The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Haha...how strange! lol xx
moved into uwe! wohoo here at last
I'm applying for 2010 entry. Don't have my driving license yet, but am learning and hope to do a C1 course soon after I finish. I'm 18 and in St John Ambulance. Also managed to get myself an observer shift on a first response car with a paramedic I know, hopefully that will give me something to talk about if I get interviews :biggrin:
Reply 1183
chriscpritchard
I'm applying for 2010 entry. Don't have my driving license yet, but am learning and hope to do a C1 course soon after I finish. I'm 18 and in St John Ambulance. Also managed to get myself an observer shift on a first response car with a paramedic I know, hopefully that will give me something to talk about if I get interviews :biggrin:

hey chris, im starting UWE in 2010. got my place confirmed. In prep for next year, getting your driving license would be an advantage. Doing observer shifts helped me alot in my interview, it gives you loads to talk about! If possible, do as many as you can as unis are very tight on experiance. The only experiance i had was through observer shifts and i managed to get an offer so im sure you will benefit. which uni(s) are you applying to?

keep me posted! P.s. good luck!
XstaceyX
hey chris, im starting UWE in 2010. got my place confirmed. In prep for next year, getting your driving license would be an advantage. Doing observer shifts helped me alot in my interview, it gives you loads to talk about! If possible, do as many as you can as unis are very tight on experiance. The only experiance i had was through observer shifts and i managed to get an offer so im sure you will benefit. which uni(s) are you applying to?

Applied to:
University of Hertfordshire - Paramedic Science (BSc)
University of Brighton - Paramedic Practice (BSc)
University of Surrey - Paramedic Practice (BSc)
University of Plymouth - Paramedic Practitioner (Community Emergency Health) (BSc)
St George's, University of London - Paramedic Science (FdSc)

hoping to get in, I have the academic grades, and I have some relevent experience (SJA + the observer shift soon), so it should go smoothly, other than driving really (I'm getting there, should be ready by december though!)
XstaceyX

Hey Stacey

How's it going? First day of term today, rubbish! Sat at my desk in work-I shouldn't be here!!

Have you got some stuff lined up to keep you busy for the next year? So glad I have a place sorted though, at least I have an end date.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well and haven gone crazy yet.
chriscpritchard
Applied to:
University of Hertfordshire - Paramedic Science (BSc)
University of Brighton - Paramedic Practice (BSc)
University of Surrey - Paramedic Practice (BSc)
University of Plymouth - Paramedic Practitioner (Community Emergency Health) (BSc)
St George's, University of London - Paramedic Science (FdSc)

hoping to get in, I have the academic grades, and I have some relevent experience (SJA + the observer shift soon), so it should go smoothly, other than driving really (I'm getting there, should be ready by december though!)

Hi Christopher

I'm also starting at UWE in 2010
sounds like you've got a really good bank of qualifications & experience behind you so just work on your interview skills, start thinking hard about why you want to be a paramedic and also think of a couple of interesting questions you can ask your interviewer(s) at the end of the interview. That's your chance to take control and show a bit more of yourself.
Keep going with the driving but check whether or not C1 training is included and funded with your course because it'll cost the best part of £1,000! Some uni's have managed to persuade the local ambulance trusts to fund it.

Best of luck with the application!
Reply 1187
ProjectGaz
Hey Stacey

How's it going? First day of term today, rubbish! Sat at my desk in work-I shouldn't be here!!

Have you got some stuff lined up to keep you busy for the next year? So glad I have a place sorted though, at least I have an end date.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well and haven gone crazy yet.

I know the feeling! i still havn't decided what to do with myself but havn't gone crazy yet!
I am glad that my place is sorted too. Happy that i dont have to go through the interview process again :/
Reply 1188
Hello everyone!
I am new to this :smile:
I have also got a place at UWE for 2010 ! It would be great to get to know people before it all starts for us - which im sure it will much sooner than we all think! Do people have facebook maybe? Harriet x
harrietI
Hello everyone!
I am new to this :smile:
I have also got a place at UWE for 2010 ! It would be great to get to know people before it all starts for us - which im sure it will much sooner than we all think! Do people have facebook maybe? Harriet x

Hi Harriet

Congratulations on getting a place at UWE. As far i know, there's me, Stacey and Jamsey (and you now!) on here joining in 2010. So that's four out of a course of 20. I reckon by the time we start, atleast half of the course will be in touch with each other through this forum!

