The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
There are some stuck up students, though I've never heard people insult Mildert for that reason. You can't stereotype Mildert students as being from comprehensive schools. I know a lot of people (including myself) who were private schooled.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 121
Hmmm, well I know a few people from private schools at Mildert, though admittedly not many compared to comprehensives, but I fail to see why more people being from comprehensive schools would make Mildert any worse? People should never be judged by what school they went to. And I don't recall any vast amount of "Mildert only" events last year, in fact I don't really recall any besides the usual things, so that can't be an issue any more.

Anyway, to the person considering leaving Mildert before they've even arrived: Mildert is amazing, give it a chance and you'll love it. I don't know anyone who didn't love their first year. If you go in with a closed mind, you can't expect to enjoy it. Just meet people, and try to have fun and keep busy, and if after a couple of weeks you don't like it, then move. You're probably just nervously hoping it's going to be okay, and because you were sent to Mildert you're having doubts, but hardly anyone doesn't end up loving the college they were put in if they didn't get in to their original choice.
arkbar
Yeah, but dobbs you can't deny the unavoidable fact that Grey bar is crap and smells funny :p:

I had a great ale there in June 2006 though. I base my views of college bars on whether I enjoy their selections of what I like or not.
Reply 123
In my first year, both the Hatfield and Collingwood ( I think) freshers handbooks made references to Mildert being 'the comp on the swamp' because of the relatively high number of comprehensive school students as compared to other colleges.
Edit #2:Tho if anyone can prove me wrong, I'll gladly change my tune.

Mildert is mint sauce though.

Edit: Me too, when I went there the ale was crap :wink:
Reply 124
A quick question.

I've had some minor troubles with online radio before due to ports and proxy settings randomly messing up (at home), or I wouldn't be asking this, but I'm assuming that online radio stations do work on the Durham connection, and aren't blocked by the evil firewall? :smile:
Reply 125
I had a bit of trouble listening to radio online, I assumed it was because I'm a Mac user though, as some of the PC users on my corridor had no problems at all listening to radio. If you're like me and can't function without radio, then I'd recommend you bring your own radio if you can, just in case the online radio doesn't work for you. I could never get online radio, but I never contacted the university IT department to find out why, so it's possible that there are ways of getting by the proxies etc...
Reply 126
I'm going to bring my radio too then, just in case. Thanks for the info. :smile:
Reply 127
No worries :smile:. If you haven't already got one, a DAB radio might also be a good idea. The signal around colleges can be a bit poor at times, considering that there are lots of buildings clustered around etc, and as far as I know this doesn't affect DAB so much.
loggins
There are some stuck up students, though I've never heard people insult Mildert for that reason. You can't stereotype Mildert students as being from comprehensive schools. I know a lot of people (including myself) who were private schooled.

Also, I found that after the first couple of weeks, the whole comp school/private school thing tends to go out of the window anyway
Reply 129
You can definately stream radio on the Durham network, I did it in first year, but I seem to remember there was a lot of fiddling about with proxy settings and stuff. I'll have a look for you and see if I can remember how I did it :smile:
Reply 130
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that one up Fields!
Reply 131
It's a DAB radio, though it does buzz quite a lot. :frown: And thanks fields! :smile:

Another question, I've given up any hope of online gaming at Durham, but I'm wondering If any of the coffee shops around would allow Steam to work so I can activate the single player games Portal/Ep2 that are released mid October? :smile: And how secure are said connections? I could always get the bus home - but it would cost £5. :/

Or would there be any chance of steam not being blocked for a day or so ala a few years past when HL2 was released? :smile:
Reply 132
Have a look here, that should sort you out. That's for Mac, but presumably it's roughly the same for WMP/Real on Windows :smile:
Reply 133
My friends in Grey played Counter Strike and World of Warcraft with each other via the university LAN, I'm not sure if this is the same as online gaming :redface:.
Reply 134
Fields
Have a look here, that should sort you out. That's for Mac, but presumably it's roughly the same for WMP/Real on Windows :smile:

Awesome. Thanks mate. :smile:
Reply 135
Jonnyh
It's a DAB radio, though it does buzz quite a lot. :frown: And thanks fields! :smile:

Another question, I've given up any hope of online gaming at Durham, but I'm wondering If any of the coffee shops around would allow Steam to work so I can activate the single player games Portal/Ep2 that are released mid October? :smile: And how secure are said connections? I could always get the bus home - but it would cost £5. :/

Or would there be any chance of steam not being blocked for a day or so ala a few years past when HL2 was released? :smile:

If I recall correctly, as long as you've already got Steam installed and sorted out on your computer, you shouldn't have a problem connecting to it. It's the initial connection/download of it that was blocked (was SO annoying in First Year when I bought HL2 to find out that I couldn't install it, until some random Collingwood geeks posted on their message board how to get around it, hehe). Anyway yeah once Steam is installed you can use it to your hearts content I THINK - if I'm wrong, I apologise! :redface:

However you can't use it for online gaming, just for the whole playing single player games, downloading updates, etc.
arkbar
In my first year, both the Hatfield and Collingwood ( I think) freshers handbooks made references to Mildert being 'the comp on the swamp' because of the relatively high number of comprehensive school students as compared to other colleges.

In my first year(aka 2004) the Hatfield freshers handbook if I can remember referred to your college as "the People's Republic of Van Mildert". I personally saw this as a compliment rather than an insult! Perhaps I am Wolfie Smith.
Reply 137
Questions about the University Orchestra (the auditioned one)
1. Does it have a website? (Googled, but couldn't find it)
2. Does anyone know what is the procedure for auditions? Is there a set piece? Do you have to do aural/sight reading/scales
3. If nobody knows, who could I email?

Thanks
Reply 138
Here you go, I'm not sure what their procedures are for auditions, but there's an email address on there which you can use to get in touch and ask as many questions as you like! :smile:!

http://www.dsu.org.uk/societies/find/235/

http://www.dur.ac.uk/orchestral.society/ (WEBSITE)
dobbs
Also you say your friends are at Hatfield/HB, so what? Durham is a small place and you'll be able to see them plenty, Uni is about meeting new friends and all that - everyone I know who have friends at Durham are all happy they are in different colleges so that they don't have to see them constantly and can make new friends, whilst also going to visit their old friends now and then! It's not like you'll never get to see them, you could easily see them every single day if you felt like it (meeting up for lunch, etc.)

Actually, Durham got ranked lower by me when I was looking at unis because I knew quite a few people there or possibly going to apply there too.
I soon realised I might see them around, and maybe more at church if I go to the same one, but I'm going to make so many friends(hopefully) that I'll be chilling with them than wanting to traipse up the hill to see them every moment.

On Van Mildert: The (current) Cuth's song is about Van Mildert so perhaps their our rival college I don't know, I think all it says is glad I didnt go there.
When I found out it had a pond/ducks, I was excited about going there as I was about Castle when I found out it was a castle.
It seems like a really great college and really friendly like they all want to be parents for freshers. The events the CU put on sound so excited I'm surprised I didn't want to go to Durham earlier: Neighbours Quiz Night, Bar Crawls, loads of fun party stuff basically.

In another thread there was talk about LAN games. Apparently you can play locally in your college halls (or building depending) but it's blocked when the cable goes outside. So no having a team in one college against people playing in another college.

Quick Reply

Latest