The Student Room Group

The Trains Society.

Scroll to see replies

ok. i wanna go from manchester to london on 7th april. depart circa 2;45pm return (leave london) circa half 9 pm. what's the cheapest deal people can find.

which is the best website?
On train specifically?
About £34 with a Young Persons Railcard, about £50 if not (Virgin trains website).

(Fares like these make me wish I lived nearer the WCML :frown:)
calcium878
On train specifically?

yep - i've already looked on megabus/national express. too inconvenient.
calcium878
About £34 with a Young Persons Railcard, about £50 if not (Virgin trains website).

(Fares like these make me wish I lived nearer the WCML :frown:)

is that cheap day return or travelling at specific times i.e "value advance fares"?
thanx
lol. the mod deleted my post. aren't we allowed to mention "DM" on this forum? I wasn't trying to give them a plug
hermaphrodite
is that cheap day return or travelling at specific times i.e "value advance fares"?
thanx

Those are value advance fares. Though I believe Virgin are a bit more lenient with theirs (as to which train you can catch) than other InterCity TOCs.
Ooh, the saver return is £41.20 with a YPR. :smile:
calcium878
Those are value advance fares. Though I believe Virgin are a bit more lenient with theirs (as to which train you can catch) than other InterCity TOCs.

The value advance fares are limited. is it "hurry whilst stocks last" (and then the price rises) or "offer terminates x hours before travel" (and then the price rises) (or is it whichever comes first from the above 2)?

basically, what i'm asking is which variable do they use to increase the price? is it quota based or "time based"
Jangrafess
£27.10.

www.thetrainline.com

14.45 from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston. Return 21.00

Then put in 1 YPR. Then click 'check availability and prices.' Then '2 singles could be cheaper.' And its the first two tickets. :smile:

OK. I need to get to W1A 1AA (Portland Place) . see google. and nearest tube is oxford circus. how long will it take to get back via pied (foot) from W1A 1AA (Portland Place) to Oxford Circus.

Anyone here familiar with that neck of the woods?
and you can buy zone 1 tickets inclusive? do you save that much or not when you buy a zone1 inclusive. how much does a zone1 cost on it's own?
hermaphrodite
The value advance fares are limited. is it "hurry whilst stocks last" (and then the price rises) or "offer terminates x hours before travel" (and then the price rises) (or is it whichever comes first from the above 2)?

basically, what i'm asking is which variable do they use to increase the price? is it quota based or "time based"

I believe there is x amount of cheap tickets available. When they go, the price increases.
Jangrafess
About ten minutes.

Zone 1-2 travelcard is the lowest amount of zones. That's £5.30. And two singles would be cheaper, I think.

Nah, zone 1 singles are £4.00. Though better if you have an Oyster card - £1.50 a pop then.
calcium878
Nah, zone 1 singles are £4.00. Though better if you have an Oyster card - £1.50 a pop then.

can you buy a one off oyster card for the day?
Jangrafess
Yes. £2 for an Oyster. Then £3 on two singles. That's £5 and a £3 saving overall.

cool. and to buy the one off Oyster can you buy it from the ticket machine at euston?
is W1A 1AA within walking distance from Euston Station. Or you don't know how far it is from Euston?

thanx everyone for your co-op btw
Jangrafess
Yes. £2 for an Oyster. Then £3 on two singles. That's £5 and a £3 saving overall.

Nah, an Oyster is £3 (well was for me) and a day travelcard for zones 1 and 2 is only £5.30 - the latter being the better option.
Jangrafess
Ticket office in the Underground part of the station. It's a much longer walk. I'd pay the £5 if you don't know London that well, to be honest.

:yy:
Jangrafess
Well. Sort of. I'm sure he (her? Ah, it) will return to London at some point, so buying the Oyster might be worth that extra 70p in the long run.

Yeah probably. And then there's just me who likes his Oyster card :cool:
overall by using the tube and foot. it will take approx. how long from euston to portland place. would you avout half an hour?

Quick Reply

Latest