

mr_m
Reply 1985
Random question: How long does it take to walk between the science site and the city?

Thanks!
Reply 1986
Emjabr
Random question: How long does it take to walk between the science site and the city?

Thanks!

About 10 minutes to the DSU/Elvet Riverside (lecture theatres) or under 20 to the city centre if the traffic lights are on your side.
Reply 1987
Emjabr

Thanks!

depends where in the city and how fast you walk :yep:
umm... 10 minutes to the DSU, 20 to the centre. I think that's about right.
Reply 1988
mr_maniac
Just concerning the question I asked a couple of days ago (and a few posts back) - I've just been able to get in touch with an old friend, who is studying at Van Mildert in her first year - I asked her the same questions I asked here, and it appears (in case anyone else is also wondering about this!) that (at this college anyway), if you get the basic 29-week let, you can leave your stuff in the room over Christmas, and you get significant under-bed storage at Easter - enough to leave almost all your things there during that break as well - meaning you only have to transport stuff away from the place at the end of the year - although she's living in a house with some mates in the second year, and they get the keys to that just a week after term finishes in july :biggrin:

Hope that's useful, sorta answers my own original question hehe

mr_m

Yeh, lots of colleges have the bedbox system where you can leave stuff, they can't guarantee it's secure though. They are locked but they're only made of wood so anyone could break in to them I suppose, but I'm at Mildert and I've never heard of anyone having any trouble with them. The problem tends to be at the end of the year when you've accumalated more and more stuff, how do you get it all home?!

*River
About 10 minutes to the DSU/Elvet Riverside (lecture theatres) or under 20 to the city centre if the traffic lights are on your side.

That's if you're walking reallllly slowly!
Reply 1989
Hi. I kinda want to know if I made the right decision, or if I was to late to make the request?

My application went to a college over the weekend, which turned out to be Grey College. I admit I submitted an open application, because I thought I didn't have much of a chance. My grades are good but my GCSEs were terrible. Grey College looked nice enough, but I'm a drama geek (Classics major) and I love the old feel of academia, so I emailed them asking if I could get forwarded to St. Mary's or St. John's.

Do I realistically have a chance? I know they're the older ones, but they seemed to push their theatrics and choir and such in their videos and I think I'd love it.
Reply 1990
Hi! I've gotten a conditonal offer for Applied Psychology at Stephenson College, and they're asking me to send them my original certificates confirming my qualifications. Do I just bung them in an enveolpe and send them to Stockton? I'm a bit iffy about sending them through the post- don't want to lose those. What did you do?
xanthian

Do I realistically have a chance? I know they're the older ones, but they seemed to push their theatrics and choir and such in their videos and I think I'd love it.

You've properly got a better chance with St Mary's (being a hill college, although still very popular and possibly one of the most of the newer colleges) rather than John's. But I don't know the exact stats or procedure. You'll just have to wait really. Your choice of college doesn't really matter a great deal. All provide a decent social environment and support. Classics is based on the Bailey (but again, you'll probably have your lectures in 1970s ER as do most arts and Social science students).

Atrixa
Hi! I've gotten a conditonal offer for Applied Psychology at Stephenson College, and they're asking me to send them my original certificates confirming my qualifications. Do I just bung them in an enveolpe and send them to Stockton? I'm a bit iffy about sending them through the post- don't want to lose those. What did you do?

Contact them and ask but if you must send them then recorded delivery is probably the best way.

I live in NE40 by the way (the Northumberland border). Washington isn't crappy at all! All unis have a regional bias, to some extent. Just don't know many from Washington tis all.
Reply 1992
River85

Contact them and ask but if you must send them then recorded delivery is probably the best way.

I live in NE40 by the way (the Northumberland border). Washington isn't crappy at all! All unis have a regional bias, to some extent. Just don't know many from Washington tis all.

Ah, ok! I've noticed a lot of people from my college favour Newcastle/Northumbria/ Sunderland. I don't think they realise that Durham doesn't ask for AAA and 10 A*s all the time. I do know a girl who's applied for Business at QC (snow college), however. I think I'll email the admissions dept.
River85

That's just an unadulterated lie. If I believed in the reputation system, I'd want to give you negatives right now :biggrin:

Yes, I have lived there.
Reply 1994
Lol, there is a huge population of charvers. Anyway, I got an email back, and I am to ignore the request for my certificates- some kind of mistake in the letter. Saves me a job, anyway.
Reply 1995
River85
You've properly got a better chance with St Mary's (being a hill college, although still very popular and possibly one of the most of the newer colleges) rather than John's. But I don't know the exact stats or procedure.

Thanks. Well, I emailed and asked. The worst they can do is say No. :yep:
Reply 1996
xanthian
Hi. I kinda want to know if I made the right decision, or if I was to late to make the request?

My application went to a college over the weekend, which turned out to be Grey College. I admit I submitted an open application, because I thought I didn't have much of a chance. My grades are good but my GCSEs were terrible. Grey College looked nice enough, but I'm a drama geek (Classics major) and I love the old feel of academia, so I emailed them asking if I could get forwarded to St. Mary's or St. John's.

John's seems to only take a few Classicists a year. I would contact Sheila Hall in St. John's and ask if they would be willing to consider you.
Reply 1997
Hey everyone,

I am currently holding an offer to read PPE at Cuth's. Some feedback about the course from current students would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
MyNameIsDave
That's just an unadulterated lie. If I believed in the reputation system, I'd want to give you negatives right now :biggrin:

Yes, I have lived there.

That's alright. It'll only be noob neg :tongue:

It has its problems, I know. Also it's a new town, everything all zones. I wouldn't chose to live there but there are far, far, far worse places believe me (far better ones to).

Atrixa
Lol, there is a huge population of charvers.

But they're everywhere these days. I live in a fairly respectable, semi-rural and with a reasonable middle class presence (I'd say that, all in all, it's quite mixed in a socio-economic sense) and they are really starting to flood the village. I thought it was bad thirteen years ago but it's just getting worse :frown:

I realise you both quoted me last week, but I never got roond to replying.

pmk
Hey everyone,

I am currently holding an offer to read PPE at Cuth's. Some feedback about the course from current students would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

I can give you info on the philosophy and politics department (and Cuths) but not PPE as a whole unfortunately. I'll be back later, PM me if I haven't returned.
Hey guys, wondering if you current students can help me out? I want to send a (surprise) present to my friend- wondering what address to send it to? She goes to Collingwood (first year)
Guessing its:
Name
Collingwood College
South Road
Durham
DH1 3LT
Or something like that?

Quick Reply

Latest