The Student Room Group

When Should You Start Revising

For the exams in January when is it good to start reviisng. I am doing Maths, History, Economics and Law also got citizenship which is compulsory. As everyone is saying that they're hard I'm just a bit worried about how I'll do. I want to get like A's and B's in the modules, I got 2A*s 6As 2Bs at GCSE not the best grades, are these grades realistic for me to get???, also I go to a school were only 30% :eek: of people passed lol, any help would be aprreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Grades are realistic, I got 2A's, 5B's and a Dist in GNVQ ICT at GCSE and aaabc at AS-level+maths predicted A at A2(sat no exams at AS)

Maths requires virtually no revsion at my school as we have SO much homework for it. Chemistry, Physics and Biology revision started december.
Reply 2
I'm just going to revise over Christmas as I hate revising when I am still doing the module, so yeah, as soon as I break up I'll just start revising for my Jan modules.

Maybe other people will start earlier, but that's just my preference.
Reply 3
start now its never too early!
When you have finished a topic in a subject write up all your notes so you dont have to rushing to do it nearer the time.
Then when yu get closer do past papers etc
the earlier the better. You should start making your notes as soon as possible. When these are made you could just read them every day and by December you will have remembered them. Then you can get going on exam technique and answering questions.
I NEED to do well in these modules if I am to have a solid application to university. For that reason, I am going to make revision notes on everything I have done so far, then in Christmas I will make some for that second half of the term, so then I can just learn them!:biggrin:

I would say begin to make notes, definately go through what you don't understand, and then revise properly towards the second half of term - get that?! :wink::biggrin:
Reply 6
christmas is a good i dea but going over things you've done wont do any harm
I'm hoping to make a start on revision in half term. We should have finished the syllabus in most subjects by then.
I revised for 10 weeks before my summer exams, for 5 before the winter. I should have done more for the winter. Essentially just think how long the course is for the particular module, do a test paper (a past one) and judge on that. 10 weeks seemed okay for me, but saying that I am very determined with these kind of things. Doing it for longer means You can space it all out, sit down and write a plan for the whole ten weeks , say with a sub a night or a part of each every night. For my a2 exams i managed AAB with an a in biology a/s (taken as an extra) and a resit a in a/s chemistry. I could have made it triple A but it was becuase I didnt spend enough time on chemistry, focusing too much on psychology. Also divide the time between the subjects dependent on your strengths, i.e I was strongest at Psychology but revised it the most, securing an A. Same with Physics.

xx
Each person is different,I left some of my revision to a few days before and still came away with A's.........
But usually I start a month before.
Reply 10
TheOlympiac
christmas is a good i dea but going over things you've done wont do any harm

Wow, you have predicted AS results already?
knoxuk
Wow, you have predicted AS results already?
Yeah I was just about to mention that... :s-smilie:
:work: :security:
Reply 13
i had law, geography and psychology exams all on the same day in jaunuary, and i left it till 3/4 days to do it in. mainly focused on pyschology and law tbh, and i came away with AAB. i find that, unless i know i HAVE to do revision i put it off, then it starts to dawn on me that i need to do it and then i work basically for 3 full days on revision :smile:
I'd say wait till the Christmas holidays, and then do 2 subjects every day for 2/3 hours each. That's what I did for my GCSE mocks last year-I did 1 hour of revision on 4 subjects most days, and that was with a lot more stuff to revise than 1 AS module. You can start revision now, and do a couple of hours every day in the 1/2 term, but the x-mas hols should be enough, if you've not got much else planned for them, ie if you're not going away or anything.
Reply 15
I absolutely loath revising until everything has been covered and basically I know where I stand with the work. However I want to get 90% plus in Biology and Chemistry and at least an A in S1 so I need to start working before that. In chemistry we have nearly finished everything apart from periodicity and the recap they do on balancing equations. Same in maths we just have the bionomials to cover. However in Biology we aren't even half way through the specification!

I've been really good though and kept my work neat so it should be easier this year to revise.
im starting next weekend to revise for Jan AS resits. Im jus writing up detailed notes now for the 6 modules im doing. Is it advisable to look at ur books on the day of the exam or should u do no revision on the day of the exam
Reply 17
steve2006
im starting next weekend to revise for Jan AS resits. Im jus writing up detailed notes now for the 6 modules im doing. Is it advisable to look at ur books on the day of the exam or should u do no revision on the day of the exam

i tend to get up early on exam day to refresh my mind on everything. i find it helps as it the most recent thing iv done and therefore easier to remember
The night before :proud:
I'm starting to revise for my 3 Jan resits, Today. And also AS Maths, becasue it is solid. I don't have any A2 Exams in jan. :biggrin:

Latest