The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science

Out of interest, does anyone do it? I'm applying this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have applied this year, only to one place though, as my other choices are medicine with pre-med year!

Have you heard from anywhere yet?
I haven’t seen anyone on tsr doing Paramed sci.
there are / were several paramedic science students on TSR ( i was made aware of TSR by one) but i think many of them now don't post on here becasue of the negative attitude of some of the petty minded spoilt little sods who post on TSR

you'd be far bettr off on Ambulance999.co.uk forums, plenty on there and plenty of NHS frontline emergency staff, ( Nurses, Doctors, Paramedics, Techs ...) and other Ambulance / emergency medicla services people
Reply 3
zippyRN
there are / were several paramedic science students on TSR ( i was made aware of TSR by one) but i think many of them now don't post on here becasue of the negative attitude of some of the petty minded spoilt little sods who post on TSR

you'd be far bettr off on Ambulance999.co.uk forums, plenty on there and plenty of NHS frontline emergency staff, ( Nurses, Doctors, Paramedics, Techs ...) and other Ambulance / emergency medicla services people

Sorry to sound ignorant, but why was there negative attitude?
Reply 4
Hey coolguy456 :smile: Out of interest, just wondering how you're wrangling applying to two really quite different courses?

And thanks for the advice zippy :biggrin:
Reply 5
Revd. Mike
Hey coolguy456 :smile: Out of interest, just wondering how you're wrangling applying to two really quite different courses?

Hey, Mike. In answer to your question, I was quite interested in becoming a paramedic before I realised I could apply for pre-med year!

As I didn’t have any science a-levels, there is no option for me applying to biomedicine or anything like that simply because I don’t have any of the requirements (and I really wouldn’t enjoy it). So my logical explanation was to apply for something hands on and practical, yet health related, I debated nursing, but I really couldn’t see myself as a nurse. So I decided to use my 5th choice for paramedic science. I would then hope to gain some experience and hopefully go into grad med and even if that doesn’t happen. I would still be happy helping people as a paramedic. :smile: I applied to Bournemouth and their FdSc paramedic science.

Although, ideally I’m hoping to get a place at one of my other four choices.:redface:
Reply 6
Ah, I get it, cool :smile:

I've applied to Herts for the BSc course, I'm told that it's pretty fierce course, hopefully I'm up to it :biggrin:
Reply 7
you're doing exactly what i want to do coolguy456, however im applying for the BSC

i failed my driving test today, so feeling pretty down? and doubting everything!

REVD. Mike, by fierce, do you mean an intense work load??

i gotta ask, this has been on my mind for a while, do any of you that apply for paramedic sciences wonder how you will cope with all the stuff you will see?? like all the broken legs arms severe injuries? because i do!
Reply 8
I'm really not squeamish in the slightest, blood and guts don't bother me, the only thing I mind is smells like gangrenous flesh lol.

By fierce, I mean that it's very competitive, and once you get on you're required to work to a pretty exacting standard.
Reply 9
that's cool, how is herts its a choice of mine? i've only heard bad things about the social side...but great things about the course. So ultimatly im trying to decide between plymouth and hertfordshire
Reply 10
Well, in Hatfield itself there are a few pubs and bars, a couple of whcih are quite nice, Welwyn Garden City down the road has a few good ones. The Union is good I'm told. There's St. Albans and Stevenage not far away and Watford's a littlw further that have pretty god bars and clubs. There's also the Galleria shopping centre, it's got some good shops, a bunch of nice restuarants, couple of bars and a cinema, and in WGC there's another smaller shopping centre that's also pretty good.

And of course, you're about 30 minutes by train from the middle of London :smile:
Reply 11
just been rejected from plymouth, i cant seem to understand why

they ask for BCC i got BBC i got voluntary work exp at a hospital, st john ambulance, good personal statement, driving licence, im 18..............
Reply 12
ooh I've finally found some more paramedic people. :smile:
How are everyones' applications going, has anyone actually had any offers yet?

P_Ben21 I can't understand why you've been rejected from Plymouth either, you basically have everything I've got in my application, did they not even ask for a second reference or anything? I had to send one at the end of October but I've heard nothing since?! :confused:
I'm applying for paramedic science at:
Northampton
Sheffield Hallam
LJMU
UClan
Coventry
So far I have interviews at everywhere apart from UClan who I haven't heard off. Though if anywhere will actually want to offer me a place is another matter!
As for the coping with what you see I don't think I would find it to bad. Blood, guts etc don't bother me in the slightest.

And I was wondering other people applying this year if you don't get offered a place are you going to try again next year or just try for a different course?
Reply 14
Well, if i dont get in i'm going to Sussex downs college to do foundation medicine, then after that i'll apply to medical school :smile:
Reply 15
Wiz17 what were your a levels in if you dont mind me asking? and how old are you??
Reply 16
Oh and P.S just saw you had an interview?! how did it go?! i had one last year but i messed up big time, turned up hungover! what sorta questions did they ask??
Reply 17
I am also trying to get onto a paramedic course. I have an interview at Coventry in March (how come yours was so early?!!). I have also been asked for further references for Plymouth and Bournemouth but not heard back yet. Really frustrating - just want to get on with it and most of my friends know where they are going!
Any chance of some hints as to what to expect at interview?!
Reply 18
well mmrats, in my interview for Herts.....they asked me

why did you chose a BSC in paramedic sciences
they then said tell me about yourself
then they asked an increadbily ambiguous question, which could have any answer!!

ill set the scene -
the paramedic interviewing me says:
ok you're called to a bar where there is a girl and her boyfriend, the girl has a head lac and you need to help her...the boyfriend is unwilling to cooperate he wants you to stay away, what do you do?

at this i said use a calm tone talk to him normally....he then wanted me to expand i couldn't

then after i had finished he told me that i should have answered, use his friends to calm him down.......when he didnt even say if he had any friends! i was screwed i think

they then asked me what i thoughti could offer my patients: i said sympathy....which is A **** **** answer!!! always answer something like comfort or someone to talk to
Reply 19
P_Ben21
Wiz17 what were your a levels in if you dont mind me asking? and how old are you??

I'm 18 and currently doing A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Geography. My interview at Herts went ok (I think?!) they didn't ask me any hard questions like they seem to have asked you last year! It was just, 'why do you want to be a paramedic?' and then just talking about the stuff I'd written in my personal statement. More of a friendly chat than an interview really!

I still haven't heard anything from UClan or Plymouth and the closing date for applications was 2 weeks ago now. Has anyone else heard anything since then?

Quick Reply

Latest