The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do people actually appeal against those decisions? :s-smilie:

Why?
Reply 2
Some unis offer appeals processes, not sure if they all do hence the question.

You appeal if you think you've been hard done by basically.
Reply 3
purplegrass
Hi, I've had an unsuccessful response from Manchester uni, and was wondering if anyone knew if they had an appeals process that I can use to query the decision?

All help is much appreciated :smile:

Phone the uni. They'll tell you what appeal services they provide.

But honestly, do you think appealing will get you anywhere? They reject people for a reason, it may be nothing to do with you, but they're a competitive uni and have to say no to lots of great candidates.
Reply 4
I'll kick myself forever if I don't try.
You can probably ring them to find out why you were rejected but I know nothing about appealing the decision.
Reply 6
purplegrass
I'll kick myself forever if I don't try.

You could probably ring them up and ask for feedback/reasons as to why unsuccessful, there may be a good reason. If you just straight up ring and appeal, your going to sound desperate. At least if you ask for feedback you can understand their reasons, and then possibly appeal.
Reply 7
Well good luck.
What was the subject?
Reply 8
Generally the principle:
- Appeal the process not the decision = you can't just say 'but I think I deserve a place because I'm me', having no idea of what the competition is like...

So if you think something's gone wrong in the process i.e. admin error giving incorrect details, they didn't shortlist you when they said you'd get a guaranteed interview because you have XYZ qualifications, they didn't take into account exenuating circumstances that they said they would etc. then you normally can appeal or make a complaint - there should be a contact person on the university admissions website.

If it's more just the decision you disagree with then first step would probably be to politely, in writing request feedback regarding the outcome of your application. I'm not sure they have to give it to you (my only rejection letter charmingly said something along the lines of 'don't bother asking why - we won't be able to tell you' :rolleyes: ), though the Freedom of Information Act might change this?
Then if you think they've misjudged something vital you could try & provide supplementary information in support of asking them to reconsider you, but without holding your breath...
Reply 9
as far as i know the general process with regards to appeals is if the status of your application has changed; e.g. if you're rejected, but you get a remark through that changes your grade, you can appeal. same for if the wrong predicted grades go off, etc. -- or if you feel you've been discriminated against, i think...?

i appealed against a decision last year because my psychology as was remarked and went up a grade and thus affected my predicted grade too. didn't change the decision though, so i wouldn't be too hopeful.

that said, a friend last year was rejected by exeter for a course, rang up and asked them why and they ended up reconsidering and offering her a place. i'm a bit hazy on the details but i think that's what happened.
Reply 10
_bonnie
You could probably ring them up and ask for feedback/reasons as to why unsuccessful, there may be a good reason. If you just straight up ring and appeal, your going to sound desperate. At least if you ask for feedback you can understand their reasons, and then possibly appeal.

:ditto: Yeah, that.
Reply 11
Someone i know got rejected from UCL for medicine and when he phoned them and asked why it turned out that they hadn't actually looked at his application. They had a look at it, decided to give him an interview, and then gave him a place.

What i think happened was that he missed the boundary in the BMAT to be guaranteed an interview so they rejected him automatically. But when they actually took the time to look at his personal statement, etc they saw he was a strong candidate.

I'd say its definately worth asking for feedback but i don't think appealing is going to be too successful.
Reply 12
Its unlikely to work - but by all means phone up, ask for feedback about why you were rejected, and then if you think you have a chance ask about appealing.

Latest

Trending

Trending