Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Shaksi
If you want to visit Durham but it's not on a wed (where apparently they have tours) is it possible to 'tour yourself' if that makes sense? I mean if you have a map , is it really difficult to navigate around?

Durham's not exactly huge, so I should imagine that it would be relatively easy if you have one of those shiny maps with all of the university buildings on it. Most of the university's buildings are "clustered"; you've got the Bailey colleges and most of the arts' departments on the Bailey, and the science site and the hill colleges all in one general area too.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 781
*River
Durham's not exactly huge, so I should imagine that it would be relatively easy if you have one of those shiny maps with all of the university buildings on it. Most of the university's buildings are "clustered"; you've got the Bailey colleges and most of the arts' departments on the Bailey, and the science site and the hill colleges all in one general area too.

I see. Thanks.

And if we get lost...well whatever :biggrin:
Reply 782
Shaksi
I see. Thanks.

And if we get lost...well whatever :biggrin:

If you get lost, stop somebody in stash.
*River
If you get lost, stop somebody in stash.

Please dont encourage that, I got stopped by enough tourists without stash today. And it was raining...

If you cant find where you are, the best trick is to use the catherdral as a navigation point...
Reply 784
Stash?
Shaksi
Stash?

College/University/Society clothing. Typically implying/saying Durham Uni somewhere...
Reply 786
It's impossible to get lost in Durham, that's fact.

It's tiny and yeah, the big castle and cathedral make a good landmark to use when lost.

I'm available as a tour guide, possibly :smile:

I never got stopped by toursists :frown: In fact I've only been stopped by Gypsies. Oh and a guy who asked if I had a light.

I sent him on his way.
Reply 787
^ I see. I was hoping to visit Hild Bede and the city centre, but depends on what my friend wants to do.

Is the train station a trek from the city centre?

Thanks HMK :smile:
Shaksi
^ I see. I was hoping to visit Hild Bede and the city centre, but depends on what my friend wants to do.

The station is about 5 mins walk, I reckon. Hild Bede is about 10 mins walk I reckon from the station. Though it might be wise to phone the college in advance and see if they can give you a tour, most likely they should be able to.
Reply 789
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
The station is about 5 mins walk, I reckon. Hild Bede is about 10 mins walk I reckon from the station. Though it might be wise to phone the college in advance and see if they can give you a tour, most likely they should be able to.

Ahh I see. The website said 1.5 miles but I didnt know if it was hilly/flat therefore how long it'd take

Merci :smile:
Reply 790
Hopping Mad Kangaroo

Yes, I'd say ten minutes was about right. I can walk there in three minutes and then walk back in five minutes. I am a very fast walker, however.

It's largely downhill on the way there, so is quite easy. It's an uphill trek back up though.

Let's just say I don't miss my trecking ot the station at the end of each day. That was a pain/.
River85
Yes, I'd say ten minutes was about right. I can walk there in three minutes and then walk back in five minutes. I am a very fast walker, however.

It's largely downhill on the way there, so is quite easy. It's an uphill trek back up though.

Let's just say I don't miss my trecking ot the station at the end of each day. That was a pain/.

Yeah, I dont like the hike, and I do it very irregularly. Btw, are you coming to our meet tommorrow. You are more than welcome :smile:
Shaksi
Ahh I see. The website said 1.5 miles but I didnt know if it was hilly/flat therefore how long it'd take

Merci :smile:

Its only 1.5 miles if you are heading out to the Hill colleges, goodness knows who wrote that website...
Shaksi

Everyone's basically answered your question but just thought I'd add that I did this last year and it was fine. I turned up on the train with a prospectus and a map and just explored Durham. Was fun :smile: The hardest thing was knowing how to get out of the station, but as has been said it's very difficult to get lost.

If you want to be cheeky like me I went up to a guy outside the music department who looked like a muso (you can tell!) and asked him about the department and he kindly showed me round the faculty. Oh and I spent quite a while in the cathedral which was really lovely, definitely recommend that!
Reply 794
Be prepared for the train station though, it's a grotty little thing. Especially the underpass going to platform two (northbound). Not that you'll be using that platform at all though,

Away from the train station (and North Road) it's bootiful :smile:
Reply 795
OK :smile: ^

Bassoonery
Everyone's basically answered your question but just thought I'd add that I did this last year and it was fine. I turned up on the train with a prospectus and a map and just explored Durham. Was fun :smile: The hardest thing was knowing how to get out of the station, but as has been said it's very difficult to get lost.

If you want to be cheeky like me I went up to a guy outside the music department who looked like a muso (you can tell!) and asked him about the department and he kindly showed me round the faculty. Oh and I spent quite a while in the cathedral which was really lovely, definitely recommend that!

Ahh awesome! Did you find it to be useful? I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply to Durham (I kinda have my heart set on it :redface:) so hopefully I wont hate it when I get there. It better be worth it, haha, the tickets are gonna cost me £100 or so :rolleyes:

What did you do during the day? Did you just walk around? I guess my friend and I will just go see a couple of colleges (maybe arrange a tour in advance as someone suggested), have lunch and just explore the city.

Thanks
Reply 796
£100, do you have a railcard? It would only cost you a few quid if you wanted to take the MegaBus to Newcastle (from London). Take bloody hours though.
Reply 797
Yeah I do - it's either £65 for a single or £100 return :s-smilie:

Although my friend said she just found £60 return so maybe I'm just bad at the whole rail thing
Reply 798
I would have thought £60 for a return, even at this short notice. Nevermind. I'm almost as bad. Rail travel in this country is just far too confusing.

I know people who'd pay twice that to come to Durham! (I'm really selling it now :smile: )
Shaksi
Yeah I do - it's either £65 for a single or £100 return :s-smilie:

Although my friend said she just found £60 return so maybe I'm just bad at the whole rail thing

Are you going in less than 7 days then? Usually I get an advance single with railcard to London or Southampton from Durham for about £13...

Quick Reply

Latest