So what inspired the decision to become a Paramedic?
Reply 1190
Thanks very much, its all very exciting! You are probably right about that!
Well a large number of things to be honest...i always wanted to work with people in a health care environment, but never particularly fancied being a doctor or a nurse or something. I could never do to the same job every day, i need to be out there with lots of excitement and variety in my day. I think i origionally thought about how amazing it would be to be a paramedic when i was younger from watching casualty! - the reality of how being a paramedic actually will be, to me is even more exciting!

How about you, is it something you have always thought about doing?
Where abouts are you from ?
I'm off to look at Surrey tomorrow, anyone else from TSR going too?
harrietI
Thanks very much, its all very exciting! You are probably right about that!
Well a large number of things to be honest...i always wanted to work with people in a health care environment, but never particularly fancied being a doctor or a nurse or something. I could never do to the same job every day, i need to be out there with lots of excitement and variety in my day. I think i origionally thought about how amazing it would be to be a paramedic when i was younger from watching casualty! - the reality of how being a paramedic actually will be, to me is even more exciting!

How about you, is it something you have always thought about doing?
Where abouts are you from ?

Cool, it looks like such a varied job, no two days the same and then excitement thrown in when you get the emergency calls!
I used to work in a care home, which I initially hated.. Seriously wanted to quit after one shift.. But once I got used to the crap, being slapped, punched, screamed at. I really started to enjoy working with the patients and feeling good about what I could do for them as a carer and we sometimes had paramedics out when our patients fell and injured themselves or collapsed and I just really wanted to do it.. Then I moved and got lost in a well paid office job and thought that was for me, but I never felt satisfied and the Paramedic thing was always on my mind, then I got chatting to an old school friend who's training in London, and he just loves it, he says it's long hours, hard ass work, but he's just so into it that it doesn't matter, so I decided to go for it!
I already live in Bristol, been here for 4 years so just staying put in my flat when I start the course - What about you?
Reply 1193
Wow thats such a great story of success! This may sound rather far fetched, but you dont work at UWE already do you ? At my interview i was talking to someone with a rather similar story...!
I am born and bred in Bristol, so not really going very far either! I will probably move into halls, at least for the first year anyway!
All the paramedics i have spoken to have told a similar story of the hard work and long hours, but they have also all said how much they get from the job and how exciting it is, i cant wait to feel the thrill of it!
harrietI
Wow thats such a great story of success! This may sound rather far fetched, but you dont work at UWE already do you ? At my interview i was talking to someone with a rather similar story...!
I am born and bred in Bristol, so not really going very far either! I will probably move into halls, at least for the first year anyway!
All the paramedics i have spoken to have told a similar story of the hard work and long hours, but they have also all said how much they get from the job and how exciting it is, i cant wait to feel the thrill of it!

Haha, no I don't work for UWE. When did you interview? I was on March 10th. Did you apply for 2009 or were you always planning 2010?
Hi everyone - thought i would update you on life as a student paramedic. It's bleeding brilliant. OK so this week has been some boring admin type stuff, but for the most part very interesting and very exciting.

The timetable is pretty full on, and there's not gonna be a lot of time for much else, but thats OK with me, I just wanna really get stuck into it now, and thats exactly what's happening as from monday - with the delights of BLS etc.

Anyway - hope this next year flies past for you - cos it's gonna be blinkin fab!
Well guys
Here at UofW,
We have done BLS, Manual Handling, ECG placement (3 lead) BM's, resps, pulse, bp's. Out on placement as of Monday :biggrin:
Shell1981
Hi everyone - thought i would update you on life as a student paramedic. It's bleeding brilliant. OK so this week has been some boring admin type stuff, but for the most part very interesting and very exciting.

The timetable is pretty full on, and there's not gonna be a lot of time for much else, but thats OK with me, I just wanna really get stuck into it now, and thats exactly what's happening as from monday - with the delights of BLS etc.

Anyway - hope this next year flies past for you - cos it's gonna be blinkin fab!

God, rub it in why don't you!! Haha, just kidding. Appreciate the updates and really glad you're enjoying it so far, gives us a lot to look forward to!!
Hit a milestone myself today anyway, I now have a mere 222 days of work left.. Not that I'm counting or anything! I really shouldn't be wishing my life away!

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy it, keep us posted, unless anything bad crops up - then we don't want to know!
Oh, when you've got a minute, can you let me know what the timetable's like?
Cheers
Anyone got any advice for interviews, what legislation should I be aware of, anything else good to talk about?
chriscpritchard
Anyone got any advice for interviews, what legislation should I be aware of, anything else good to talk about?

Bradley Report/ Taking Healthcare to the Patient is a biggy!

Quick Reply

Latest