The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Well I already have friends, lol. I didn't really make any friends through college anyway - they're all either on my course, flatmates of friends on my course, and/or from lgbta. But I don't think any of my friends who are coming up to Durham with me particularly want to live out. I've applied to Chad's and Mary's, and I know they're a very different set-up to Stevo but in a way they'll be even worse. I just want to live like a normal adult. I'm dreading freshers week, too. It was bad enough the first time round.

I have difficulty walking so Butler's too far out for me. Chad's might even be a bit far from the science site, though I think I managed ok on the open day. I've been spoilt by living on campus this year :p:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I've just got an offer from St Cuthberts to study Geography but I can't actually get to Durham that easily from where I live so was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions.

1) Whats Durham like i.e the people, jobs available while studying and things to do?
2) Can you get involved with the sports and societies if you haven't done them before i.e are crap but want to meet people without everyone giving you hassle?
3) Whats better for meeting people- catered or self catered and which residence would you recommend in St Cuthberts?
4) If you decide you want to move from doing a BA to a BSC during the year are you allowed?
tommy.789
2) Can you get involved with the sports and societies if you haven't done them before i.e are crap but want to meet people without everyone giving you hassle?

There are college societies and societies for the whole university; the college ones are a lot more amateur and you can join a sport even if you haven't done it before. :biggrin: I think the uni societies are probably quite accepting too... can't imagine there's an Elitist Knitting Society or anything like that.
tommy.789
I've just got an offer from St Cuthberts to study Geography but I can't actually get to Durham that easily from where I live so was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions.

1) Whats Durham like i.e the people, jobs available while studying and things to do?
3) Whats better for meeting people- catered or self catered and which residence would you recommend in St Cuthberts?
4) If you decide you want to move from doing a BA to a BSC during the year are you allowed?

1) Well, I love Durham. It's a beautiful place, with loads of cool views (things like that never even crossed my mind before I came, you just notice them...). The night life is quite good for students, although not amazing. Depends what your kind of stuff is, but I rarely find the need to venture to Newcastle. Durham is cheaper, and it has Klute. (cheapo nightclub that some love and some hate). Not as sure about the job thing, as Ive been too lazy to look for one so far...but it cant be too bad. The people are awesome, there are a lot of private school, but that hasnt been a problem for me (state schooler). And the locals have been friendly since Ive been here.

3) Im in catered and I think its pretty good for meeting people, and always social to go down and talk with people. Part of me does with I was self-catered just for the independence, but its a good place to meet people, I guess. On the other hand, it does tie you down to meal times at specific times. Don't know much about Cuths though, sorry. Other than I love the bar.

4) Not so sure about this. I think it is possible to move subject, but I can't imagine it being too easy. And you'd have to do it fairly early on, although i think you can do it at the end of the first year (someone correct me on that if Im completely wrong...)
Reply 384
I think BA and BSc subjects tend to be fairly similar, and it's usually possible to transfer in first year. I know in Archaeology there's one module in first year where we will split up later in the year, but for now we're together in everything.

From my friend doing Geography:
"not too hard but you'd have to be able to explain your reasoning well. definately not unheard of but they don't want too many people doing it because they have to keep a balance"
"first year, the courses are exactly the same. they only become different next year"

so there ya go :smile:
Aula
I think BA and BSc subjects tend to be fairly similar, and it's usually possible to transfer in first year. I know in Archaeology there's one module in first year where we will split up later in the year, but for now we're together in everything.
Again, I'm not certain, and if someone wants to tell me I'm wrong, I'm fine with that.

Its possible to transfer only if you have taken a certain set of modules, or a concession is granted. Transferring between courses requires the Deputy Dean, and all involved departments to sign off on it. If you want to change modules, you can do so within the first 4 weeks easily enough, but then afterwards it takes some persuasion (some desperate depts will accept you unoffically after 8 weeks, possibly even the end of Michaelmas.)

Whoever asked, the only person who knows for certain is your admissions tutor. Email them.
Reply 386
HMK, try reading the original question before answering it please. If you had done that you would have seen that they just want to know how likely the possibility is of transferring between BA and BSc Geography. Funnily enough, both run by the same department, with the same modules in the first year. Therefore, most of what you wrote is null and void, and is just going to confuse tommy.
Aula
HMK, try reading the original question before answering it please. If you had done that you would have seen that they just want to know how likely the possibility is of transferring between BA and BSc Geography. Funnily enough, both run by the same department, with the same modules in the first year. Therefore, most of what you wrote is null and void, and is just going to confuse tommy.

I did, thank you very much. Get onto your real point, rather than just implying that our soon to be freshers are idiots who get easily confused.

(PS: There is no guarantee he will be able to switch, he needs to check as I said. Asides, by the time he gets here, the chances are he will be looking further than switching between Bsc and BA.)
Reply 388
I am going to apply to do Computer Science, can any current CS students (or anyone else) recommend a college to apply to?

Theres just so much to read through I'm being overwhelmed!
:smile:
Reply 389
Reading some of these posts, is it just me or do Aula and HMK not get on?
jobo3
Reading some of these posts, is it just me or do Aula and HMK not get on?

:laugh:
Thats a bit of a blunt question out of the blue...

I am fairly sure that my geography graduate friend once told me that the first year is the same for both courses and that you switch between with relative ease after year one. Its probably best that you check that information though
If I get in is it worth bringing a car or is parking hard to find?
tommy.789

Unless you have a good reason, cars are banned for freshers.
tommy.789

hard to find and ridiculously expensive, when you can walk across the whole city in 45 mins it really isn't worth bothering.
Reply 395
hi
I' ve got a few questions because I simply can't choose between st andrews durham bristol
I would like to know what are the students' opinions about them because I am from outside the Uk
what is the Molecular Biology and Biochemistry (with Industrial Placement) course like ?
what are the tutors, the teaching like?
what about people and free time?
and are there any exchange schemes with other universities
could I join a horse ridding club/ it is not a deciding factor but I want to take up a sport in my free time / maybe there are other disciplines worth trying
finally is it possible to work part time and would there be a vacancy for a groom possibly
thanks for help
Hey .. is it possible to watch Veoh using Durham university network ??
I used to be able to watch the Veoh TV, but I can't do it now. Has it been blocked ??
psycho
Hey .. is it possible to watch Veoh using Durham university network ??
I used to be able to watch the Veoh TV, but I can't do it now. Has it been blocked ??

I never seemed to be able to get it to work either. Try www.sidereel.com for some videos...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Cuths is the only college that has its own external accomodation thats like living out but with the college as your landlord. In Aidan's there are 3 freshers who live out.

...maybe 3+ years ago that was the case, but now Cuth's is just the same as any other college.
Reply 399
Hey! I've got an offer for Psychology, and was just wondering what the average week of a first year Psych student at Durham is like? As in lectures etc..?

Quick Reply

Latest