The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
There are far too many hooops to jump through even before we get there! well done for finishing..bet thats a relief in its self!! Hopefully mine will change soon too because all my work has been pretty much marked and we qualify on the 1st june.

thats cool...I will get some time to wind down from working all summer then!! :biggrin: Egypt sounds fab!

Tbf accomodation so far has been pritty pain free....hopefully it will continue to be that way! Yeh there is that altho 45mins every morn n nite isnt so appeling...rolling out of bed to lectures is :smile: lol
Reply 981
I agree, I shouldn't be getting my hopes up yet. My health questionnaire is going to be pretty much hit/miss in my own opinion (I don't have any ongoing health issues, i.e. everything is resolved, but what I did originally suffer from might affect any decision making), and also my attendance at college was utterly diabolical at the start of this year.

Also I have to pass all my exams at A level and get the required points for the conditional offer... and do everything else.... it's going to be a long long process.

Oh well, all I can do is hope! :smile:

Marineio,am kind of in a similar position with health questionnaire. nothing too ongoing,but something I am worried about. anyone know the views on BMI's?
Reply 983
benking116
Marineio,am kind of in a similar position with health questionnaire. nothing too ongoing,but something I am worried about. anyone know the views on BMI's?

At the briefing day there will be a SOMA health representative, so i'm sure we could discuss things like that with them.

BMI is so inaccurate with regards to muscle though that I wouldn't have thought they'd use that on its own to prevent someone doing the course. I have seen plenty of portly paramedics around!

Also need to know if blood donor HIV/Hep C tests count!
Marineio
At the briefing day there will be a SOMA health representative, so i'm sure we could discuss things like that with them.

BMI is so inaccurate with regards to muscle though that I wouldn't have thought they'd use that on its own to prevent someone doing the course. I have seen plenty of portly paramedics around!

Dunno. Its only another needle aint it lol
Reply 985
benking116
Dunno. Its only another needle aint it lol

Haha, I suppose. Less blood they take out of me the better though :P
Marineio
Haha, I suppose. Less blood they take out of me the better though :P

mine gets spilt enough at work!
Marineio

Hey. Do you mean whether having been tested for Hep C/HIV could affect your medical? I don't think it will as I believe it's fully confidential anyway and also, many healthcare proffessionals are tested regularly anyway if the come into contact with blood, so I wouldn't worry about. Any responsible adult who's sexually active would have been tested anyway.
I don't think being a blood donor would be an issue either.
Cheers
Reply 988
ProjectGaz
Hey. Do you mean whether having been tested for Hep C/HIV could affect your medical? I don't think it will as I believe it's fully confidential anyway and also, many healthcare proffessionals are tested regularly anyway if the come into contact with blood, so I wouldn't worry about. Any responsible adult who's sexually active would have been tested anyway.
I don't think being a blood donor would be an issue either.
Cheers

Actually there's a part on the health questionnaire about if you've been tested for HIV/Hep C, that's all I wanted to know how I should fill that in :P
Hi Guys,

Comin to the end of my first year at Hertfordshire on the BSc Paramedic Science course. Am happy to answer any questions you might have. Fire away.
herts_student_para
Hi Guys,

Comin to the end of my first year at Hertfordshire on the BSc Paramedic Science course. Am happy to answer any questions you might have. Fire away.

Hey, welcome to TSR :smile:

Just a few questions - What's the social life like as a para student?
Do you regret choosing uni over the apprenticeship route?
How have you found the workload?

Ta :smile:
HI :smile:

Nightlife is the same as any other student really, if you get your work out of the way and done before its due in you go go out and have a good time. Not sure whether you mean in hertfordshire, but there are plenty of nice bars in surrounding areas, and there will be a new student union open this year.
I dont regret choosing uni over training with the ambulance service cos i always saw myself goin to uni and this is a good way of combining the 2.
So far the workload has been fine, just gotta keep yourself organised because sometimes you could have 5 or 6 deadlines at a time, but i have found it easy to manage.
x
Heyy,
Just wondered if anyone is at, or goin to St. george's in sept 09 to do paramedic science?
I think i'm the only one lol cos everyones either withdrawn or deferring to 2010 :frown:
x
Reply 993
Worcester Jan 10 Unconditional firm! :smile: :smile: can't wait!
Reply 994
Rob839
Worcester Jan 09 Unconditional firm! :smile: :smile: can't wait!

You mean Jan 10? :P
Reply 995
Marineio
You mean Jan 10? :P

lol yeah, thanks!
Rob839
Worcester Jan 10 Unconditional firm! :smile: :smile: can't wait!

Congrats Rob

You will see us around then, Im a Sept 09 starter.
Hi i'm currently doing my As Levels and for a long time now i've wanted to be a paramedic. Reading all your troubles getting into Uni has slightly worried me. If do as expected i will achieve the right about amount of UCAS points, i also work part time in a care home and im seriously thinking about joining st johns ambulance..............

Is there anything else i can do to improve my chances ?
The only science based subject i do is biology which tbh i'm really not sure if i will achieve C at A level. Should i be thinking about picking up a new science base subject next year ? What subjects did you guys do ?

Sorry about all the questions :o:
Reply 998
GambleByName
Hi i'm currently doing my As Levels and for a long time now i've wanted to be a paramedic. Reading all your troubles getting into Uni has slightly worried me. If do as expected i will achieve the right about amount of UCAS points, i also work part time in a care home and im seriously thinking about joining st johns ambulance..............

Is there anything else i can do to improve my chances ?
The only science based subject i do is biology which tbh i'm really not sure if i will achieve C at A level. Should i be thinking about picking up a new science base subject next year ? What subjects did you guys do ?

Sorry about all the questions :o:

Show you do a wide range of things becasue Paramedics need to have character, but a lot of it seems to be in the interview though!

I'm doing Psychology, Chemistry and RS - Psychology should be ok, Cmemistry I'm wokring hard at, RS won't be too strong so I will be getting my points from the first two I think! I did Biology at AS and dropped it because you will be taught what is needed on the course when we get there and surely a better mark is more important?!

Hope that helps?!
Thanks for help :smile:
I do Biology, media, english lit and business. My grades are good (above C) in all of them but biology so im considering dropping this and picking up Psychology however that means ill have to study for another year before uni to achieve A2 in this ?
I spoke to my friends mum who's a qualified paramedic and she suggested if i didnt want to go uni that i should think about becoming a ECA ? to gain experience ?

Quick Reply

Latest