The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Another random questions- Will I need to buy microsoft word for work?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 981
NDGAARONDI
Will I be able to sort out my Zetoc access and library stuff during Freshers Fair? I like to be well prepared. :smile: Much appreciated!

I have no idea what Zetoc is I'm afraid. If it's some kind of database that requires a Durham username and password, then you'll get that during Freshers' Week when you get your campus card, which will also let you into the library (there's a swipe card system). From memory you could do this from registration day, which I think was Tuesday, until Wednesday. Freshers' Fair was on both of these days.

The queues for campus cards were horrendous during the day last year, but I went at 7:30 at night and there was no queue whatsoever, so I'd recommend going late (if you can wait a whole 6 extra hours for your Facebook access :rolleyes:) to avoid having to stand in a line for 3 hours or so.

tommy.789

You'll need some kind of word processing software for writing essays/lab reports if you don't want to have to use a university or college PC (such as Microsoft Works, which often comes free with laptops). If you're not planning on bringing your own printer then it'd have to be compatible with the university system.
tommy.789

Get Open Office if you can stand it. However Microsoft do this scheme called the Ultimate Steal, which means you can get Office 2007 really cheap, when it starts back up again.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Get Open Office if you can stand it. However Microsoft do this scheme called the Ultimate Steal, which means you can get Office 2007 really cheap, when it starts back up again.

I use Open Office and it suits me fine. You can open .docs and save your files as .docs and it's pretty damn similar to Word anyway, so using it instead won't really hurt.
generic hybrid
I use Open Office and it suits me fine. You can open .docs and save your files as .docs and it's pretty damn similar to Word anyway, so using it instead won't really hurt.

I have it on my EEE, but it really is not as good as MS 2007. The amount of tools you get with it makes it well worth the £40, and some of the stuff I need Open Office simply doesn't do (e.g the formulae feature doesn't work properly, and the automatic referencing isn't as easy to use). That said if you had a choice between the earlier MS offices and Open Office, I would go for the latter.
*River
I have no idea what Zetoc is I'm afraid. If it's some kind of database that requires a Durham username and password, then you'll get that during Freshers' Week when you get your campus card, which will also let you into the library (there's a swipe card system). From memory you could do this from registration day, which I think was Tuesday, until Wednesday. Freshers' Fair was on both of these days.

The queues for campus cards were horrendous during the day last year, but I went at 7:30 at night and there was no queue whatsoever, so I'd recommend going late (if you can wait a whole 6 extra hours for your Facebook access :rolleyes:) to avoid having to stand in a line for 3 hours or so.

Cheers for that. Yeah Zetoc is an online database of journals like the British Humanities Index and ASSIA etc.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
I have it on my EEE, but it really is not as good as MS 2007. The amount of tools you get with it makes it well worth the £40, and some of the stuff I need Open Office simply doesn't do (e.g the formulae feature doesn't work properly, and the automatic referencing isn't as easy to use). That said if you had a choice between the earlier MS offices and Open Office, I would go for the latter.

Ahh, I've never had the 2007 version. I suppose people who are buying new computers with Vista (urgh) would probably be getting it though.
generic hybrid
Ahh, I've never had the 2007 version. I suppose people who are buying new computers with Vista (urgh) would probably be getting it though.

The 2007 version is really nice, but then I do like Vista as well. That said, today my EEE returned and now has a copy of Ubuntu on it along with Open Office. (though it might change to XP so I can play Oblivion and some other games on it)
Reply 988
Zotero is a ****ing pimp way of managing journal articles.
Reply 989
deathlyhallow
Is there a HSBC or Citibank in Durham? And what bank do most people use in general?

YEs, there is an HSBC. It's opposite the DSU. Most people, I would wager, use Natwest though.
I know a fair amount of people who use Halifax too.
Does anyone know of any societies that produce their own newspapers and the such? Just interested in taking part if any society I'm interested in does this. :smile:
I think the law society produce one called Inter Allia but im not sure, someone would need to verify that

Tony
Cheers.
Reply 994
NDGAARONDI
Does anyone know of any societies that produce their own newspapers and the such? Just interested in taking part if any society I'm interested in does this. :smile:

Erm, not really an societies that I'm aware of.

There is Palatinate, the university newspaper

http://www.palatinate.org.uk/

Durham21 (the online newspaper and four or five times NUS website of the year :biggrin: )

http://durham21.co.uk/people.asp

Plus another I think (except I'm having a big mind blank).
Reply 995
I would imagine a few of the socieities would produce their own newspapers/newsletters.

*sighs* I'm too out of touch...
River85
I would imagine a few of the socieities would produce their own newspapers/newsletters.

*sighs* I'm too out of touch...

Just looking to see if there is a way to discuss any of the latest developments in my field of study and put into practice in something fun. I'll have to see if any of the societies I'm interested in do these at the Freshers' Fair.
Reply 997
****ing keenos.
Am I being really thick when I ask if Durham interview their English applicants?? xx
Reply 999
Nope, they interview for random things! They interview for Theology but I don't think for many other arts...so I don't think they interview for English...someone might correct me though!

Quick Reply

Latest