The Student Room Group

The Trains Society.

Scroll to see replies

lol virgin
Does anyone know if the service is good at Euro star?
customer service?
I assumed they would have 'special' staff :frown:
Sephirona
I assumed they would have 'special' staff :frown:

Well, they are a little bit special at least; the announcements are in 3 languages on board; which is different.

And if you go to the buffet car, then there'll be staff who can speak in 3 languages for when you order from the menu.

But unless you go up there to the buffet car, then other than the person showing you into the coach, and then the ticketing bod, you won't see them again until you get off the other side.

Of course, unless you're in business class; then you get an at seat service.
wesetters
The announcements have always just been English and French for me...which is the same as on most TGV I've been on (except once when there were announcements only in English and Italian, which was amusing for the French passengers).

English, French and Flemish on mine. Though I was on a Brussels-Waterloo service.
Reply 385
I didn't know there were English announcements on the TGV. Why?
Reply 386
Quick question regarding first class seat reservations.I have a reservation on a Voyager, and my seat number is A6A. I know FCis Coach A, but is the second A for airline or aisle?
Reply 387
Crisps
Quick question regarding first class seat reservations.I have a reservation on a Voyager, and my seat number is A6A. I know FCis Coach A, but is the second A for airline or aisle?

Airline.
Reply 388
Just had to pass this on to you people. Great complaint letter response...

I sent a letter to the as was Central Trains the other week, after the train and replacement bus both failed to arrive, and I was sent home in a Taxi (Stoke -> Derby). I was supposed to be in about 10.10, I got back after midnight. Not impressed, and naturally I complained. They refunded my ticket, paid me my taxi and sent this explanation:

"I can confirm we were particularly short of train drivers that day ... our staff work weekends voluntairily, so we cannot guarantee services ... our replacement bus inexplicably chose not to stop at Stoke ... we understand the slight inconvinience this may have caused you"

Is it just me that amuses? "Particularly short of train drivers" - Your a train company for ****s sake! :lol:

Minardi
Reply 389
I love trains :smile: Had a looovely ride up to nottingham and Loughborough, both quite nice stations, lots of wrought iron. I like wrought iron :redface: I was travelling Mid-Eastern Trains or whatever its called, and it was actually quite nice :smile: And i made up a new card game too :biggrin: Cross between my personal version of Hearts and Honeymoon Bridge. It's still a work in progress, I need to sort out a few more rules.
Reply 390
ukebert
I love trains :smile: Had a looovely ride up to nottingham and Loughborough, both quite nice stations, lots of wrought iron. I like wrought iron :redface: I was travelling Mid-Eastern Trains or whatever its called, and it was actually quite nice :smile: And i made up a new card game too :biggrin: Cross between my personal version of Hearts and Honeymoon Bridge. It's still a work in progress, I need to sort out a few more rules.

It's East Midlands Trains :p: [formerly Midland Mainline]

It's going to be fun when TransPennine Express take over the Manchester-Glasgows using 185s [which go at 100mph rather than the 125mph Voyagers they are replacing, or the 140mph [top speed.not running speed] Pendolinos...

Incidently, I don't see why people complain about Pendos meing nois. I find them pretty quiet. The tilt is cool too.
Reply 391
Jangrafess
You'll have to teach me this. I have ten hours on trains next Saturday.

Unfortunately tis for 2 people. Try Calculation, it's my favourite patience :smile:
Reply 392
Jangrafess
:frown: Right hand vs. Left hand?

What's that one then?

I have tried RH vs LH, it invariably ends in stalemate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculation_%28solitaire%29

I'm not very good at it :redface:
Reply 393
I'm going on a train next week :biggrin:

[a ****ty 158 for 3 hours :hmpf:]
I like the Gatwick Express, it intrigues me (as such).

Only posting here now, as my dad made me sit through a few hours of a train dvd, which was quite interesting, today.

:smile:
Reply 395
aww! thats no good! :frown:
Minardi
Just had to pass this on to you people. Great complaint letter response...

I sent a letter to the as was Central Trains the other week, after the train and replacement bus both failed to arrive, and I was sent home in a Taxi (Stoke -> Derby). I was supposed to be in about 10.10, I got back after midnight. Not impressed, and naturally I complained. They refunded my ticket, paid me my taxi and sent this explanation:

"I can confirm we were particularly short of train drivers that day ... our staff work weekends voluntairily, so we cannot guarantee services ... our replacement bus inexplicably chose not to stop at Stoke ... we understand the slight inconvinience this may have caused you"

Is it just me that amuses? "Particularly short of train drivers" - Your a train company for ****s sake! :lol:

Minardi

Central were always unable to secure a Sunday working agreement, and so it meant that they worked voluntarily.
This quite often resulted in varying amounts of Sunday services being cancelled due to traincrew shortage.

You'll have to see if London Midland can have more success in securing Sunday driver agreements.
ukebert

You would like the refurbed Barlow shed at St Pancras. Lush. I spent a while just staring aimlessly skyward earlier today with a huge smile on my face.
Reply 398
I had problems with Central once getting back from Cmbridge, they had a shortage of train crew so my service was cancelled :frown:

Oh, and the next time I go to London, I'm going to see St Pancras.
Reply 399
Expression
You would like the refurbed Barlow shed at St Pancras. Lush. I spent a while just staring aimlessly skyward earlier today with a huge smile on my face.

Are you kidding?! I've been dreaming about it for about a month! Well, not literally (yet). It won't beat Paddignton for me though :biggrin:

I'm trying to think of a reason to go down there.

Quick Reply

Latest