The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

generic hybrid
I don't have a membership but I've been told it's one of the best college gyms. Seems to have a lot of equipment. Membership is about £30 which is pretty steep, but if you use it a lot I reckon it would be worth it.

£30 elsewhere would be just membership, you would have to pay a monthly subscription on top. Gyms normally cost between £200 and £300 a year to join.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
*River
Savers (which is also in the Gates shopping complex) is good for toiletries (generally cheaper than Boots/Superdrug or Tesco Express). Poundland does to some toiletries but their selection is always changing and can be a bit rubbish.

Thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 1582
Is this rule still enforced?
:laugh:

I think that was a prank by Mildert Web Committee done yonks ago. Unless you have an ensuite, I would encourage you to obey the rule...
Are any Mary's people willing to post a photo of what the average single room looks like? I'm not some crazy stalker just want to have an idea of space etc!

Also are most freshers put in the newer block if you've been given a single?
Reply 1585
durhamgirl1990
Are any Mary's people willing to post a photo of what the average single room looks like? I'm not some crazy stalker just want to have an idea of space etc!

Also are most freshers put in the newer block if you've been given a single?

:ditto: I've been wondering about asking for a photo of a room for a while, but I don't know if there are many/any current Mary's students around...

Looking forward to seeing you there durhamgirl... I assume you're a fresher this year?
Nope I'm deferred for next year but with everyone going away I thought now'd be a good time to ask! :tongue:
RE: Pound shops: You just have the one in The Gates, also there is the Yorkshire Trading Company which can be cheap for household things. We also call Iceland the pound shop for food (most items/meals £1, £1.50, or £2, no penny change).

To get to Dragonville Industrial Estate (for Matalan, Home Bargins, Brantano, TK Max, Aldi, and enormous Tescos): it takes about 30minutes from the city centre or Parson's Field. I would recommend following National Cycle Network 14 along the river (from Parsons Field go down to the river to Cuth's boat house, over Baths foot Bridge, then turn right) rather than through Gilesgate which looks a bit rough. It's a nice walk that way, and took me 45-55minutes coming back with a week's Tesco shop.
Today I went from Tesco, home to the Viaduct (further) in 45minutes with shopping. You build the muscles!

Tescos is North-East (top right on the map) of the city centre, and is marked by a red diamond on this map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.7735&lon=-1.5564&zoom=14&layers=00B0FTF&mlat=54.77841&mlon=-1.54262
That highlights the number 14 national cycle route (20 local) that I would take, but you can click the plus button on the right for other map options.
Reply 1588
What's the general consensus on Grey?
Vesta

I visited today and really really liked Grey - over Hild Bede (which was meant to be my first choice!) and Chad's.

What's it like from a studenty point of view? Ta! :biggrin:

I would prefer Hild Bede myself, but maybe its because I actually know people there properly...
Grey has a great view of the cathedral, although the buildings are side on so your very unlikely to get a good view. They had a good oil drum BBQ on the grass in the middle for most of the last term, and it seemed you could just use that when you fancied a party with your mates.

My opinion is based on cutting through Grey from the Science Site to get nearer to Butler (avoids the polluted main road and skims the corner). I am yet to see the bar, I think it often has college only nights and once that wrecked a bar crawl I planned.
Reply 1591
Oh ok. Cool. Thanks!
Reply 1592
Grey bar smells funny and has wildly varying quality of real ale.
That is my opinion of grey.
I don't know if this has been asked and/or answered but i'm not interested in reading 1610 messages to find out. So anyways, my question is Is the School of Economics near the Castle? I want to study Economics but I don't wanna live too far. So far, I've only liked the Castle but if its too far then maybe I should open my mind to the other colleges. Also, if its not too much to ask, can someone post a picture of their rooms. I haven't seen Durham accomodations and i'm just really curious how big it is and stuff.

Sorry for the questions, I just really want to know more about durham.
Reply 1594
As you can see from this map...

The School of Economics and Finance (Number 39) isn't that far from Castle (Number 23). That said, Durham is fairly small, as a city, so pretty much every department is accesible from every college, so don't let distance hinder your decision too much. I'll be walking from St. Mary's (10) to the Modern Languages Department (25), which is a fair distance on that map, but still won't take me an enormous amount of time.
Reply 1595
The Economics department is on Old Elvet, so no, Castle's not far at all.
Reply 1596
Vesta

Im going to Grey this year!! So...., well, im probably the last person you want to ask because I havent actually lived there yet and Im pretty biased, but I id visit and I thought it was AWESOME then so Im going to have to wait and see if first impressions are true!
Reply 1597
I can paint a picture in words Sophie... haha.

Castle has various different accomodations: majority single rooms and almost no ensuites. Most single rooms are typical student rooms with the bed, desk, wardrobe layout of a box-room (think typical student room). Most of these are found in Moatside.
One of my friends was sharing in Owengate and her room was huuuuge, plenty of room for two beds, desks, wardrobes, massive windows. Very pretty.
Another one of my friends was sharing in the Keep and her room was pretty massive and was in the castle which is rather lovely.

Basically if you're sharing you get the prettier, bigger rooms. If you're not you get your personal space (yay!) and tend to live with the majority of students (excepting the single rooms in Owengate/Keep which tend to be 3rd years...)

Having said that I've only seen about four rooms in castle so I'm no expert. I may post a piccy of my room up next week after I've moved in.
Reply 1598
Mmm, Moatside...
deathlyhallow
Um so my college hasn't responded to me about linen so I'm not sure if they have a pack for me or not. Anyway, in a worst case scenario, where's the closest place to Trevs to buy emergency bed linen/pillows?

Woolies in Town. Failing that Argos.

Quick Reply

Latest