The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

.How flexible is Durham when it comes to offers?

Say offer is A*AA

And I get A*AB.

Also, any current Durham Econ graduates?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
so im in year 13 and want to apply to durham.
Got 5a* 5a at gcse
and 4Bs and a C at AS level however Bs all very high. (maths, economics, history, further maths, physics)
Im predicted 3As for A2.
Want to study economics which standard offer is A*AA.
Is it worth applying?
Original post by Aleeece123
The module cap is the maximum number of students they'll accept on the module, so only 120 people can take the module you're looking at. It doesn't really affect most people, but it does mean there is a (small) chance you won't be able to take your first choice of modules. It's only really an issue in specific modules, usually in 3rd year, eg maths teaching has a cap of 20 people, where there'll be a specific selection process

Makes sense. Thanks!
Are international applicants considered alongside home applicants at Durham? Or are international applicants considered in a separate stream?
Hi,
I am looking at unis atm and wondering what the Durham city night life is like, how trendy is and generally is the english literature course very traditional?
Hi,

The entry requirements for the Economics and French BA is A*AA. Is there any point in risking an application with AAA (Maths, Economics and French) at A2? Taking a gap year but considering resitting Maths to see if I can achieve an A*.

I think there are only 10 places on this course. Any idea about the number of applications and offers?

Any current Durham Economics with French students out there?? Have any students been accepted with less than A*AA??

Thanks everyone
Reply 5926
Original post by Bagger
Hi,

The entry requirements for the Economics and French BA is A*AA. Is there any point in risking an application with AAA (Maths, Economics and French) at A2? Taking a gap year but considering resitting Maths to see if I can achieve an A*.

I think there are only 10 places on this course. Any idea about the number of applications and offers?

Any current Durham Economics with French students out there?? Have any students been accepted with less than A*AA??

Thanks everyone

You have 5 options. Is it really that much of a risk?
Original post by fifihope69
Hi,
I am looking at unis atm and wondering what the Durham city night life is like, how trendy is and generally is the english literature course very traditional?

I'm a second year at Durham and 2 generations of my family have been through Mildert's dodgy architecture so I've been up plenty to experience the wonders of Durham.

The nightlife is what you make it. In terms of 'trendy', there are some nice cocktail bars and good restaurants, a lot of which are independent. Bars/Clubs like Jimmy Allens, Fabios, Fishtank, Head of Steam etc all have different vibes but all offer pretty decent (if not cramped) atmospheres. In terms of clubs we have Klute, Loveshack, Studio/Loft, Lloyds (although this is a Bishops Mill) Fishtank and all of Newcastle to explore for under a fiver on the train.

The nightlife isn't going to rival a major city but it's decent and I've never got bored.

In terms of English Literature, one of my housemates does it and she has a really wide range of modules in second year. In first year there are fewer and cover the basics (much like AS did in school) so you will have an Intro to Poetry, Intro to Drama and Intro to Novel modules and then a few others to choose from. From what I understand you can really pick and choose your strengths - I know she is doing a focus on language so she's doing a lot of Old English modules as well as several children's literature modules. So...not all shakespeare and chaucer!
(edited 9 years ago)
Is the en-suite accommodation option only for returning students or also for freshers?
Original post by sneakysquirrel
Is the en-suite accommodation option only for returning students or also for freshers?

Freshers can get ensuite rooms too, but it depends how many ensuite rooms your college has available, finalists will get priority and then whatever's left will be allocated randomly amongst freshers
Original post by emma2013
Freshers can get ensuite rooms too, but it depends how many ensuite rooms your college has available, finalists will get priority and then whatever's left will be allocated randomly amongst freshers

Great! Thanks! So we didn't have to write an extra note on the accommodation form specifying that we wanted en-suite in order to be part of the random allocation pool?
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anybody know how long it takes for non-priority remarking (OCR)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loggins
Yep I agree, this is what I put forward as a reason for all the trivial threads, laziness. One of the moderators suggested that we try this method out, it's worth a try.

I'll certainly do my best to keep track of this thread and answer any questions people may have (where I can).

Hello ! I arrvie to Durham this Saturday! Sept 13. I will go to private accommodation, I am starting a Master in Social Work. I have no clue in what room to choose between this 3 options, I know that there are in Viaduct and the other last 2 in Gilesgate.I want a nice area , centric and that I can walk to the center with no problem. I know Durham is small but I want to at least be in a popular, not so dull :wink: My options are

-4 Mistletoe Street

-3 North View Durham Dh1 2LE

-13 Malvern Villas, Durham, DH1 2JP.

