The Student Room Group

The Trains Society.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
hermaphrodite
when are you doing your ALR, crisps?

Have put it on hold for now as I'll be needing my ALR money for my holiday in the sun this year :biggrin:

Couple of other points I forgot to mention:

Train back home had LOTS of recovery time built in. Was timetabled 9 minutes at York and Doncaster, and 15 minutes at Darlington! :eek:

New Victoria line train on Sunday morning :teeth:. Wasn't expecting it, I thought they only ran late night.
I get fed up of excessive recovery time. I quite often get the Reading - Newcastle XC service from Leamington Spa to York. The northbound train has 15 mins recovery at Brum (well, technically not recovery - it's to give it an even spacing with the Plymouth - Edinburgh service), usually arrives at Derby 5 mins early, Sheffield almost 10 mins early, and Doncaster another 5 mins early. Total journey time is three hours. The southbound train takes only 2h30!
do the trains smell though
Reply 1983
They're Voyagers. Of course they smell! :p:
I work for London Underground and think trains are the best thing EVER!!!!!
mangomaz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVJSOFZxDE
calcium878
No first class on the Chiltern line!

Don't tell Nicholas Winterton.
Reply 1987
If the weather stays as gorgeous as it has been, I'll be doing the Settle-Carlisle line on Tuesday :teeth:
when buying an open return online you are given the option to reserve a seat.

If you reserve a seat, and then find some fat, smelly, ************ sitting next to you, can you change seats or are you obliged to sit at the reserved seat.

In essence, by reserving a seat online, are you essentially forcing yourself to buy "advance singles" (at standard price)
Reply 1989
hermaphrodite
when buying an open return online you are given the option to reserve a seat.

If you reserve a seat, and then find some fat, smelly, ************ sitting next to you, can you change seats or are you obliged to sit at the reserved seat.

In essence, by reserving a seat online, are you essentially forcing yourself to buy "advance singles" (at standard price)

They don't force you to sit in your reserved seat, it'd be absurd.
So what happens if you reserve a seat and then miss your train.

Can you use the ticket to board the next train. Note I don't want to buy advance singles.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have never reserved seats, apart from on adv singles, where it does it by default.

does it print the reservation seat notice on a separate ticket.
Reply 1991
As far as I know, reserving a seat makes absolutely no difference to the terms of your ticket - if the same ticket without a reservation allows you to take a different train, then so does the one with the reservation.
Reply 1992
With an open return, you can sit somewhere else if you want to, but you forfeit your reservation. With Advance tickets though, it's different. Most operators are the same, but some will make you sit in your reserved seat if you have an Advance ticket (as reservations are compulsory and you need to show your reservation to the guard so they know you're on the right train)

With open returns, you don't need to show the guard your reservation ticket, so they won't even know that seat is your reserved seat if you wish.

It will print the res notice on a separate ticket, like it does with Advance tickets

Miss your train, lose your seat. Reservations have to made AT LEAST 2 hours before the train leaves it's ORIGIN station (so say you're going York-Newcastle on East Coast, you'd have to make your reservation at LEAST 2 hours before the train is due to leave London)

Oh, and the Settle-Carlisle was :coma:
mangomaz

And if you are anything like a good number of people within the rail industry, you might move around, but you're unlikely to leave.

I've been in the rail industry for nearly 4 years now, and I have no desire to work in another industry.
Crisps

Oh, and the Settle-Carlisle was :coma:

what kinda train were you on?
Reply 1995
hermaphrodite
what kinda train were you on?

158 (vast majority of S&C services are 158 operated).

Was comfy too. Lovely squiahy seats :coma:
Expression
And if you are anything like a good number of people within the rail industry, you might move around, but you're unlikely to leave.

I've been in the rail industry for nearly 4 years now, and I have no desire to work in another industry.

Was on your line the other day (West Ham - Fenchurch St.)

Went to London at the weekend. Super off-peak return only £11.90, XC LMS-RDG, FGW RDG-PAD and then returned up the Chiltern Line.
My return went through the gate at Marylebone on the way back, but didn't get stamped. Luckily there's ways to get around that. :p:
Reply 1997
The lack of ticket checks on some services infuriates me at times :angry:. I've noticed now that Darlington, Durham, and Newcastle are gated, East Coast rely on them to do their ticket checks, as I've seen NO ticket checks on East Coast between these stations, yet tickets are always checked on TPE or XC services.

Yet the gates at Newcastle are still in test mode, so will take anything. Mind you, gates in general are pointless in big stations IMO. They still doesn't stop someone getting a single to Manors (cheapest fare from Newcastle), and getting on an East Coast service that is next stop Edinburgh! That's why I'm against gates at big stations like Newcastle. On commuter or metro lines (c2c for example) it is different, most people will be making short journeys, so gates are acceptable in situations such as these.
Crisps, you sooooo wanna be a guard/conductor ... I can tell :wink:
Reply 1999
hermaphrodite
Crisps, you sooooo wanna be a guard/conductor ... I can tell :wink:

Wouldn't pass the medical (I'm too fat, have dyspraxia, and am short sighted even with eye correction)

Plus you have to live within 30 minutes of a depot, and my nearest depot is Heaton (Newcastle). I can't get there in under an hour, let alone 30 minutes!

Quick Reply

Latest