The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

cell plan suggestion for international student

Hi,

I haven't been following the cell phone deals in Scotland/U.K. but I would be grateful for a comment which network is the best in Edinburgh (also price wise). I guess I won't phone too much, mostly I just want to be reachable. In my home country you do not have to pay (or lose 'minutes') when you receive a call but only for outgoing calls. I learned that this is different in the US, for example. How is it in the U.K.? Also, I'm not really sure if I need a full plan and all, what would be a smart deal for me ---- please help =)

Thanks already,
All the best,
Pete
Reply 1
I'd be also really grateful for that kind of information :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
mitchubus
Hi,

I haven't been following the cell phone deals in Scotland/U.K. but I would be grateful for a comment which network is the best in Edinburgh (also price wise). I guess I won't phone too much, mostly I just want to be reachable. In my home country you do not have to pay (or lose 'minutes') when you receive a call but only for outgoing calls. I learned that this is different in the US, for example. How is it in the U.K.? Also, I'm not really sure if I need a full plan and all, what would be a smart deal for me ---- please help =)

Thanks already,
All the best,
Pete

All of the networks are quite similar in terms of cost so you won't lose out badly whichever you decide upon. You will not have to pay to recieve calls (unless someone calls you from overseas in which case I believe that you have to pay a small fee to collect the call). In terms of "plans", you could either go pay-as-you-go or have a contract. A contract would mean you would be tied in to paying a set amount each month in return for an allowance of minutes and/or text messages. On pay-as-you-go you would pay to keep your phone in credit ("top-up") and when you use your phone the cost will be subtracted from your credit. I m fan of pay-as-you-go because it doesn't tie you into any contract and you dont have a regular bill each month. Plus you can only use your phone when you have credit so if you are a bit short of money you dont have to worry about where the cash to pay your bill is coming from.

If you have any specific questions please post them and I'll try my best to answer them. :smile:
Reply 3
If I go I'm getting the Vodafone Online plan which includes 100 minutes to any network per month for only 15 pounds per month, which actually comes to be the same amount of money you'll be spending for a pay-as-you-go plan, and in some cases even less. You also get a whole great range of phones to choose from.
Reply 4
Its not necessary to be going on contract ... if i were you, stick to a Pay As You Go sim card, because that way you have control of how much your spending (weill i believe i do!) ...

All networks in the UK are of great quality. Prices are very similar on Pay As You Go, but i would advise anyone to go on the 02 Network, not only because im on it myself, but because it is simply the best!

You should get the Genie sim card, which is known as 'Online Talkalot' sim card. It costs £9.99 if you buy it off the 02 website, and basically this is how it works: ... if you top up £10 you get 300 FREE TEXT MESSAGES, and obviously £10 worth of calling credit, as well as 300 FREE WAP MINUTES!

I've been on this for almost a year now, and its ace! Go to www.02.co.uk for more info.

Hope i helped! See ya! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi! thanks to you all for helping me out. What strikes me about the o2 pay-as-you-go offer is that you _have_ to top up 10 pounds per month. Well, then I might actually take the 15 pound vodafone plan with minutes included?!

Thanks!
Peter
sshah

You should get the Genie sim card, which is known as 'Online Talkalot' sim card. It costs £9.99 if you buy it off the 02 website, and basically this is how it works: ... if you top up £10 you get 300 FREE TEXT MESSAGES, and obviously £10 worth of calling credit, as well as 300 FREE WAP MINUTES!

Why does it have to be so complicated? Why can't I just use my phone and pay for the minutes I call/SMS I sent? I don't really understand the point of giving away a phone when you get a contract either. First you get a phone, then a contract. It's not even legal in where I live (Finland, the land of Nokias :tongue:). Might be in the future tho.

So, what if I have a perfectly well working phone on my own and am not planning on changing it anytime soon, where can I get a sim card? From what I've heard, I've understood that most of the contracts come with a phone..?
Reply 7
That's true, it may also be network locked so you'll need to look into that.
Reply 8
Well if you were to get Voda's contract there is a whole range of free phones, if I were you and I wanted to use my current phone, I'd just choose one of those free phones and put it in the drawer in case the one you are using now fails you. To me it makes sense.
Reply 9
mitchubus
Hi! thanks to you all for helping me out. What strikes me about the o2 pay-as-you-go offer is that you _have_ to top up 10 pounds per month. Well, then I might actually take the 15 pound vodafone plan with minutes included?!

Thanks!
Peter

You guys make it sound as though its something so complicated! lol ...

You don't HAVE to top up £10 a month ... if u don't, u wont get ur free texts and wap minutes, that's all.

Latest

Trending

Trending