What would be the best?

Thank you so much!
Original post by sneakysquirrel
Great! Thanks! So we didn't have to write an extra note on the accommodation form specifying that we wanted en-suite in order to be part of the random allocation pool?

I imagine it'd vary from college to college, but at mine there was just one form you filled out asking about your habits etc and it was all done randomly, unless you had to have an ensuite for medical reasons
Original post by emma2013
I imagine it'd vary from college to college, but at mine there was just one form you filled out asking about your habits etc and it was all done randomly, unless you had to have an ensuite for medical reasons

Thanks!
Original post by brunette555
Hello ! I arrvie to Durham this Saturday! Sept 13. I will go to private accommodation, I am starting a Master in Social Work. I have no clue in what room to choose between this 3 options, I know that there are in Viaduct and the other last 2 in Gilesgate.I want a nice area , centric and that I can walk to the center with no problem. I know Durham is small but I want to at least be in a popular, not so dull :wink: My options are

-4 Mistletoe Street

-3 North View Durham Dh1 2LE

-13 Malvern Villas, Durham, DH1 2JP.

What would be the best?

Thank you so much!

Mistletoe Street is a very popular location for students, so if you're there, then you're probably in the best location for what you want! The other two are not just in Gilesgate (which in itself isn't so bad) but towards the upper end, which would remove you from the centre of town/pretty much everything. Gilesgate also has a mixture of both students and locals living there, and is generally less popular. So I think Mistletoe Street would be your best bet on that front :smile:
Original post by clonedmemories
Mistletoe Street is a very popular location for students, so if you're there, then you're probably in the best location for what you want! The other two are not just in Gilesgate (which in itself isn't so bad) but towards the upper end, which would remove you from the centre of town/pretty much everything. Gilesgate also has a mixture of both students and locals living there, and is generally less popular. So I think Mistletoe Street would be your best bet on that front :smile:

Wow thank you sooo much!! I was going crazy there :smile: because I come from overseas and there was no way for me to see it first. Thank you a lot * and All the best to you ! :wink: :smile:
Original post by aldanyh
Has anyone taken the X1 service between Durham city and Queen's campus? Can you tell me whether it is typically crowded or not? Are the bus stops safe to wait in? And how long does the journey take?

Never between Durham to QC, but plenty of times between Newcastle to Durham, and I'd say it's rarely crowded despite it being single deck. Can get busy during peak ties, but not particularly crowded. During the day you will be very unlucky not to get a seat (half to two thirds full, if that).

It takes about 45 minutes at an estimate, maybe a little less (the x1/x2 runs Newcastle to Middlesbrough, which is about 2 hours with Durham halfway and Stockton about 20 minutes from Middlesbrough). If you check on www.traveline.info it will tell you, or arriva's website will give a bus timetable.

About as safe as any bus stop or shelter. Never had any issues at Durham bus station (despite the reputation of North Road as being a bit rowdy and locally) or the stops around the city. Stockton will be fine. I've only ever had one particularly bad experience at any of the region's bus shelters and that was he Metrocentre as a teenager.
I got three A's at A level with predicted A* this year, how competitive is the history/ ancient medieval and modern history?

Also, I want to go to Josephine Butler, but heard its quite far away from the history department and other facilities, could someone please tell me if this is true, and just in general what Josephine Butler is like? :smile:
Original post by Lauraalice.
I got three A's at A level with predicted A* this year, how competitive is the history/ ancient medieval and modern history?

Also, I want to go to Josephine Butler, but heard its quite far away from the history department and other facilities, could someone please tell me if this is true, and just in general what Josephine Butler is like? :smile:

Hi there! Most courses at Durham are oversubscribed, but AMMH is less competitive than straight history.

With Butler, you either love it or hate it. The bonuses are that all the rooms are ensuite, and as it is self-catering you dont have all the fuss about having to have meals at specific times, or feeling guilty about eating out when you've paid for college food, but that being said, being catered saves a lot of time. The downside is that Butler is the furthest away of the hill colleges, it's a good 20 minute walk away from Elvet, but the library is closer. there are also buses that run up the hill, so if your lectures are spread out and it's annoying to walk all the way up the hill and back you can get a day pass which would make life easier

Quick Reply

Latest