The Student Room Group

The Trains Society.

Scroll to see replies

Apparently that NEEC can offer me £10 fares to London at new year (from Leeds). What's the catch? (ie apart from having to travel on that exact train- I just don't get how they can offer it so cheap).
Crisps
You woulda thought East Coast would've come up with a snappier, shorter name though...

Well to be honest the name is just 'National Express', as was being announced at Kings Cross today when I went over to have a look.

The only time you'll apparently hear any distinction being made is when it's between two different National Express identities; eg National Express East Coast, and National Express East Anglia.

Going to Kings Cross wasn't actually the purpose of my day's travels today, it was to go to St Pancras to catch a look at the FCC platforms at International which opened for service today.
Very nice! Far far far improved on KX Thameslink!
So had a ride up to Kentish Town and back.
Reply 582
calcium878
Apparently that NEEC can offer me £10 fares to London at new year (from Leeds). What's the catch? (ie apart from having to travel on that exact train- I just don't get how they can offer it so cheap).

There isn't one. I used to go Sheffield to London for a £5 under midland mainline, and Edinburgh to Barnsley for £10 under virgin. (at new year!) I noticed NEEC had £20 tickets left for me to go back to Edinburgh for new year, but i'm still getting a more expensive ticket (its only £10 more for the return than to buy 2 singles), just so i have flexibility if the weather is bad, and i can't be bothered to travel!
~Kirsty~
There isn't one. I used to go Sheffield to London for a £5 under midland mainline, and Edinburgh to Barnsley for £10 under virgin. (at new year!) I noticed NEEC had £20 tickets left for me to go back to Edinburgh for new year, but i'm still getting a more expensive ticket (its only £10 more for the return than to buy 2 singles), just so i have flexibility if the weather is bad, and i can't be bothered to travel!

Wow, all good then :yy:
Reply 584
Expression
Going to Kings Cross wasn't actually the purpose of my day's travels today, it was to go to St Pancras to catch a look at the FCC platforms at International which opened for service today.
Very nice! Far far far improved on KX Thameslink!

To be honest a cow shed would be an improvement on KX Thameslink :rolleyes: However I can't wait to go to Pancras on a train :smile:

Crisps
Also on the homempage they have a pic of their new livery. I have to say it's, erm, different.

It is that...
Reply 585
calcium878
Wow, all good then :yy:

Except the specific time business, and sometimes if the trains cancelled you might have to wait for the next one of that operator (or sometimes they let you get on any train). It gets you from A to B though! :biggrin:
Reply 586
If you are holding an advance ticket, and your train is cancelled, or you miss your train because of a late connection, you can get the next one you can. I always check with someone on the station, but I've done it on a Virgin value from Brum to Oxford, when the Aber train was termoned at Wolves [again :rolleyes:]

Incidently I currently have a wodge of 12 little orange cards sat on my laptop form when I go home at Christmas [4 Advance singles [2 of em First :biggrin:], with a ticket, seat res, and receipt for each, collected from the ticket machine in Aber]
ukebert
To be honest a cow shed would be an improvement on KX Thameslink :rolleyes: However I can't wait to go to Pancras on a train :smile:

True that may be!

Pancras Low Level on a train is just completely different; it looks so clean and fresh. Obviously there's no wonderment at the roof and stuff, but that comes when you come up to The Arcade at the surface.

The real test will be tomorrow - bet there's still loads of people who don't know about the change!

Apparently in 2015 the Great Northern services to Cambridge and Peterborough that are currently running from the Kings Cross sub-urban platforms move to St Pancras Low Level as part of the Thameslink programme as well and so the frequency through there will become immense.
Reply 588
I didn't realise theres two levels at St Pan, but of course there is for Thameslink :redface:, So FCC on the bottom, and E*/EMT on the top then.
Crisps
I didn't realise theres two levels at St Pan, but of course there is for Thameslink :redface:, So FCC on the bottom, and E*/EMT on the top then.

Yuh huh.

Platforms A & B First Capital Connect.
Platforms 1-4 East Midlands Trains
Platforms 5-10 Eurostar
Platforms 11-13 Domestic HS1 (2009)
Boo, I wish I had an excuse to go to London :frown::p:
I'll have to stick with the TransPennine Express for the time being :love:
Train was packed today :argh:
Ooh, I'm going on A FGW train from Paddington tomorrow! I'm going to reading, but will be travelling there non stop, on one of those fast trains that go to places like Swansea etc. Any idea what rolling stock it will be?
Reply 593
dk9
Ooh, I'm going on A FGW train from Paddington tomorrow! I'm going to reading, but will be travelling there non stop, on one of those fast trains that go to places like Swansea etc. Any idea what rolling stock it will be?

Probably an HST.
Broken down (?) HST in Harringay this morning, in the GNER/NatEx livery- the blue, but with a white stripe on the carriages instead of red. That was odd, as we rattled by on the 3xx class packed standing-room-only EMU...

For Diss. I'm currently looking at how people learnt to draw railways and trains. It's quite interesting! Some of the early attempts are rather funny.
Reply 595
Have you seen the full new NatEx livery James?

If not, click here

one railway is getting rebranded in a similar way too [National Express East Anglia or something]
Reply 596
I'm a little confused. Coming back to uni in December 29th, I have a seat reservation in First Class on the 10:57 Darlington - Brum New Street CrossCountry service. However, my seat reservation is Coach A seat 34A, which I thought was a tad high for a seat number in FC on a Voyager. So, I checked the Voyager tour on the Virgin site [Voyager tour is still up because Virgin still use some Voyagers on the Holyhead runs], and according to that there are 28 FC seats. However, if you hover the mouse over the carriage diagram, you can see the seat numbers, and seat 34 is at the very back of the coach, by the wheelchair space. Why are the seat numbers incoherant?

I got a bit excited for a minute as I thought I might've been on an HST :redface:
Speaking of HST's, they are very nice. I felt like I was in the 1930's walking down the platforms at Paddington. There was this weird guy who kept on ranting down the train, saying: "You're all going to burn in hell!" He was taken away by the police at Reading. The further away from London, the stranger it gets...
dk9
Speaking of HST's, they are very nice. I felt like I was in the 1930's walking down the platforms at Paddington. There was this weird guy who kept on ranting down the train, saying: "You're all going to burn in hell!" He was taken away by the police at Reading. The further away from London, the stranger it gets...

If you want 1930s, get off at Reading and go to Didcot. :wink:
Reply 599
That's the GWR place isn't it? I need to go there at some point :rolleyes:

I've been to STEAM and York, but not there :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest