The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Thanks for all the responses! I can't visit Durham so I didn't realise the walk was that short, thats great.

So say there is no space in Castle.. I guess I would then be pooled to another college. Would I be stuck with that college or perhaps able to choose one I would prefer more?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Shrub
Thanks for all the responses! I can't visit Durham so I didn't realise the walk was that short, thats great.

So say there is no space in Castle.. I guess I would then be pooled to another college. Would I be stuck with that college or perhaps able to choose one I would prefer more?

There are no guarantees, but if another college has spaces and you phone up, they may let you switch provided you have a good reason. If you are bothered about being on the Bailey, for example, it might be wiser to pick a different college.
I've been looking at the timetable checker online, and I put in a combination which they say won't clash (i.e. when I select each module, the modules are not in red to indicate a timetable clash), but when I click to get my timetable for the michaelmas term, there are clashes. If I were to take this set of modules, what would I do if, say, practicals for one module and lectures for another clashed.

The combo I entered came up with this timetable for michaelmas;

http://www.maths.dur.ac.uk/~dma0ssb/tt/uni_tt.php?week=michaelmas&subj1=ANTH&course1=1031&subj2=ANTH&course2=1041&subj3=ANTH&course3=1061&subj4=ANTH&course4=1071&subj5=MATH&course5=1561&subj6=MATH&course6=1571
ging.ninj.
I've been looking at the timetable checker online, and I put in a combination which they say won't clash (i.e. when I select each module, the modules are not in red to indicate a timetable clash), but when I click to get my timetable for the michaelmas term, there are clashes. If I were to take this set of modules, what would I do if, say, practicals for one module and lectures for another clashed.

The combo I entered came up with this timetable for michaelmas;

http://www.maths.dur.ac.uk/~dma0ssb/tt/uni_tt.php?week=michaelmas&subj1=ANTH&course1=1031&subj2=ANTH&course2=1041&subj3=ANTH&course3=1061&subj4=ANTH&course4=1071&subj5=MATH&course5=1561&subj6=MATH&course6=1571

I think it's just the potential tutorials that are clashing. You should be able to pick the times that won't clash when you register. :smile:
Reply 1384
There are yellow clashes in your timetable, which is what's showing up in the other one. It should be fine, 'cause there are tutorials clashing, but you should be able to go to tutorials that don't clash.

I'm not sure what I've just said made much sense, so if you don't understand ask and I'll try and explain again...
edit: gh said it much more clearly... :frown: *sigh* ah well
generic hybrid
I think it's just the potential tutorials that are clashing. You should be able to pick the times that won't clash when you register. :smile:

OK thanks. Its just because I was looking at my timetable as given by the https://timetable.dur.ac.uk/ site, and (as well as being a really annoying site in the way it displays timetables) it showed clashes between things like practicals and lectures, and it would be a bummer if I had to miss a whole run of lectures because I had to go to practicals!
Aula
There are yellow clashes in your timetable, which is what's showing up in the other one. It should be fine, 'cause there are tutorials clashing, but you should be able to go to tutorials that don't clash.

I'm not sure what I've just said made much sense, so if you don't understand ask and I'll try and explain again...
edit: gh said it much more clearly... :frown: *sigh* ah well

It was understandable :smile: thanks for replying!
another question......does the college accommodation fee include contents insurance?
ging.ninj.
another question......does the college accommodation fee include contents insurance?

Pretty sure you have to get that yourself if you want it, unless it varies between colleges.
generic hybrid
Pretty sure you have to get that yourself if you want it, unless it varies between colleges.

darn it. I was hoping they were one of the unis that do. oh well.
Reply 1390
Durham? Value for money?

*manic laugh*
*River
Durham? Value for money?

*manic laugh*

:frown:
Reply 1392
*River
Durham? Value for money?

*manic laugh*

:ditto:
:frown:
*River
Durham? Value for money?

*manic laugh*

Well somethings not directly ran by the uni are good value, mainly booze and societies.
does anyone know what days and where the uni american football team train/play

cheers
Vesta

Urgh. Why did they up their offer for Pol to AAA? :mad:

The standard offers in the prospectus really don't mean a lot in reality I found. My offer was much lower than the so-called average, my friend's was more awkward, and friends who would easily have got the standard offer got rejected. So don't read too much into them.
arkbar
Is it an offshoot of the Sociology Dept? *readies jokes*

Yeah, well SASS. I'm sure reading about Durkheim will get me excited in the morning. Glad the syllabus has moved away from sociology compared to last year though.
Reply 1397
does anyone else have any problems logging on to the duo? i swear my password is correct but they keep insisting its wrong and i cant reset it cause i dont have a sercurity question yet.. =P
ginque
does anyone else have any problems logging on to the duo? i swear my password is correct but they keep insisting its wrong and i cant reset it cause i dont have a sercurity question yet.. =P

Duo is broke atm I think, wait a couple of days and try again.
Nice to know that everything is as they should be.

Quick Reply

Latest