The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zygroth
I'll assume you're completely ignorant and haven't even seen the English Language mark scheme...

I have actually seen the mark scheme, but don't you find it quite ludicrous that some can drop 12 marks. Obviously the examiners are not following the mark scheme.
Reply 21
I AM DEVESTATED!

I sent off for my PE theory paper to be remarked as I was 4 marks off an A*.

Got my results back today:

ORIGINAL MARK NEW MARK ORIGINAL GRADE NEW GRADE
118.....................102...............A..........................B

Can't believe it. My school rung up the exam board (OCR) and it turned out that there had been a mistake in the clerical aspect in that they'd doubled up one of the pages of marks, in effect originally giving me 20 marks instead of 10. This was obviously changed on the remark together with another 6 marks lost from somewhere?

It's cost me £55 for my grade to go down! Gutted.
well ive just found out that the whole my high schools art has to be remarked because the examiner hated the school down grading them by 2 grades

i got a C which i refuse to believe the amout of work i did :mad:

no one got above that

i was wondering how long does it take to get the remarks back

a different examiner went in yesterday to remark :biggrin:

how long will it take to get the results
Reply 23
theaceman
I AM DEVESTATED!

Can't believe it. My school rung up the exam board (OCR) and it turned out that there had been a mistake in the clerical aspect in that they'd doubled up one of the pages of marks, in effect originally giving me 20 marks instead of 10. This was obviously changed on the remark together with another 6 marks lost from somewhere?

Unlucky! :frown:
theaceman
I AM DEVESTATED!

OMG that really sucks :frown:. I feel really sorry for you :frown:.
Damn, that seriously sucks. Can't you appeal or something? I feel so upset for you. :frown:

I hope to God I don't experience the same situation with English Lit and Double Science eek!
Reply 26
Mine haven't come back yet (:sad:) but I've sent off 2 - English Language (3 marks off A*) and Geography (2 marks off A*). My school is also remarking most people's English Literature Shakespeare papers, so hopefully mine will go up too.

Theaceman: Damn :frown: That's awful for you ;console;
Reply 27
It's ridiculous how things like that can happen. I'm so scared something like that happened with my English Lit paper, and I've sent that for a remark! I was 1 UMS (a third of a mark!) off an A* which means I got about 95% in the exam. I never really believed it but being the risk taker that I am I've sent it for a remark hoping that I will go up a mark and a grade instead of dropping 20 or so UMS marks to a B grade.

I was about 15 marks off the next grade boundary in GCSE Drama, but that meant I got 35/80 in the exam. And I've sent it for a remark. I hope they made a mistake here. I really think they did because that means I got around 17 or 18 on each essay which I don't believe is possible!

Anyway fingers crossed for everyone. Well done to those whose marks went up and hard luck to those whose grade didn't changed or lost marks.. especially after an exam board mistake. That really sucks. :frown:
Reply 28
Good luck with your remarks. One of my friend got his double science paper remarked and it went to AA. Up 8 marks-huge amount for one of least subjective GCSEs...
Damn that's quite a jump! I only need 6 to A*A* so I hope I get the same luck as him! I'm well nervous though. I think we may be hearing from our new remark results some time this week...
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 31
I'm terrified that I'm going to be marked down a grade now. :redface:
We were only told we could remark if we were 1 or 2 marks off the boundary, as moer than that it's unlikely you'll go up, so there's no way I'm gonna go down. What I'm worried about now is that the thing with all the results is on the net (y'know the thing that says how many got A*s etc in each subject) and I haven't heard anything...I'm thinking mabe it's come back but not gone up...
Reply 33
purple-girl
We were only told we could remark if we were 1 or 2 marks off the boundary, as moer than that it's unlikely you'll go up, so there's no way I'm gonna go down. What I'm worried about now is that the thing with all the results is on the net (y'know the thing that says how many got A*s etc in each subject) and I haven't heard anything...I'm thinking mabe it's come back but not gone up...

What? :confused:
Well, there's a table which lists every subject and how many people got each grade. I'm worried as I doubt they'd put that up if there were still results pending, ie from remarks.
Hmmm...wouldn't they post that up on results day anyway?
There should be a date beside the .pdf file if someone checks.

My friend got his (Edexcel) Maths remark back and he gained 1 mark which got him the A* in the end. Quite surprised since with maths, it's either right or wrong, but I guess there's method marks to gain if already not done so. The guy moved schools like me so I hope to hear from my school real soon because the wait is making me more paranoid.

My parents have had a serious go at me for putting myself through all this anxiety all over again. Instead of recognising how very high my A's are, they've made me worried that it's going to move down to a B...or C, which could potentially happen with English Lit since there's 20 mark intervals between each grade and I was only 3 off an A*. I highly doubt I'll lose 73 marks in Double Science for it to move down to a BB...surely that can't happen?

Argh, the tension is killing me. Why can't I just be happy with my results? I know they're good but I just don't feel satisfied that it'll be enough to be considered a decent applicant for medicine. I know that there's other aspects more importantly involved but top unis and medicine being the competitive course that it is would like me more had I achieved more A*s. It feels as if A's aren't as respected anymore.
Reply 36
There really is no difference between A and A*. People don't care whether you get one or the other for GCSE - it's A level.
theaceman
There really is no difference between A and A*. People don't care whether you get one or the other for GCSE - it's A level.

Unless you apply for Oxbridge, or to a competitive course such a medicine, then, unfortunately they do care :biggrin:

Lets face it, if you get straight As, you probably won't stand a chance in the world at getting into Oxford for Medicine, whereas with straight A*s you would :wink:
You nailed it there.

I just hope Oxbridge takes those candidates so that less Oxbridge 'rejects' don't end up going to UCL when they put it like 4th (when I'll put it 1st).
I'm most worried about not getting the A* in bio...I mean, I know I was perfectly capable of getting it, just that the paper was really horrible, and didn't suit me at all! And seeing as I'm thinking of going for, yes, a degree including bio at least, then it's obviously one of the more important GCSEs. And it turns out that only 6 out of 33 that did seperate sciences at my school got an A, the others were A*. D'you think an A in a significant subject will make a difference...seeing that almost 20% of the results nationwide were A* and the boundary was relatively low? I know it will really depend on my A-Level grade...I hope to get an A in that, preferably a high one (please give us a nice exam to compensate for the horrible GCSE!! Actually, there's resits :wink:). But I'm scared that I'm not even gonna get an A...argh! I know it's a while off, but the doubts are still there...

Latest