The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrsnerimon
Hey, can anyone give me a heads up on what Queen's Campus and the Stockton area is actually like? I've got an offer to study Primary Education at John Snow but I can't seem to find much information on what it's like living at Queens Campus. The impression I'm getting is that it's really rough and boring there and that you don't feel a part of Durham

It's better than people make out. But yeah, you don't really feel a part of durham. You can go to their societies and events, but it's an hour on the bus. We only go up there on nights out. But I don't think anyone here really minds, because we've got enough here anyway.
What specifically did you want to know about the area?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Where can I buy a Durham gown (St Chads) online?
Original post by game well and truly over

I'm not sure about Chad's, but at Butler, we were given ours when we arrived on the first day of Fresher's Week (and the cost added to our university invoices). I've heard the same thing from other colleges, unless Chad's works completely differently...

You buy your gown when you arrive at Chad's for Freshers week! I think mine was £50 new but second hand ones can be bought for about £20-25 :smile:
What is the policy regarding having guests (i.e. friends) coming to stay in the college (Butler) for a night or so? Are they allowed to stay in your room on the floor?! Thanks.
How are the stotties?
Original post by georgie_23
What is the policy regarding having guests (i.e. friends) coming to stay in the college (Butler) for a night or so? Are they allowed to stay in your room on the floor?! Thanks.

Yup, that's absolutely fine! Theoretically, you're supposed to sign them in at reception (for fire safety purposes), but in reality, that's a rule rather difficult to enforce and no one really tries to (bringing home drunk one-night-stands, for example). When I lived in last year, I had a couple of friends over in my room (both within and outside the university) and this year, now I'm living out, I've crashed at college a couple of times on people's floors.
Original post by clonedmemories
Yup, that's absolutely fine! Theoretically, you're supposed to sign them in at reception (for fire safety purposes), but in reality, that's a rule rather difficult to enforce and no one really tries to (bringing home drunk one-night-stands, for example). When I lived in last year, I had a couple of friends over in my room (both within and outside the university) and this year, now I'm living out, I've crashed at college a couple of times on people's floors.

thank you!
Hi ! I have just been allocated to John Snow in Queens, is there still a possibility that i can be allocated to Stephenson instead? or it's fixed and can never be changed?
Greetings from China! I already got an offer from Combined social science in the University college. And just wanna ask if it's convenient to live in a castle. If the castle is near the library and everything? And also how about this program? Really appreciate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are laundry facilities decent? Specifically at Chad's...
Anyone know what the laundry facilities are like and shower facilities at hild bede/
Original post by LouiseHuang
Greetings from China! I already got an offer from Combined social science in the University college. And just wanna ask if it's convenient to live in a castle. If the castle is near the library and everything? And also how about this program? Really appreciate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on the offer! As far as being at University College goes, the likelihood is that, as a first year, you won't be living in the Castle itself but on one of the Bailey houses, which are all nearby. The Castle itself will be where your meals/formals/events will be, but as far as general accommodation goes, the chances are you won't actually have your room and other facilities there.

It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the main library - nowhere in Durham is particularly far away, and depending on what subjects you're taking, you may even have some lectures on the science site as it is!
Are laundry facilities decent? Specifically at Chad's...

Original post by chem@uni
Anyone know what the laundry facilities are like and shower facilities at hild bede/

I'm not at either college but as far as I'm aware the laundry facilities are pretty standard across the university! Somewhere in college there will be a laundry room with washing machines and tumble driers. They're industrial standard so the washing machines take about 30-35 mins per wash in my experience (which is really fast) and the tumble driers are very large (so can take a couple of loads of washing) and take the same sort of amount of time. This is all useful as it means that there aren't really often queues to do laundry as it's quick to do! Some of the washing machines are pre loaded with washing powder which can be handy as you don't have to remember to buy it, but if you might be allergic/ want fabric conditioner or similar there are machines available in which you use your own products. I lived in 3 years ago now so it might have changed a little, but I believe most colleges work using a 'key fob' system, where you add money to a plastic key which then fits the washing machine/ dryer and makes it work, which is useful as you don't need to remember to keep small change!. Washes cost about £2.50 I think, tumble drying about 50p but also having a clothes airer you can put up in your room can be useful to for items you don't want to tumble dry. Lots of colleges provide irons/ ironing boards too. I don't know anyone that had any problems, I found it fine! Hopefully this helps!
^ Very helpful, thank you!
I received an offer from Durham to study Geography back in December. Since then I have been to visit it twice, and both times I have found it quite claustrophobic, primarily because the town is so small but also because the colleges are in the town itself, so to me it seems as though it would be difficult to escape the university 'working' atmosphere and to relax. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same, but then grew to love it as time went on? Thanks, and I'm sorry to bother!
Original post by SCatherine
I received an offer from Durham to study Geography back in December. Since then I have been to visit it twice, and both times I have found it quite claustrophobic, primarily because the town is so small but also because the colleges are in the town itself, so to me it seems as though it would be difficult to escape the university 'working' atmosphere and to relax. I was just wondering if anyone felt the same, but then grew to love it as time went on? Thanks, and I'm sorry to bother!

I didn't find it claustrophobic (then again I don't like large cities very much!) however I would suggest that it is easy to 'escape' the inevitable Durham bubble. As Durham is small and the majority of the population are students, there is sometimes a sense of not quite being part of the outside world, but you can get out if you want! Newcastle is under 15 minutes on the train and as a city has a real buzz to it, and lots of activities. If you like the outdoors there is the coast fairly close (accessible by train and bus), the stunningly beautiful Northumberland national park, and even the Penines are accessible even by bike. Surrounding Durham itself is also some nice countryside! York is less than an hour away and is a gorgeous city, and Edinburgh is also very accessible (just over an hour) - each of these trips would only cost ~£15 train. If you gave some more examples of what you like to do to relax I could probably be more detailed!

Also, although Durham is small and pretty academic, there are plenty of opportunities within the university and city. There is a cinema and theatre within the city and some nice parks/ short walks, but there are also hundreds of societies and sports teams available - really is something for everyone. As such I don't really know of anyone who feels too claustrophobic often, or at least has lots of opportunities available to relax and enjoy if they do need a break. :smile:
Original post by SCatherine

If you feel that way just visiting then you are unlikely to change that much when you have to live there everyday. It is a small place, there's no getting away from that.

I think demarcating relaxing and working space is more of a psychological thing though, and it will be the same at whichever uni you go to - things like sport, drama, society involvement, college involvement etc. are all there for that purpose and it's up to you to get involved so that you're uni life isn't all work and nothing else.
Original post by chem@uni
Are they any nice places to go for a long walk around the Durham area?

Yes :smile: The Botanic Gardens and woodland to the South/East of Durham is nice, as is the river bank. However there is also nice countryside in many few directions with some good footpaths/ cycle paths - the old railway lines to the West over to the hills are nice and you get some great views, and there are some nice walks near Penshaw monument. Brasside/ Belmont viaduct is also a nice place to walk to. All of these are accessible from the city itself. There's also a good bus network which means you can start further afield if you want to too!

If you like walking there's also the Northumbrian National Park, the North York Moors and Dales and the Pennines fairly close (would be suitable for a weekend). There is also an active hill walking society that offers walks close to Durham and further afield for which a small fee makes you a member, and you pay a bit towards any transport costs.
Original post by pianofluteftw
!

what would you say is the worst part of student life/general life at Durham University?

Quick Reply

Latest