The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Aula
Completely depends on the type of person you are, and how much time you have.

IMO there's too many societies, and not enough time :frown:

Imagine being a science student...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1181
but societies don't do things during lecture time. I mean during time in the evenings. And everything seems to be at the same time :frown:
Friday evening are annoying, 'cause I want to go to the Union Society debates, and Durham Voices (choir). It's that sort of thing that I mean.

Mind you, I'm on the exec for two societies next year, and am going to be involved in a few more too, so it's probably quite a good thing that I'm an social sciences student...
I agree that there probably should be more stuff going off in the day, but there is normally stuff Wednesday afternoons. Why dont you use your exec positions to do something about it.

Next term I am literally going to see how many societies I can be physically involved in, and do it. Hopefully the several things I have in mind (including DUS) will all fit...
Reply 1183
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
I agree that there probably should be more stuff going off in the day, but there is normally stuff Wednesday afternoons. Why don't you use your exec positions to do something about it.

Wednesday afternoons tend to be more sporty things. I might join BALADS again though, and try and actually go this time... And evenings are better anyway, 'cause otherwise we'd have science students complaining... :p:

I'm not sure I'll have a spare moment to myself in first term... (and I'm intending to head over to Newcastle more next term too, but that'll hopefully come with one of the societies that I'm going to be involved with. The Newcastle and Durham arch soc want to do plenty of stuff together, which since Newcastle arch soc are sponsored by a bar in Newcastle... and I have a lot of friends on the exec for that, so should be good :biggrin:)

Next term I am literally going to see how many societies I can be physically involved in, and do it. Hopefully the several things I have in mind (including DUS) will all fit...

Hah, good luck with that. Which ones are you planning to do?
I think I may end up doing that without trying... :s-smilie:
Aula
Wednesday afternoons tend to be more sporty things. I might join BALADS again though, and try and actually go this time... And evenings are better anyway, 'cause otherwise we'd have science students complaining... :p:

Sorry if I sound a bit of an ignoranous, but whats BALADS? Is it some kind of Dance society?

If you rotated your socials across the days and kept them near the science site, then most scientists would not complain too much. They could actually end up being more successful than evening ones, if you are lucky.

My timetable is reduced this year thankfully, so I might be able to do some day societies if I go back to my work avoiding habits...

I'm not sure I'll have a spare moment to myself in first term... (and I'm intending to head over to Newcastle more next term too, but that'll hopefully come with one of the societies that I'm going to be involved with. The Newcastle and Durham arch soc want to do plenty of stuff together, which since Newcastle arch soc are sponsored by a bar in Newcastle... and I have a lot of friends on the exec for that, so should be good :biggrin:)

Sounds like a lot of fun :smile: Newcastle has loads of places to go and do stuff in.

Hah, good luck with that. Which ones are you planning to do?
I think I may end up doing that without trying... :s-smilie:

So far I have DUS down (I intend to do Monday nights properly and go to more events), Labour Soc, College Rowing and a Martial art (I am pretty unfit atm), maybe something with SCA too. Then I am going to add on another society or two at the Freshers Fair, maybe more depending what I can fit together.
Reply 1185
Labour Soc meaning DULC? (as in political one) or is this something different?

BALADS = Ballroom and Latin American Dance Society.
Aula
Labour Soc meaning DULC? (as in political one) or is this something different?

BALADS = Ballroom and Latin American Dance Society.

Yup, though I would like to get involved politically as well.
Reply 1187
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Yup, though I would like to get involved politically as well.

yup to which...?
Aula
yup to which...?

DULC.
In my freshers pack i've just found a charge for sports of over £100. Is it worth me paying this as any sports that I take are only likely to be college level? Will I have to pay this extortionate fee for these or do i only need the sport card to play at uni level?
Also could someone clarify what i'm supposed to do on the online enrolment system? At the moment the only bit that I can fill out are the enrolment pages but not the verification and module registration pages? Am I supposed to do these or can they only be done when I get to the uni?
Reply 1191
The verification and module registration is for when you get there. For the module registration you get a form (I think from the college) that you have to fill in to say what you want to do. I think the verification is sorted when you collect your campus card and show them either driver's license or passport to prove who you are. WRT the sports card, check http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14143692&postcount=37, which explains some of the stuff the sports fee goes towards and some of the reasons you need the card (eg. if you use either college or uni gym and injure yourself, the uni has insurance covering anyone with a sports card).
Reply 1192
Regarding suits for matriculation etc, can I get away with pinstripes? I have 2 pinstripe suits, but I'm guessing a plain black/dark grey/navy blue would be best.

Obviously dinner suit, if I get one, will be black :wink:
Reply 1193
Matriculation any kind of suit should be fine :smile:
Aula
Matriculation any kind of suit should be fine :smile:

Careful though, Castle might have some old rule that goes along with it.
Tell me, how do traffic light parties work?
Blunderbuss
I did have a quick look, but apologies if this has been asked before.

Do we get specific accommodation details (shared or single, room number etc.) before we go to Durham, or do we find out on arrival? At Castle, especially.

Cheers.

Most colleges write to you and tell you. The best person to ask would be your JCR president however.
Reply 1197
Blunderbuss

Do we get specific accommodation details (shared or single, room number etc.) before we go to Durham, or do we find out on arrival? At Castle, especially.

John's doesn't tell you...you only find out when you turn up in your room and see two beds that you're sharing!
Not sure about others though, sorry!
elphiej
John's doesn't tell you...you only find out when you turn up in your room and see two beds that you're sharing!
Not sure about others though, sorry!

hello :biggrin:
:hugs:
Which colleges offer self-catered accomodation? Personally, I really don't like the idea of catered accommodation but still want to apply to Durham, however I am aware that a lot of it tends to be catered.

(Sorry for being a total noob btw, but the Durham Uni website isn't all that helpful)

Quick Reply

Latest